Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How important is it for male cats to have a litter box with a lid?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by CakesNCream, Jan 19, 2021.

1. CakesNCream

CakesNCream PetForums Newbie

Something like the first picture with the lid instead of the second litter box.

How important is this for male cats? How likely is it that male cats will pee outside of the litter box?

I would really love hearing your thoughts on this and your personal experiences. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@CakesNCream

Most of my male cats over the years have preferred open litter boxes. This may be because many of the covered boxes have restricted head room which does not provide enough space for a cat to squat comfortably in the upright pooing position.

Or it may be because if they live in a multicat household they are more conscious of the risk of being ambushed by one of the other cats as they leave a covered box

My girls on the other hand definitely prefer covered boxes, and other female cats I have had seemed to prefer covered boxes too. Perhaps just a coincidence....

If you do offer your male cats covered boxes please ensure you remove the door flaps and bin them. (Awful things! )

Neutered male cats are not really any more likely to pee outside the litter box than neutered female cats. There are many different reasons why a cat may pee outside the litter box, e.g. health reasons, dislike of the type of litter, dislike of the position of the box, litter box not being clean enough etc. Peeing outside the litter box may be nothing to do with whether the box is covered or not, on the other hand it could be a factor if the cat particularly hates covered boxes.

Some neutered male cats do spray indoors, though these tend to be cats who were neutered after sexual maturity (after 4 or 5 mths old) One of my rescued strays was not neutered until about 18 mths old (when I adopted him ) and has always had a tendency to spray indoors occasionally, for scent marking purposes. Nothing to do with using the litter box, which he does occasionally do for peeing in but he mostly toilets in the garden.

Some male cats like to pee quite high up the side of the box, a bit like spraying, and therefore a high sided box is useful for them, to prevent urine being splashed on the wall next to the box. I would probably choose open trays but with higher sides than the example you show. Some people use white high sided plastic storage boxes (without the lids of course ;))

buffie and CakesNCream like this.
  3. CakesNCream

Hi,
    thank you so much for your reply.

The litter box I'm actually interested in is the Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Litter System.

They do sell a version that is covered (thankfully without a flap) but it's much more expensive as it has been discontinued but im still willing to splurge if its the better option for the cat.

I do not own a cat yet, but am on a waiting list for kittens to be born in March. Maybe I will go for the open litter box.

Attached Files:

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The Purina Tidy Cats litter box looks a bit small for an adult cat. You would need at least 3 of those for one adult cat.

A kitten might manage with 2. (2 boxes are the minimum as cats like to pee and poo in different spots)

I have read quite a few complaints online that those Tidy Cats boxes smell bad, unless the pad is changed at least once a day. Wouldn't that work out a bit expensive to change it every day?

#4 chillminx, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    CakesNCream likes this.
  5. CakesNCream

I had no idea cats were meant to have more than one litter box, so thank you for letting me know about this.

I do know someone that uses this litter box and has had a good experience so it seems fine to me with the pads, and the size for their cat. I will be getting a Birman, so not the largest of cats but maybe it will be a good idea to get a larger one just in case.

I plan on using natural wood pelletes instead of the ones by Purina.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I hope your cat likes it! ;). Some cats are very fussy about the type of litter, others are more easy going.

CakesNCream likes this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

CakesNCream likes this.
  8. CakesNCream

Yeah I decided to not go with the covered trays after all, unless spraying does somehow become an issue but I'll start off with the open kind and see how it goes

9. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

A plastic storage box works well if you have a cat who pees standing up or seems to spray in the box. High sides but not covered.

CakesNCream likes this.
  10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I don't think The Purina system will work with normal wood pellets as they absorb moisture and break down into sawdust. The brit-pet trays are made for wood pellets. The broken down bits shake through the sieve into the bottom and can be composted.

CakesNCream likes this.
  11. CakesNCream

Oh thanks for the recommendation.

I see they sell a seperate litter box for kittens, would you say kittens need a smaller litter box?

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

A friend tried the adult sized Brit-box for her kitten, but he was not comfortable using it, She bought a couple of the kitten Brit-boxes and he took to them straight away, The kitten version is smaller and lower.

So, yes I would buy the kitten version Brit-box if you are going for this make. Change over to the adult version when the kitten is about 8 months old.

CakesNCream likes this.
  13. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

No point in my view.

CakesNCream likes this.
  14. CakesNCream

Thank you very much. This is so helpful

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice