Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Oct 6, 2013.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

We've had the winter coat thread, but it's getting warm here. How hot is too hot for your pooches? At what sort of temperature do you find it's ok to walk them in summer? Do you use a cool coat at all?

Just curious :) And loving the sun here! :D

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

All I can say is that it's a good job we live in Scotland ..... Maisie (and I:eek:) starts to get uncomfortable once it gets into the low 20s ....

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

awwww but you know what they say

'its a different kind of heat' ;)

Ermmm I'd say over 24 as an average would have me not going out in the day much
    30 has me dying on the floor, spraying water under fans!!

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Mine adore the sun and would walk in any temperature I think - they love it. I stick to evenings and earlier mornings for walks without shade and don't go when it is above 25c ish. Depends on shade, water, wind...all sorts really, I just make a judgement on the day.

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

We have to be careful with both Alfie and Muddy when it's over about 18C.

6. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

midday walks in summer are short affairs...(goes above 30C) ...even though podencos are used to this climate...

25 C is ok for Scrip though ..if some shady breaks are available...:) 25 is cool for my place!

this week temps willgo below 25C!!!!!!!
    HOORAYYYY!!!!!! after like three months!!!!

:001_tt1: RAIN is on the way!!!!!!:w00t:

7. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Generally anything above 20 degrees Celsius is too hot for my dogs, we much prefer temps below 15 degrees.

8. Roger Downes

Roger Downes PetForums VIP

Low 20s is warm enough for my dog and I...... in fact if the humidity is very high, that is too warm.

9. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Its been about 18deg here today , my dogs pant if they lay in the sun, but are ok out on a walk , but this summer was a rather warm one ,my Lurcher does not cope to well in the heat so he has a cool coat, its great he can run about it , it does not make him wet so there is no trapped water between it and him,

10. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

It does depend on humidity and wind as well. Because it could be 25 degrees but quite windy so with windchill it only feels about 18, they would be fine to go out in that and on the other hand it could be 18 but with very high humidity which makes it hard to breathe whilst running so they wouldn't go out in that.

I just make a decision on the day, if I am uncomfortable walking round the garden in it, they aren't going to walk in it.

11. Skinnywhippet

Skinnywhippet PetForums Member

I was surprised that my whippet didn't take to the hot summer at all - anything much over the low twenties outside and she really seemed to struggle, even with lots of chilled water and ice cubes. Definitely no interest in sunbathing (which i'm happy about, as their thin coat is a skin cancer risk).

Come a cold day on the other hand, she will happily burrow under a fleece blanket right in front of the wood burner - average temperature at skin level seems to me to be about 40 degrees!!

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think mine would be happy at 25C but its a moot point coz Im not happy to go out if its above 20C! In fact when I start finding the weather pleasant the dogs are starting to find it too cold...:rolleyes:

13. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Really depends on wind etc, but even then the boys would only get walked early morning and late afternoon. Then the walk goes something like this,
    get to field free dogs,
    Walk over field through small wood to stream
    Walk to larger wood and through field
    Double back to stream and home.

If there's no stream for the boys to cool down in then they don't go out. ;)

14. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Clover copes well with the heat.

However Daisy over-heats very quickly and is physically sick if it's over 18C.

15. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

About 25 + stops us- Dex gets REALLY hot, very easily. Otherwise I lug loads of water around to chuck over him, and for him to drink.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice