Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How have you done it?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

When Bella was a puppy and we suspected she had KC, just for 2 days instead of walking her I was driving her to a friend's house a few times a day to run around and see something different. Turns out it wasnt KC so we didn't have to think of a long term solution.]

WHen she was in heat we still walked, we just drove to dog free areas and only walked on lead.

Post spay, we did small on lead walks for the first few days, the longer on lead walks, before returning to our normal routine.

But I honestly don't know how Bella would cope if she wasn't allowed outside our house/garden at all. She gets out at least 4 times a day (total of at least 3.5 hours a day) and often much much more than that.

We play around slightly with our walk times e.g. morning between 7 and 10 for an hour.
    Toilet walk any time between noon and 3pm.
    AFternoon walk for about 2 hours between 7 and 9, but we often go to friends or for coffee before.

And our evening walk between 9.30 and midnight, just 15 minutes around the block.

However flexible Bella is with times, she cannot miss a walk. SHe knows she hasn't had it and even though she doesnt beg for it, when it's past the time she wont settle until she gets her walk.

For some reason Bella doesnt ever use our garden for toilet, so this necessitates 4 walks....which would be another issue if she was housebound...but I also think there would be many may many morr problems. Playing and training keep her busy and happy, but definitely dont subsitute a walk.

So, for those of you who have had to have your dogs housebound for a period of time, how did you cope? and how did your dogs cope?

2. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

My girl broke her toe and was under house arrest. She was allowed to the little park at the top of the road to go to the toilet as she wouldn't always go in the garden. She became very depressed adn instead of being a life wire was really mopey.

I tried to teach her tricks, we used to go to pets at home, for drives in the car etc. She is not a livewire anyway.

My other dog was paralysed adn couldn't go out for months but I think just being ill tired him so he was never a problem as his energey levels increased he was able to do more, but we used to spend time in the garden, doing physio, again driving, kongs, visits to friends etc.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

When Dixie was on heat I walked her up the industrial estate.
    When her best friend cought kennel cough and they had been arond eachother I had to keep her in, was only for 2 days as she had managed not to catch it thankfully.

But being the breeds she is, jrt, collie and lab, she is actually very manageable if not walked for some reason!
    She is happy to play fetch in the house and garden, ok she is more than happy she would do it all day! Lol She does jobs too like bringing things to OH, shutting the door etc.

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

When my Nelly had back problems he was on limited exercise - just across to the fields to toilet and back home. He coped fine though. Lots of car rides. Lots of quiet playing, lots of training. Only prob is he became overly food obsessed and combined with lack of exercise he did put on a bit of weight. But we managed that by decreasing food and giving him smaller meals mroe frequently and more bones to chew etc.
    Nelson was an unbelievably intelligent dog, but never energetic at all...so he wasn't climbing the walls. The car rides gave him the chance to "explore" in friend's gardens / and to go to his favourite walk locations etc....And we did lots of training to keep his clever brain happy:)

Not sure how he would have been if he had something contagious though and was not allowed out the house at all.

Now my Bella...she is the most energetic dog I've ever met. Not idea how she'd cope without proper exercise. Also, she is super social, so isolation from her doggie friends would be hard.

Her season was horrible, but she didn't feel very well so it was almost a blessing as she had less energy.

But the way she is now, if for whatever reason she had to eb housebound while feeling healthy - it would be hellllllllllllllll!

As for Bella

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice