Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How far.?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by springerpete, Sep 7, 2013.

1. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

I was walking Flyte back to my car this afternoon, Skye had been taken down to the stream by Rosie, as usual whilst Flyte had managed to remain fairly clean, the little mudlark had achieved his aim of getting plastered and was in need of a dip before being deemed clean enough for the drive home, As I waited for them to catch up I was approached by a chap who commented on Flyte, and how Retrievers love the water, Etc. A very nice chap, pleasant and courteous, he went on to tell me about his dog, he had a Cocker. 13 years old who, for some reason, had both of her eyes surgically removed a while back. I sympathised, as you do,. but could not find anything to say about this other than what a shame.
    We got back to the car and whilst Rose was battling to remove the seeds and other junk from Skyes' coat the chap in question got his old cocker from out of his car. I cant begin to tell you how sad it made both Rose and myself to see this poor old lady, hunched up, very likely athritic, looking confused and distressed.
    Now I'm sure that this guy loved his dog, I'm sure that she was as well looked after as any old lady could be, but it beggered the question as to how far you can take these situations. Just how far is far enough? Truly I couldn't see what life had left to offer this poor dog, certainly not a lot of joy or excitement to my way of thinking.
    I know in my heart of hearts that I couldn't see any of my dogs eking out their last days like this, I also know that I'll be thinking about that poor old girl as I lie in bed tonight. I hope she decides to take the walk across the bridge very soon.

2. Donut76

Donut76 PetForums VIP

awww

I agree in the saying "there is life in the old dog yet" BUT i think for me once an animal stops enjoying life is in too much pain distress & is confused etc then enough is enough :( i think it is a very hard decission to let go but in the end is it fair to keep an animal suffering :(

Hope this obviously much loved pet goes peacefully in her sleep when she is ready x

3. chissy 15

chissy 15 PetForums VIP

How sad! Hopefully the owner will make that awful hard decision in the near future. It is hard when you love them so much but you have to do it for them. I have only had to do this once for our last dog, heart breaking but was the right thing to do.

4. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

I had to clean the kennel out of and old dog who had both her eyes removed and it broke my heart, she was so nervous and I had to keep talking to her so she knew where I was.

I'm not sure i could put a dog through that myself :(

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

She may well be fine at home Pete. I know a few blind dogs who are fine in familiar surroundings, perfectly happy dogs. Take them somewhere new though and they're worried. Understandably really. Their owners tend to stick to the same well known walks for them but now and then have to take them somewhere less familiar such as the vets.

I do think some people tend to hang on too long though. I knew a dog who had cancer and he had every treatment going. The last few months of his life were not happy at all. He was miserable. He was sick. He was in pain. He had to adapt to losing a leg. If he'd been mine he'd have been put to sleep long before he was. If my dog were suffering, mentally or physically, and there was nothing I could do to stop it he'd be put to sleep.

6. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

I was a nurse and often said in an appropriate way ( I hope) that just because something can be done ( to prolong life) it doesn't necessarily mean it should be done.
    Poor old dog - when you live with them every day you sometimes miss the obvious.

7. peds

peds PetForums Member

Depends on the dog and the situation of course, but we had a border collie (the mother of our litter of seven, who I knew between age 5 and 21, I think...) who was diabetic for the last three years of her life, and went blind as a result for the last 18 months of that. For the first year of being blind, she was still sprinting after balls that you'd throw, following the sound alone, and keeping up with her son and daughter in the woods just fine. The last six months of her life she slowed down an awful lot, but still knew her way around the house and garden, and was as happy as ever. If she had been given the choice of being put down when she went blind, or carrying on for another year and a half, I know which one she'd choose.

8. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

That doesn't sound like a happy dog. She may well be happier at home but if she can't enjoy an outing...

My vet - who will go a very, very long way to keep an animal alive - once said that when Rock (previous dog) couldn't enjoy a 30 minute walk I should start to think about euthanasia. Her theory is that dogs NEED a walk so badly that keeping them alive when there's no pleasure in a walk is unkind.

I have to be honest I did keep Rock going after that point. He had terrible arthritis and only liked to bumble slowly down the road to the park and back (maybe 20 minutes altogether) at the end. He was 15ish when he took the one-way trip to the vet and I have often wondered how much of that was pure selfishness on my part.

I think if I had his time over again he would have been pts maybe 3 months earlier.

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

If I felt the dog was suffering or couldn't handle it I would euthanise. Buster has mild arthritis but can still run around and is mostly fine. If it got to the point he couldn't walk far I would have him put down because I don't think he could cope.

10. Tanji

Tanji PetForums Member

My aunt kept her Yorkie for way too long it could not walk more than a couple of steps i think coz of the arthritis it could barely manage to stand and was incontinent and nearly blind
    It also smelt awful, she kept it like this for some 18 months with fortnightly trips to the vets I think it was 16 when it i eventually died
    I think she was being more cruel than kind to the dog

#10 Tanji, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice