UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am a little confused and wanted some advice about dog walking. I have been told I should not walk my 4 month old BC further than 5 mins per month of age. That means a grand total of 20 minutes of walking a day. I do admit when i was told this, i was probably walking him too far as we were doing around 2.5 miles a day off the lead in parkland, but this seems a lesser extreme. So I am wondering how such a flat rule can apply to all breeds, collies surely were bred as working dogs. I am also wondering how I am meant to social him correctly on 20 minutes of walking a day? I cannot carry him around places as he is just too heavy now. We do go to puppy training classes but this is only once a week.

I understand this breed needs lots of mental stimulation but so far we have only learnt 4 commands at training lessons which he's very good at. Can any experienced BC breeders/handlers let me know if this limited amount of exercise is correct. we don't have a garden so there is no chance of just letting him out for a bit of monitored exercise. Also if anyone could suggest some good mental stimulation exercises I can do with him that would be greatly appreciated. I have been told he is too young for frisbee. He is very good natured and generally very obedient, and very intelligent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I always took it as 5 mins per month of age on each walk (lead walk)
Obviously if they're off lead and left to mooch around they will be getting a lot more than they would on lead, but they can stop when they want to unlike if they were walked on a lead.

I always did short walks with mine up until about 6 months of age, but a couple times per day.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.