Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How does your doggie ask to go out?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mum2Heidi, May 20, 2010.

1. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Watching Heidi made me wonder how all yours ask to go out and is it something you taught them.

Heidi either goes to the door on a mission, or comes to us, gets our visual attention and then runs the door in the same way or she "digs" on your leg to get your attention and when you're up, goes to the door.

It's not something we have taught her.

2. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Alfie stands at the door,digs at it a couple of times,makes eye contact and then sits,what he used to do was go to the door and bark but we have managed to replace it with a sit instead:D

3. Becki&Daisy

Becki&Daisy PetForums Senior

Daisy will just stand or sit at the door then give you the 'please mummy open the door' look

Or she'll sit/ stand there crying until you let her out haha
    Sometimes she comes and gets us too and goes to the door to show us :)

4. EmsBuddy

EmsBuddy PetForums Member

Buddy will either look at you and whine or sit at the back door and whine.

He learnt that the same day we brought him home :thumbup:

5. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

radley doesnt do anything, he just sits there like he expects the door to magically open on its own!... we have to constantly watch him or he pees on the floor.

i was thinking of getting him something like a bell he can ding lol as if we are in the front room we cant see him sitting at the patio door.

6. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

They dont really, probobly because they are out and about all day. The only one is Lucy, she will first thing in the morning. I think as she is getting older her bladder has shrunk! 05.30 usually theres a bark, if I dont get up straight away 2 barks if I DARE to ignore that then non stop noise!!

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Sits by the door, no barking.

8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

They dont.:(
    My back door is not visible from most places in the house and they dont make much noise if they scratch at it. Thats why they have a dog flap!:D

9. madferrit*

madferrit* PetForums Senior

Yep same here but mostly just sits there giving you the look:D

10. kelseye

kelseye Banned

bloody barks lol or crys :)

11. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Bailey grabs hold of my leg and starts whimpering... :lol:

12. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

My two boys are the best at this ;) Say we're sitting down watching tv, they will come and sit in front of either me or my OH and make a little whine, if we ignore it they make a little growly whine and if we still ignore it they put their paws up on us and nudge our hand with their nose. If I'm sitting here at my lappy, they will put their paws up on the arm of the chair, nudge my arm and make the little whiney noise, if I'm taking too long, Benji will mouth my hand very lightly as if to say 'come on, I need to go' lol :D

The girls and Tux go to the adult dogs, nuzzle and nudge them, then pull at their ears to get them up so they can come and ask me lol... I'm trying to get them to come to me first but it's still a work in progress ;)

I will say though, if when I open the back door it's raining, no matter how excited the boys are about going out, they will both slam the brakes on and sometimes they will go behind me and jump up on me. They don't really like the rain and it seems like they're saying 'sod it, you can go out there' lol ahhh I just love my little poochies :001_wub:

13. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Holly'll go out from the study, into the kitchen to the back door, bark and come back again. So we know when to let her out, or she'll sit looking out of the side door (its all glass, which looks out onto the lawn), and look back to us, then to the door!.

14. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

kenzie my 6 yr staffie will stand in the kitchen just looking at me.
    lady my 2 yr border x will circle the kitchen and whine, if that doesnt get my attention she will jump up at me and nudge my hand.
    bella my 7 month staffie doesnt do anything, or show any signs that she needs to go she will just stop whats shes doing and go there and then no matter what, :rolleyes: if the doors open she will go out.
    I haven't taught them. x

15. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Otto stares at me then walks to the door then comes back and stares at me etc.

Alfie doesn't bother and just goes out when Otto does. He lets Otto do all the work for him!

16. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Hector paces/circles by the exit of whatever room were in, if you ignore him he'll then come and lay sphinx-like with his head between his legs in a very sulky pose. Surprising he doesn't tend to whine to go out, given that he does for all his other demands, although if were in bed and he needs a poo he'll sometimes bark. Throp rarely asks to go out as he can hold it much longer than his bro so Hector does it for him, when he does he'll sometimes pace near the door and whine but he used to just stand there and stare at you.

17. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Alf goes and sits at the back door, as if we can see him through the settee and kitchen. :rolleyes: Arnie paws at the patio door. :D

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Nothing they go out via the dog flap!!! Couldn't live without a secure garden and a dog flap!!! :thumbup:

19. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Phoneix Wimpers while looking out the door (he could be laying or sitting) he doesnt move until you move to open the door.
    Charlie sits right in front of you (about 2inches to your nose) stares at you, then looks at the door, then stares at you, then looks at the door.
    George.... Lunges at the door with all four paws in the air! He is a few sandwiches short of a picnic!:thumbup:

20. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Bailey cries and whines running to and from the back door lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice