Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How does my dog know what time it is?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Philip230656, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Philip230656

Philip230656 PetForums Junior

Our 14 yr old shitzu sleeps at the foot of our bed, every morning without fail he wakes up between 7 and 7:15 am, then makes sure we are awake, and will not stop whining until we are up, it makes no difference what time we go to bed, how does he do this?

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Good question, somehow they are better at it than we are, breakfast, dinner and teatime and before bedtime snack. If we were late for any of those we use to get a good telling off from Dillon.:D

Lurcherlad, Calvine and Boxer123 like this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My dogs start giving me 'looks' within seconds of the clock passing the appointed hour for feeding.

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I used to think mine was a bit psychic; he seemed to know instinctively if I was thinking of taking him for a walk, even though I didn't have a set routine because of the different hours I worked. He would casually stand up, walk to where he knew his lead was and flop down on the floor again making a little muttering noise.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

They know days too. I used to go round pubs collecting fruit machine and juke box money and I had a two weekly rota. A great dane at one pub apparently would watch for me out of a window and never did it at any other time. My dog used to go with me in the van and she would be asleep and know exactly when we got near the first pub of the day.

Happy Paws2 and Calvine like this.
  6. Helenmc

Helenmc PetForums Junior

Darwin goes out for his last wee before bed at the same time every night. If we forget then a little head pops up from his basket or around the door 5 minutes later just to remind us not to keep him waiting any longer!

Calvine and Happy Paws2 like this.
  7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Dillon always know Saturdays were football day. OH always watches football in the bedroom but Saturdays were special, at 12.25 ready for the 12.30 match Dillon would be by the door waiting for the first match as he know he'd get extra treats on a Saturday.

Calvine and Blitz like this.
  8. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

My present two start as soon as the clock hits 6pm
    For a while we thought the music for BBC news at 6 was the cue, until we stopped watching it
    Unfortunately they no sooner get used to the clocks changing, than they change again (dreading the 28th)
    And
    If I feed them early, for whatever reason, they still whine, wanting more, when that clock hits 6

My dogfather Rocky (rip) used to tuck himself in his crate at 10pm every night, right on the button
    If the door to hallway was shut, then he'd go between us and the door whining, until we let him in there

Calvine likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice