Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How does it happen?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by lauren001, Jul 30, 2009.

1. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

In reference to a question on another thread, I thought I would start a new topic.
    How do breed clubs and breeders come to a point when their standards and breed "type" end up producing unhealthy malformed dogs with poor locomotion as in the GSD, though they are not the only breed.
    How does that come about?

Is it some sort of collective delusion?

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

breeding for exaggerated characteristics deemed fashionable by whoever decides things.

i am gonna cross a poodle with a hair trimmer and get a dog that grooms itself.

3. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

But who decides?

If a new fashion dictates that we tie an arm behind our backs then it quickly becomes unfashionable when people realise its not good to be going about with one arm.

Surely someone somewhere realised these dogs couldn't function properly before it got to this late stage.

Ha! :)

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

dunno, it beats me how it does get this far.

if you look at the american GR show dogs they are tending toward a low sloping topline which is absolutely a no no for a retrieving breed.

the yanks have a lot to answer for in the dog world to be honest. they seem to change standards and policy to suit theirselves.

who in the world would be advertising " english creme" retrievers and charging lots more for them then a yank lol.

5. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Judges :)

Judges put up a dog with something different that they like (say for example, the very pale golden retrievers) then before you know it 90% of them being born are like that.

The same applies to the health problems. Someone obviously liked the very sloping back of the GSDs presumably and the show people bred that to win in the ring :rolleyes: That would be my assumption anyway.

I try not to breed what is in "fashion" but what i like and what is healthy, but far too many people are breeding just what will win and thats where the problems come from.

6. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

I understand the pale coat, I even understand the short/longer leg or the longer nose or the big ears, the fluffy tail etc..
    But when it means the dog can't walk properly then......
    It is not as if you can pop them into your handbag, so they don't need to walk.

7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i know hun, mind boggling aint it, a gsd that cant walk let alone mind sheep.

look around on you tube and you will see them in the ring walking like cripples, i kid you not.

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I agree the judges do have a great deal to do with what is 'fashion' in pedigree dogs.

When we had our first whippet we were told because he was predominatly white we would do nothing at show we needed to have a fawn or brindle to do anything at shows. My answer was I would not have one just because it was fashionable to have a certain colour. I now have brindles, fawns and just for the judges that like them flashy several brindle and white partis and a fawn and white parti.

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

The breeders who breed such awful looking dogs like the crippled show line gsds and the judges who give them awards because then breeders go and breed dogs that look like that because they're the ones winning the awards.

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Good question :yesnod: and I don't have an answer :D

11. rona

rona Guest

Because they are only breeding to win, and nobody had the guts to stand up to the breed club and say that it was wrong :mad:

12. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Emperor's new clothes?

13. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

because those who stand up to it and distance themselves from it are classed down as "pet breeders" which isnt a compliment in the showing world ;)

14. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Cor and they say certain cross breeds are "designer dogs!" If pedigree dogs are bred to be cripples on one persons say so ........ I am speechless! Surely if more people decided that certain characteristics were bad for the dog then the people who set the standards should take notice of them? But I suppose it is like everything where a chosen few people have the "power". I have never had an interest in showing, even when we had pedigree GSDs. My mam bred a few litters but she chose to breed straight backed, healthy dogs as she didn't like the sloped backs. Then again we have never been in fashion, fortunately.

15. rona

rona Guest

The main concern here is that this has been going on for 40-50 years.
    I can remember having these same conversations back in the 70's about GSD's

16. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

sequeena likes this.
  17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Nice link, thanks!

It was horrifying to see how much they have changed over the years :(

18. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I found it a while ago royalair may breed oversized shepherds but they got that right anyway. It is horrifying to see just how much they've changed

19. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

That is shocking. I can't believe how much they have changed. I will admit that I am not keen on them(friend got bitten when we were 4 and they scare me), but that is just disgusting. Poor poor dogs.

20. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

They're one of my favourite breeds and I hate the show lines. A lot of people who really love the breed hate the show lines especially those that work their dogs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice