Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how do your grinders deal with fat and skin?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Shadow And Lightning, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

ive only had my grinder two days and been playing around with it, and ive noticed things that have skin or fat on just seem to clog up the blades and stop other stuff coming through
    does anyone else have this problem and is there a way around it?

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Hmm, I think it can be a bit of an issue but have never really had a problem where it stopped stuff coming through, and I grind 2-3 whole chickens at a time. I do always have to clear nasty build up from the blade area when I dismantle the machine and there is skin wrapped round the mechanism then.

3. Shadow And Lightning

yeah I also have that but its also lodged in the holes were the meat comes out and just slows everything, it was fine for beef but some pork thing we used today didn't go down to well it seems just a big pile of fat lol

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ahh yes pork fat. I certainly would not try and put the rind or skin through the grinder, it wont cope with that. Other moderately fatty cuts might be better if they are really well chilled, almost frozen, so the fat 'cuts' better, also alternating fatty pieces with boney pieces to force the fat through.

5. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Skin and fat go right through mine with no problem. There is usually a buildup behind the blade when I disassemble the grinder to clean it. That I toss in the bin.

Have only used pork shoulder once and there was a LOT of fat left behind.

6. Shadow And Lightning

I think that's what this was, seemed like there was more fat than anything lol
    I don't plan on using pork a lot, cause ill be getting the meat our stuff which we get from the halal butchers
    only got the pork cause it was on offer in Tesco, I don't even know if it looked nice or not having never ate piggy stuff myself
    but it was very fatty
    it left everything feeling greasy afterwards
    but the cats liked it but they like anything new lol

7. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

I put chicken wings and offal through mine (apart from the heart as last time it was pre-diced, Morrisons as the butcher didn't have any).

Haven't tried any really fatty pieces as they have always been diced (by me or the butcher), but I too get a build up of gunk behind the blade afterwards.

What grinder do you have?
    Just make sure you have the blade the right way round as I had mine wrong for ages so it didn't do a great job at cutting!

8. Shadow And Lightning

ive got an Andrew james one, I think I set it up right, but I am a bit dosy lol

9. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

Hi I have the Andrew James one and have not experienced a huge fat clogging issue. When cleaning the whole section then you do find some sinew wound around the screw section of the grinder. I normally try to have meats at a point of almost defrosted, the grinder seems to work happily at this temperature and you can get the portions back in the freezer without the temperature of the meat rising too much.

The cutting blade needs to be fitted with the flat cut to the holed disc. If doing whole rabbit for example I use the disc with triangle holes then go down to the extremely fine holed disc on a second run as it has included bone. Then I add chunked rabbit pieces from Woldsway. With a normal meat, no bone grind, I use the large round holed disc.

10. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

I do all mine on the 'triangle' blade as mine prefer that and wont eat mince, this blade leaves it as small chunks.

That has coped really well with the pork shoulder joints I got from Morrisons last week - and some of them had a big layer of fat (would have made great crackling!)

11. Shadow And Lightning

ive managed to break it already wooops, but all is fine they are sending me the replacement bit, i broke the blade, i don't even think it was my fault :rolleyes:

12. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

If they are sending a replacement it wasn't your fault. :) What exactly happened? You shouldn't be grinding anything more than chicken bones. For turkey bones I whack them up first.

Does your grinder have a reverse function? I use that feature to back out larger bones like turkey legs so they don't mess up the blade.

13. Shadow And Lightning

yeah it does have a reverse button, and as i was pressing the reverse button i noticed some of the blade from the grindy thing in with what i reversed, not a clue how it happened either. They have sent it out but i don't know when it will arrive.. luckily i have nutriment still left, it was only chicken bones though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice