Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you worm your cats??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Spaniel mad, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

we have always used panacur paste but it was getting a bit messy as they knew what was coming lol

so we thought we would try Drontel tablets. None of them wanted to take them even when they were wrapped in meat so with 5 we managed to shove down their throat and massage so they swallowed then gave some ham

But Puffin still wouldnt take it that way. I even tried crushing it up and putting into Tuna but he still wouldnt take it

Any suggestions??

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I tried to get the Drontal tablets down them but couldn't. I used the Panacur liquid which worked but the kittens did look a little bizarre frothing at the mouth. Poor kitties.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My mum crushed the tablet up with butter and spreaded it on the cats paws :)

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh now that's clever. :idea:

I will do this the next time.

5. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I use the drops on the back of the neck, my cat would be a nightmare to worm otherwise!

When it comes time to having kittens I will have to find some handy tips and tricks as they will be too young for the drops :(

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Which drops do you use ? I have tried the Drontal ones but Vet said they only treat certain worms? He has one which treats them all which you can use on their neck but it's only available at the Vets. £5.50 per head I think.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

They love it :D my mum also puts a bit on their nose too because sometimes they shake their paws and the butter falls off lol

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I use Milbemax tablets and wrap the cat in the towel, open the mouth and in it goes lol!!

My 4 can be nightmares but the towel is fail proof for my lot!

9. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

To be honest I don't know what the drops are called.
    I get them done at the vets and it's a weoming and flea treatment in one.

It normally cost 10.95 for one cat every 3 months and they are worm and flea free !

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I used Panacur granules for both my dog & cat last time and had no trouble at all. Mixed them into a nice bit of tasty food and it vanished in seconds. I prefer Panacur as it does treat lungworm as well, and the garden and back porch are Slug 'n' Snail Central this year.

I'll be using it for Cuba's kittens later on when they finally make an appearance... Yes, I'm playing the waiting game too!

11. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

I think it's Advocate - I'm going to use it on mine. It's prescription only, but if you get a 'script off your vet, you can buy it much cheaper online. Kills fleas & worms & you can get it for cats & dogs. :)

12. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I just open their mouth & put it in, I got them used to it from kittens.

Im used to doing medication so it doesnt bother me and they get treats before & after and are fine 2 seconds later.

With my older cats who I didnt bring up & therefore they refuse to let me do it I put panacur worming sprinkles mixed in with the meat as they eat it, they always know if a tablets in their & spit it out lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice