Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how do you toilet train a puppy by using a crate

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emilylp, Aug 7, 2009.

1. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

Is it just for the night in the crate and be vigilent in the day? because ive looked at sites that say for 7-10 days feed the puppy, take the puppy outside , after he/her goes play with her for 5 mins then place back in the crate?

then it says at about 5.00pm let the puppy out for 2-3 hours then place back in the crate, after 10 days increase the time out of the crate and continue to do so until he/she is fully house broken which it says usually takes 10days-1month,

id feel mean crating him/her during the day while im in though,?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont know where you read that, but its a load of rubbish.

If you go into the training section, there are LOADS of threads about crate training.

3. rona

rona Guest

I'm with you on this one, I think your pup should choose to use the crate during the day not be forced into it. Obviously they need to know that sometimes the crate will be used during the day for when you go shopping etc.
    Toilet training is a separate issue to crate training as far as I'm concerned :)

4. DebsPink

DebsPink PetForums Member

I read this too - it's very confusing to new puppy owners.

5. rona

rona Guest

Could one of you pm me to let me know where this rubbish is written.
    Thank you

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

In what planet do people put dogs in a crate when they are in the house?

The only time i've ever had to put Mika in his puppy pen when he was small was when it came to doing housework and didnt' want him in the way - he was too young to understand what 'out' meant so had to put him in there. But yeah never have i put a pup in his pen when we are around the house! Like who does that?

7. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

Thats what i thought, i read it and was thinking :S no way am i keeping a puppy away from us in a crate when im in and can play with it , i think it was an american site. not sure though , it had like a schedual on and the puppy was in the crate all the time , the puppy isnt getting socialized at all or anything that way!:confused:

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If I didn't put my pair in their crates at various points throughout the day, they would not be used to it, and wouldn't settle when we went out.

That was how I cured Dixie of her SA

Mika must be really good :)

I think if you are going to be using a crate for your dog while you are out of at night then it is better to get them used to it while you are in, otherwise they might start to associate the crate with you not being around and get stressed.

x

9. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Oh he has his moments believe me! LOL! But love him and wouldnt do without him now.

10. sammyben

sammyben Guest

We have to put Sammy in his crate when we are having our tea as he tries to eat the kids. He also goes in sometimes if we are having a carry-on with the kids cos he tries to get involved and ends up scratchin them!

Apart from that though, he only ever goes in his cage when we are out or at night! x

11. davehyde

davehyde Banned

when used correctly a crate is great. emphasise correctly.

there is nothing wrong with crating during during the day, a puppy tires easily and the crate is not a prison for him.

he needs to feel the crate is "HIS OWN SPACE" a place of sanctuary and peace. where he will be left alone to sleep and rest.

20 minute play sessions are ample for a small pup, coupled with very basic training, sit, come is enough when that small.

a little pup should be sleeping almost as much as being awake, he needs that sleep and rest.

i dont advocate crating them all day at all. but for rests and sleep and time outs they are fantastic.

during time outs give them a puppy kong or similar to keep them occupied.

they soon get to know that is their place and that nobody will disturb them there. pretty soon they choose to go there and are relaxed and at ease with it.

12. Sari

Sari PetForums Member

My husband works for the Fire Service and he came home with that advice which he had got from their dog trainer. I smiled sweetly at him and carried on doing things my way. I only put Dexter in the crate for very short periods when I couldn't watch him, at night and when I went out. The rest of the time I watched him like a hawk and took him outside regularly. He was trained very quickly and I didn't feel like a dog abuser whilst I did it! ;)

13. DebsPink

This is where I saw it.

Crate Training Schedule

If you have the type of house/garden/lifestyle where a puppy can roam freely all day then you are very lucky. I spend a lot of time watching/playing with/training my puppy, but there are times when I just can't. I don't put her in her crate for long periods, but as has been said, they need to get used to it, first when you are in the house then secondly, when you are out. At 10 weeks Ginny already sleeps all night in her crate and happily puts herself to bed(!!) at about 10.30 if she's still up. Then during the day I've been gradually extending the period where she is comfy to be in it, whether sleepy or not. We're up to 30 mins today. I leave the door open when she's not in it, and she goes in herself for a nap sometimes. I also have a play pen which I keep in the living room and one in the garden where she can play/eat/nap safely when I can't watch her 100%. I haven't been out of the house and left her in the crate at all yet, either she comes with me, or my teenagers look after her. I will start her getting used to that next week.

Debs x

14. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Totally agree they are two different issues!

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats horrible. The poor puppy is locked away except for a few hours a day.

Id hate to think what sort of pyscological affect that would have on a young dog.

16. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I think this is the problem with the internet, anyone can write anything on it whether they are correct or not. Anyone who does research online should be very careful about what advice they take. Much better to arrange puppy classes and seek a good trainer before getting a puppy.

17. DebsPink

I agree with that, you need to research all you can, and then make the beset decision you can based on your situation, your feelings and the puppy of course. Mine is VERY independent and obstinate and needs a lot of management to keep her happy and out of trouble.

Regarding the training, that's OK for obedience training, but trainers don't help with toilet training. And you can't take them for training until they're allowed out anyway meaning you've 4-6 weeks of having a puppy at home with no guidance other than what you can glean from books, the internet and forums like this.

Roll on 1 September which is when Ginny is booked to start puppy classes and also 24 August, when I can actually take her outside for a walk!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice