Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you raise puppies??

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Spaniel mad, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

We have been lucky enough to have 3 litters of pups. The pups are born and raised in the living room. They have all the attention and time and money spent on them that they need. They are raised as part of the family. We have been lucky to find brill homes for them all where they continue to be spoilt every day.

I know everyone does it different but i was shocked this week when we collected our 2 cocker pups. We was told by the breeder they will be born and raised in the kitchen. We see them being born and were happy they were going to be raised right. Received loads of pics as they were growing aswell.

When we went to collect them we was taken out into the back garden to be meeted by several man made rabbit run like cages one with puppies in and the other with the breeding bitches as they called them in.

i was shocked at the conditions the pups and older dogs were kept in and quite angry and upset that we had been lied to.

Anyway we was having a chat to the breeders who openly said they start breeding their females when they are a year old, let them have 5 litters and from the last litter they keep a female and they rehome the breeding females as they have finished with them.

I was utterly shocked that they were open about all this. The dogs to them are just money makers.

Needless to say we grab our pups and left. I was soo glad to get them away from all that and i feel guilty for the poor girls that have to live there.

2. Dundee

Dundee Banned

It is disgusting, but there are plenty like this. Unfortunately, by buying from this kind of breeder you are (unintentionally, I'm sure) keeping the business going - people like this wouldn't breed if they couldn't sell them.

It is so important to do your homework when buying a puppy. TBH alarm bells would have started ringing with me when they agreed to sell you two puppies at the same time - something no responsible breeder would do.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I'd have walked away. I wouldnt line the pockets of puppy farmers or money breeders.

Were the parents health tested? I'd be worried about the quality of the dogs you have purchased, and of any future potential health issues.

4. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Sorry but can i ask why wouldn't you want 2 from the same litter? i've heard a lot of people say that, and just wondered why?:)

5. Spaniel mad

Yeah they parents were health tested and i see the certificates for this. Once seeing mu pups and the conditions i wanted to get them away from that situation and know that they will have the very best here.

If id had known before the type of conditions they were in i would have NEVER left a deposit on the pups and i would have gone elsewhere

6. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

We raise our pups in our diningroom/kitchen, they are in there when first born so as out of the way of our daughters but so i can sit/sleep in the dining room with them when they are young, we only have one dog so there is no worry of keeeping anyother dogs away although i have stair gates put up so that our youngest daughter cant get in to the pups unsupervised, they are all bought into our main front room every day to be handled and get used to all usual house noises, also now they are walking and starting to play they are in our front room along with mum for most of the day apart from when they need to sleep,and get to mix with our daughters and us(all get their own hour at night when its just me and them for cuddles..lol)
    so our pups are totally bought up within our house and life and so i know when they go to their new familys they will be fully aware of their surroundings and be used to family life.
    always wonder though if a pup is reared in an outside kennel would it give it any problems with things like house training/mixing with children etc?

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Aw thats awful! People just have these bitches to breed from :(..We have a number of bitches here and we wouldnt dream of mating them all Just because we can!
    They take 5 litters from there bitches thats rather alot although alot of people do it!
    I think 2 is enough.. I bet they dont keep the bitches after "There time is up!" (They have had all th litters they want)
    I could never get rid of one of my dogs just because they were no use for breeding any more :(
    We might have the odd litter but our dogs are our pets and our babies they live in the house and are very much part of the family! I wouldnt be with out them!
    When we do have a litter we have in mind that we would be keeping a pup and if it was good enough example of the breed it would be shown!
    All pups are raised in the living room.And from the bitch being 4week pregnant my mum sleeps in the living room with her.There born in the living room in the welping box and at about 3weeks they get moved into a puppy pen for the rest of the time with us..But they love nothing more than to run around the house causing trouble :eek:!!
    They are brought up around normal house hold noises and allowed to mix with the other dogs at the right time But never left alone of course!
    We do everything in our power to ensure any pups are brought up with the best tempermants and are fully aware of the day to day life of a normal family house hold!!

Im sorry that you was lied to about your pups up bringing it makes me sick :mad:
    Im sorry but i would have never walked away with a pup as much as it would break my heart to leave them there i just wouldnt be able to line the pockets of such greedy, evil people..
    I also wouldnt have wanted two from the same litter..imo they are harder to train and ive known them to be late developers of house training i also find that they rely on each other and awful lot!.As they have been togther from day one!!
    We would never let two puppies go togther, its going to be hard enough caring for one puppy let alone two!
    imo i would have been abit worried when the breeder agreed to letting you take two because in my eyes no responsible breeder would let you take two!!!
    Did they give you discount for taking two? Because iv heard that an awful lot too :mad:

#7 DevilDogz, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  8. Spaniel mad

We have actually been quite lucky with these 2. we have had them 3 days now and so far only a few accidents. They whine or scratch at the door to go out. They are not always together either, as we have 4 other dogs they play with the others and sleep with them too. Now and then they have a play and a sleep together but they are very independant which is great. No we did not get any discount. I dont think they cared much who the pups went to or where they went as their other cocker had 8 pups and 3 went to the same family. To them its just money.

Yes they breeders did say once they had the 5 litters from them they will get rid and keep a pup to carry on breeding.

9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Its all just money isnt it! Well i wish you the best of luck with the two puppies!!

I feared that they did rehome the bitches after breeding all they could! and its wonderful rescues like "Many Tears" That are forever picking up the pieces of such cruel and evil people!!
    I dont spose for one minute they cared where the puppies went as long as they got there money to spend on what ever it is that makes evil people happy!!

Do you know the exact amount of breeding bitches that was on sight and how many people are allowed according to your local council and enviromental health?

10. Dundee

Dundee Banned

:eek:

I'm glad things are going well, but 3 days is not really enough for problems to surface.

You will need to keep them separately for a good deal of the time otherwise they will bond with each other much more than you. This can cause problems later. You will need to take them out individually for training session as well as having sessions together. Really, raising two puppies is the equivalent of raising three!

It is something I would never recommend, however, you have them now. It will be hard work raising them up to be happy individual puppies, but I wish you good luck.

This article gives some good advice on raising littermates.

Rearing Siblings

1 person likes this.
  11. Spaniel mad

There was 4 breeding bitches that we see and 1 is due to have pups next week they said, makes you wonder if they breed on every season aswell.

I could never use and abuse a dog like they do. My dogs are first and foremost my pets and they come first.

Im lucky to have my Mum, brother and sister here so we will all be training the pups like we did the others and they will get their individual training and attention

12. clueless

clueless Banned

I would have left without grabbing the pups

noushka05 likes this.
  13. My-Terriers

My-Terriers PetForums Member

Intentional or unintentional inter-breeding!

14. Badger's Mum

Oh right i didn't think of that:eek:ut:. thank you:D

15. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Not just that, litter mates tend to bond to each other rather than to their new owners and so can become alot harder to train than a single pup.

take care

Sarah

16. Badger's Mum

I got my springer and lab a month apart that was quite hard:rolleyes: but fun as well:)

17. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I think it is disgusting, they are breeding these poor dogs for money only then bugger the mother she goes once they finished with her, how bad is that, she is going to be harder to look after as she havent had the close bond with humans etc, no indoor life at all. AWFULL AWFULL. I would of taken the puppy (because I am so soft and stupid when it comes to puppies being left in them conditions) I know it is lining their pockets with money, but my concern would be that I got a pup and could give it all it needs. Yes this is wrong as the breeder can breed again quickly once all them pup's are sold. and the cycle goes on again. I would of rung the rspca or the trading standards to check them people over to see if they are registered with their council. I have reported a man doing this before and advertising all chihuahua cross type dogs, nearly ever month he had an advert I kept vigual watch over this and rung the phone numbers each time and each time I heard his voice on the other end, I thought this is the end now I got to do something, and I did. and he was done for it. I was soooo pleased. Dont know what happened to his breeding bitches though, I feel sorry for them constant breeding from. OOOOO its makes my blood boil.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice