Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you move a cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by nikkidee3, Jun 16, 2010.

1. nikkidee3

nikkidee3 PetForums Junior

Hey Guys

In a few months time, I will be moving to a new house. My beautiful little kitty, mr maloo, will be coming with me but I have never moved house with a cat so I'm not sure what I should do to ensure a smooth move?

A bit of background - we currently live with my housemate and her dog (a border collie). The housemate and dog will not be moving with us so it will just be me, my partner and the kitty. We are moving to the other side of town, probably an hour from where we are now.

Mr Maloo is an outside cat - he usually is outside for most of the day while Im at work then comes inside at night. My biggest concern is that if we let him out he will try to go back to the old house to find the dog.

We would like to get another dog or cat to keep him company but it probably wont happen straight away.

Has anyone got any good advice for me? Whats the best way to move a cat and ensure that he is happy in his new home?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

when we moved home fluffy a cat i had kept returning to old house eventhough we kept him in for two weaks and walked him round the new place on a harness i spent weaks getting him from our old house every time he returned he stoped it in the end i dont think there any thing you can really do

3. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

get a room set up with *his* things asap.... tray/bedding/toys/scratcher... anything with his scent on.
    If you can rub the doorways with a blanket or something he has slept on to get his scent around the place
    Feliway is a huge benefit for stressful situations
    and last but not least keep him confined indoors for 2-4 weeks so the house becomes 'home' for him. You can take him outside on a harness during this period so he can become familiar with the area though.

4. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

First time you let him out, make sure he is hungry and have some of his favourite treats handy :D

5. cheyenne

cheyenne PetForums Newbie

well... we moved from the west midlands to kent two weeks ago with three cats :scared: but after just 10 days they seemed very settled in their new home! her are a few things we did

1. Because my babies dont like going in their cat carriers we put them out in the kitchen a few weeks before the move. it worked as they didn't make so much fuss when we put them in on the morning of the move.

2 we kept all three cats in, the night before the move with litter tray,toys and blankets so that they were not missing when we left for the new house.

3 when we arrived at the new house we put the cats upstairs in the bathroom with littertrays blankets food and water and toys. and we shut them in to keep them safe while the removal men got all our stuff in!
    they were in there for about three hours but they were fine! when removal men left we let them out to explore! we made sure we left them alone to do this!

4 i feliway sprayed the new house and forgot to say that i feliway sprayed the inside of car and cat carriers the day of the move. (feliway spray is a spray that is suppose to calm cats! it worked for jez and angel but not for harry lol).

5 apparently you can also get a cloth, rub their mouths with it and rub it along the furnitures and doors etc so that the cats can smell their familiar scent but we didn't do this!

6 the plan was to let our three out after two weeks but they escaped after 11 days lol! they were fine though and were very nervous about being in a new garden so they didn't go far! they are actually still nervous after 14 days and angel is still going to the loo in the litter tray rather than outside!

i would actually say that its best to keep them in for min of 2 weeks and if you are not moving far from your old home the advice is to keep them in for longer because they will just go back to the old house, so i would say 4 weeks not two!

i was so worried about moving our three and they were in the car for 3.5 hours but they were fine and are settled inside the house now!

6. gemini

gemini PetForums Member

I moved house last year with 5 cats. The most horrendous part was the packing, and having stuff piled up in boxes, which kept getting knocked over! I started to give them all Zylkene about 5 days before the move, and for another 5 days after.

We transported them in cat carriers - we only moved about half a mile! When we got to the new house we locked them in a bedroom where a Feliway was plugged in, closed the door and put a sign on telling the removal men not to go in! We also put another couple of Feliway plug ins around the house. When all the men had gone we let the roam around the house, and although they were a bit way they were fine.

My main concern because we didn't move very far was them going back to the old house, so we kept them in for 5 weeks. That was murder!!! I seemed to be emptying cat litter trays hourly!! But when they were finally let out they were all fine - a bit wary of their new surroundings at first, but as far as I know they never went back to the old house.

7. nikkidee3

nikkidee3 PetForums Junior

Wow thanks for the hints guys! I am glad i dont have mutiple cats to move, although in some ways i think that might be easier as they will all be together!

I havent heard of feliway so Ill have to have a look and see if its available in australia.

Maloo has a harness so Ill definitely take him out on that first. He doesnt mind the cat cage so much - if its on the floor he will curl up and fall asleep inside of it :)

Good suggestions with making sure he is hungry and has some toys closeby when he goes outside. I didnt even think of that!!!

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the advice!

8. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Yeah the advice you have been given is great :D I hope ya have a smooth move mate :) and I am just glad to see an another Aussie here :D :D As for feliway I have never heard of it here but it can be bought on ozpetshop ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice