Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you know?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by SpringerHusky, Jul 2, 2009.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I was just thinking of something and thought best to ask here.

I want to show Malamutes and sibes when i'm older now I'll likely start with a sibe but my question is, say I manage to find the right breeder etc, what do I look for to know it's standard for show at only 6-8 weeks. Also say I found a few breeders, what way would I know is best?

I know asking questions to the breeders help but how would you know yourself :)

Thanks

2. clueless

clueless Banned

That imo is difficult when you are just starting out on a first Show potential. Getting a Mentor helps loads. Going to Shows and watching the Sibes helps you to see what sort of type you like as different lines sometimes look different lol.

Study the Breed Standard and then look at a pup, I do not know the breed standard but here is a few examples.

eg.. If standard states long arched neck, do not pick a pup with what looks like head is on shoulders

look at pup on floor standing and make sure it has a level topline

look at tail set
    look at shoulder angulation
    look at placement of feet
    hock length
    rear angulation
    length of leg eg same length
    a lot of showing is to do with movement and the above can affect that

Also a puppy has to be outgoing and happy. The most bosterious one may not make a showdog as too hyperactive LOL
    There is quite a lot to look for Springer imo and this above is a few for you to ponder

3. SpringerHusky

Thanks, this is why I want to learn more about it rather than going out and just getting the dog and then asking the questions. :D

4. baillieswells

baillieswells PetForums Junior

At six to eight weeks you cannot tell whether a puppy is of show quality. If at that age it has any obvious faults, such as an undershot jaw, then it can be excluded. But beyond that it is very difficult. Many is the time when I have had a litter of puppies and have decided to keep one, right up until the puppies are going to their new homes, I have sat and watched them trying to decide which one to keep. And I know in some cases I let the one which proved the best, go.

All I can suggest is that you rely on the integrity of the breeder, and if you can take some experienced person along with you, then that is to the good.Study the breed in the ring, and get to know the history and pedigree of the ones you like. As a breeder, I would never sell a puppy at eight weeks as a show dog. All I would be prepared to say is that it had no obvious faults and to the best of my knowledge was healthy.

Happy hunting.

5. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

in Sibes you also have to consider the "type" you prefer if you go to a show you will probably see different looking sibes, some are heavier boned with dense coats some lighter boned with less dense coats then theyres everything in between, & you have to bare in mind that different judges prefer a certain type. So i think going to shows is a great place to start:)

6. SpringerHusky

I noticed that, is this just different strains? I've always been around sibes from a young age though within the last 5-6 years I haven't seen any, which is now the stage i'm learning more.

Luka's Photobook: A Siberian Husky on Dogster
    I'm quite fond to this look

I'm pleased there's some helpful people here :D

7. noushka05

in the UK some are bred with a lighter build & less coat as they compete in short distance rally's, they fair better in our warmer climate as theyre less likely to overheat, its more about speed than endurance so theyre bred to be faster, tho thats not to say they wouldnt do well over distance aswell, just as some of the heavier coated do really well over short distances.
    so in this county we have more variation of types than i most other countries, in the USA most show dogs will resemble my Merlin who is out of American imports, heres a pic of him.....
    [​IMG]

8. SpringerHusky

AH, that's quite interesting to learn, thanks and he's gorgeous :001_wub:

9. noushka05

youre welcome Daisy & thanx about Merlin:) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice