Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you know when its time?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Katz, May 9, 2010.

1. Katz

Katz PetForums Newbie

HI, would really like some advise about my cat and what to do.

She's 16 years old and has been getting more senile recently:confused:. She has problems with her intestines so she doesn't absorb food properly which means she's always hungry. Last summer she had a course of injections every week for 12 weeks (very expensive) Recently she had her boosters and since then she has become worse. She attacks the children (aged 5 & 3) to get the food off their plates, anything (and I mean any food, frozen or otherwise) left on the counter will be eaten, subsequently this makes her sick! She now uses our down stairs bathroom as her own toilet, I have been unable to get rid of the smell of cat urine (ammonia) and so she continues to use it. I'm afraid if I keep the door shut she'll start toileting somewhere else in the house. Although her coat looks well, she's skin and bones underneath. She also has poor eyesight so doesn't venture far. The vet has given me steroids to start her on this week, but will make her even more hungry. She is still on her 'special intenstinal' diet but the vet has said to give her boiled chicken and white fish also. I have been doing this, but she continues to be sick! I think she'd be really unhappy except for the fact that she's so senile now she can't remember anything after two minutes! What to do? :(

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Has she had any blood tests done :confused: thyroids maybe x

3. Katz

Katz PetForums Newbie

Yeah, she's had many blood tests, her thiroid is fine....

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Im sorry she dosent sound happy at all & if there is nothing more the vet can do some things just cant be fixed :( you will have to make the decision for her, extremly hard I know, our old lady Misty went pretty much the same way always hungry coat awful even though I groomed her & very senile she was 18 & realy had, had enough, so we let her go before things got even worse, as they very rarely go comfortably in their sleep :( Big hugs xxx

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Gosh, I am sorry to hear that your cat isn't doing well :(

Your main worry at the moment though is that she isn't eating enough - or she is eating but sicking it back up, meaning that she doesn't absorb the food properly and remains hungry etc. Right?

Out of interest, have you tried slippery elm bark to try calm her stomach? If you google it you will see that it is frequently used successfully in cats who vomit, have problems with their intestines etc (constipation as well as diarrheoa). With some luck this will help her become more satiated as the food stays in (hopefully).

If you decide to try it, just remember that you will need to leave about 1 hour between feeding her the slippery elm bark and any meds.

How often are you feeding her? As cats get older their digestive system becomes less efficient. Smaller portions spread out over more meals may help.

Re her using the downstairs loo. I presume you have now put a litter tray in that loo. Can you wash the floor etc with bio washing powder and a little water? Have you tried that?

#5 hobbs2004, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  6. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

awww im sorry your cat isnt well i know how hard it is when cats get older and ill and i hope she inproves but if there nothing a vet can do and you cat in pain then it a hard thing i know my fluffy was 13 when he got tummars and i had to have him put down i was heart broken but dont reget it as he was in pain and eating cat litter i hope your cat can be helped but if he 16 hes lived a really good life i bet

7. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

My oldest cat lived up to 17 years. She was not ill, but became rather thin. She was forever lying on a cupboard in the kitchen and had bedsores. It looked like she could not remember there was also upstairs.
    One day I came down, she looked at me with big eyes and I could really see she had had enough. Vet came that night and she said her kidneys were failing so she was PTS.
    I understand you want to keep your darling much longer with you, but she will make it clear to you one day that this life is over for her.
    Hugs!!

8. Katz

Katz PetForums Newbie

Many thanks for your replies. I'll wait till she lets me know when enough is enough! Thank you again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice