Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

How do you keep your dog entertained?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Darren, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Darren

Darren PetForums Member

Hi all.

I'm looking for a bit of inspiration, so thinking caps on! :)

I've noticed when we leave Monty alone he just lies by the door waiting for us to return, his barking has improved a lot but he doesn't bother with his toys, he just lies by the door and chills out.

Ideally, i'd like him to have something to stimulate his mind when he's on his own so he doesn't become bored or restless. He gets through his puppy kong in about 5 minutes so that doesn't really keep him entertained.

What do your dogs have to keep them entertained when your away? As always, all suggestions welcome! :)

Darren & Monty

asdfgnm,. < That is actually Montys input (walking across the laptop lol)

#1 Darren, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Diggin' boxes.

I get an medium/large size empty cardboard box and stuff it with screwed up newspaper. Inside I put bits of hot dog, cheese and smear peanut butter in places.

Yeah it can make a mess, so best not to put it on a beige carpet, but it works.

I also use those treat balls that dispense treats when it's moved.

sleeptalker likes this.
  3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I use treat balls etc and wrap dry dog food tightly in newspaper stuff it into boxes such as cereal packets or frozen lasagne box pack it out with more paper so pup has to tear box and paper to get to food. You do come home to a room full of shredded paper but a whiz around with a broom and it's all tidy:D

sleeptalker likes this.
  4. mrsdusty

mrsdusty Guest

Both my dogs when they are left just like to sleep. (but then they are only left on own max 3 hours before someone goes in to them).

At home my 10 year old just sleeps, eats, sleeps, eats. Goes for her walks, and she is happy.

Pup likes to play, chew toys, loves her Kongs and likes to play with the kids.

But I also like to teach them to 'chill' when I want to chill. Nothing more annoying when you want to put your feet up for 5 mins and u have a pup hanging on the end of your plates.

5. Darren

Darren PetForums Member

I really like the idea of wrapping the dry food in newspaper but Monty will just end up eating the newspaper!

He gets hold of it and if we dont get it off him he will scoff it down.

6. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Shouldn't do him any harm really as the ink they use is soya based, and not lead based like it used to be.

7. louise5031

louise5031 Guest

A good toy that you can get from most pet shops is a play-ball. It has a size-changable hole in the top that you put food in, we usually put dry food, cubes of cheese or some of the Jameswellbeloved bites you can get in.

The idea is simple, they roll the ball around and get the food to come out. Lasts longer than a kong and tires them out more as they go mad running around playing football with it!

Will let you know if I have any more ideas :)

8. sleeptalker

sleeptalker PetForums Senior

wot fab ideas the cardboard boxes filled with stuff are, must try that:D

9. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

Our dog loves watching TV, my previous dogs used to listen to the radio.

Sue

10. Darren

Darren PetForums Member

Hi Louise,

I've actually already got one of these balls, in the past i've put a few treats in there but Monty's never really got the idea lol.. I may put half of his next feed in there and see if he can work it out..... Our gardens being re-landscapd today so Monty will have a place to go soon!! :D

11. gemnjoe04

gemnjoe04 PetForums Member

LOL my spaniels have a thing for cardboard boxes rip them up and eat them :p

12. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

You know those hollow bones you can buy at pet shops, filled with a sort of pastey stuff, various flavours? When my dogs have finished them, I refill them with wet food and freeze them. Takes them ages to lick all the food out, and if you're worried about weight-gain, just include them in the day's food ration. These are especially nice for them on hot days - like an ice lolly :D

Also, my girls will spend AGES licking peanut butter out of a hollow bone - just a couple of smears inside one will keep them going for ages :)

13. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I only posted a thread the other day on this
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/17307-entertainment.html

gives link to some dog actities? My spaniel is 10 and has been looking bored or frustrated, hes very inteligent as hes an ex prison dog though hiding food is over in minutes and hes just recoviering from a fall so exercise is stinted at the min. Might get him a jingly toy though

James

14. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Oscar just sleeps when I'm gone. He's crated and has a kong in there, also a nylabone. Sometimes he plays in his bed with his bedding - he likes to make his own bed, clever boy!! :p

15. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Thats what Beamish usually does - sleep, but hes been looking at us - following us aimlessly about and when hes not been darting up and down stairs to see what people are doing - he mut literally just sniff about as hes back down in 5 mins:rolleyes:
    still wondering what i can do for him - never used the newspaper or card boxes - doubt he'd do much though as hes a very obedient dog - lol hed find it jump out and have a good nosh probably

#15 james1, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  16. LittleMissSunshine

LittleMissSunshine PetForums VIP

I'm loving the cardboard box idea too!!! Def going to try it, I'm tinking about setting up my video camera with a selection of different toys lying about and leave mine alone for a couple of hours and sit back and watch, never know, it may end up on you tube!!!
    I usually just leave rawhide shoes and carrots and come back and they've either been hidden un the settee or eaten!! Play balls also sound very good!
    My best bit of advice is getting another dog, best thing I ever did for Poppy, they just play together all day!!!
    happy experimenting!!!
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice