Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you house your bunnies??

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Matrix/Logan, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Hi! Just wondering how everyone houses their bunnies, i have a neighbour who breeds netherland dwarfs, she keeps them in hutches in her shed and they never go outside from the day they are born to when she loses them! Is this fair?? I love to see mine out in their runs running, hopping, jumping, sunbathing and chasing each other.
    I have attached runs to my 2 sheds, one of which used to be my sons' playhouse and my buns have free run of the floor space with hutches in the shed to sleep in or on top of, they have carpet on top of the hutches to sleep on if they wish and all are litter trained. The runs are 6' x 4' and 6' x 5' coming out from the sheds.

Just being nosey really!! ;)

I used to have them in the conservatory and lounge but by the time i was up to 7 my OH bought me a shed and built my runs onto them. (they used to go out in their runs in the daytime before).

Attached Files:

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine have a pen in my garage for over night, although at the moment Norbert has free run, whilst Lottie is shut away so she can eat more as shes growing, and hes prone to being a little porker.

During the day they have the full run of my garden, unless its tipping it down. Then they have the run of my downstairs.

I hate people that have so many buns that they spend their lives in tiered hutches. No quality of life at all.

3. Lemoney.Ellie

Lemoney.Ellie PetForums Newbie

Aww thats so sad! I have 2 bigs buns and a new born (2 weeks, mum rejected am hand raising) 2 big'uns are in an large outdoor hutch during the night and in the day I have a large run and a smaller hutch for them.
    Baby bun is in an indoor hutch and does bugger all accept go on me for a feed!

4. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

Mine are in in the bad weather and have run of the house lol!! and out in good weather with run of the garden!!! :D:D

5. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i am a french lop breeder but i dont leave mine in shed all time alot of breeders do this but i am 1 of the good guys lol
    my buns live here Lily's litter's - Carrot cottage and during the day i have 1 in run 1 down the side of house which has been made into a run and i alternate them so they all get exercise :D

6. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

Norman lives in my house.
    He used to have free run of the kitchen but he started to get naughty when I wasnt there so now he has a huge dog crate for when I arent around but when I am in the house he has full run of the downstairs.

7. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

8. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

In the nice weather mine all live out in giant purpose made runs and rotated on the land so they have a fresh supply of grass at all times.I am lucky to have a lot of land to make this possible.
    In the bad weather I have purpose built pens inside a concrete built stable which stays nice and cool in summer but nice and warm in winter.
    I do not agree with rabbits kept in 24 hours a day and would never purchase an animal from a breeder who kept them in such conditions.

9. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

My rabbits are currently kept in one of those hutch and run combinations. We do have plans however to get a larger double story hutch enclosed into a large run. But unfortunately DH was made redundant before we could do it. So we're saving again. I am hoping to have it done before the end of summer, but next spring is looking more likely.

I am very impressed with your set up and I may have to shamlessly nick a few of your ideas :D

10. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Miffy lives in my lounge/computer room its about 8m x 4m but she never ventures in the hall because she doesnt like the sound of her own nails lol. she also has a 7 x 4 foot run with a cubby for when I needed to concentrate on uni work, she only goes out there now if im hoovering because she hates the hoover! When I get my own place I have big big plans for her and a friend :) involving a cat flap so she can get the best of both worlds

11. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Leo is given free run of the house when we're there at night and when we're not there he's put in a large pen. He does have an outside run which he goes out into in good weather but he prefers being an indoor bunny.

12. Rebecca Staniford

Rebecca Staniford PetForums Newbie

I keep my bun in a hutch outside but she's only ever in there at night or when we're not in or if it's windy or raining etc. because she has the whole of our garden to run around in! :D My Dad made sure that the garden's escape proof although we do have to stand her old run up against the shed so that she can't get to the front gate because she used to escape underneath it alot when we first got her :blushing: She's been running free around the garden for 2 years now and she hasn't escaped or been harmed once :) x

13. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Mine are all hutch bunnies, and on really horrible weather days, unfortunately they are in there all day but the hutches are not in any way small. If its nice or its just going to be showers then Rascal, Marley, Gyspy go into a bug run with half of it covered over which is good against light-med rain. Hope goes into the Apex run I have with an indoor bit incase it rains. Mercedes and Mclaren get their hutch(14f4 x 2ft x 2ft! plus an upstairs bed) door pinned back and they have the rest of the shed and an outdoor area. The guineas when I am home go nextdoor (but one) on nans grass in the tops of the indoor cages :p

*Heidi*

14. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

It's great to hear you are all as passionate about your bun's not being shut in tiny hutches all day as i am.

I don't mind if anyone uses my ideas, feel free. Mine love the cat flap but as you may notice i have had to take the doors off of them as they wouldn't push them open!! They do at my local rescue centre? Mine are just obviously not as bright!!

Thanks for your replies, i have just been intrigued!

15. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

My lot have a 16ft x 4ft kennel :)

16. debbie1981

debbie1981 PetForums Senior

Originally my 2 rabbits were house rabits and had the run of the house, they got too big tho so now they,ve got a hutch in the garden. They have the run of the garden all day and then go in the hutch at night x

17. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Rebo and Zooty now have the run of the house when I am here, and they have the kitchen and hallway downstairs when we go out.

I would miss them to much if they were stuck outside, I love it when they both flop on or near my feet. But then my house is bigger than my garden lmao.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice