Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you help a grieving dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by candysmum, Mar 29, 2011.

1. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Misty has been gone a week today and I am so worried with how candy is.

My typical nutty, loopying insane Dalmatian whins and mopes.

I have been doing extra things with her but when i have no choice but to cook tea etc etc she just lays there.

She isn't happy and i'm scared i might lose her through her own grief. I have never seen her so down and you can see in her eyes just how sad she is.

Can anyone help?

2. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

awwww i feel so sorry for her my partner passed away 10 weeks ago and she probably feels the same as me, like her world has ended :( i dont know what to suggest really has she got another doggy friend?

3. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

oh i am sorry to here about your partner.

I can only imagine what it would be like. and the thought is horrible. Hugs to you.

She hasn't really not at the moment, all to far away. My mum has one of her pups but its an hours walk away and we do do it like we did today but no one close by. I am trying to arrange some Walking days with some other Dalmatians from the Dalmatian club but thats hard when you all live so far apart too! lol

I will be getting another dog at some point but of course dont want to jump in too soon for her, us or the new girl that comes. i want to make sure we are all ready.

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Oh poor Candy, she must be feeling so lost without her companion. I've never had two dogs at the same time so I don't know what to suggest other than lots of love, attention, cuddles and trying to meet up with other dogs.

Also, condolences to Marley boy, I am so sorry to hear that news.

5. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear about the loss....for all of you.

When my last Pointer was grieving over the loss of her best friend, the Yorkie that lived next door, the vet recommended Bach's Rescue Remedy and it did help.
    She had known him from the day we bought her home as a pup and she would go next door every evening at tea time to play for a little while. After he died she just to go and lay on the spot where he was buried in the garden. It took her several months to get back to her usual self but the Rescue Remedy was very good.

6. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

when we lost Poppy we were lucky Max had the cats to help him a little - however he still grieved and was very - not Max...

one thing that really helped was 'Rescue Remedy' drops from Bach - three drops on his tongue every morning and again every evening - he was a 22kilo springer

also, just getting super excited about everything - extra walks and spoiling... it's true what they say, time is a great healer - and out walking he could make doggy friends to spend part of his day with

*hugs* to you all, losing a pet *is* losing one of the family and you have my condolances at this horrible time

7. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

thank you i will get some and see if it helps.

x

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

We went through exactly the same with harvey, its not exactly grieveing as such as they dont know that the other one has died thats why i wished i had took harvey when monty was pts, he could have excepted it then, but its so hard for a dog as part of their "pack" has gone they dont know where they are they are somewhere out there as far as the dog left is concerned. What made it harder for harvey was that he knew monty was weak, he looked after him when we went out on walks so it was the weak one in the pack out there somewhere.

I really dont have any advice for you only get another, that brought harvey back he was losing weight had no interest in life at all, all he used to want to do is sit at the gate looking up and down the street looking for monty we couldnt even say his name he would bark charge around the house then whine at the door when monty didnt appear, it was heartbreaking, the vets basically said he was giving up.
    Ime so sorry about you losing your dog and know having this added upset i know it really is hard.

9. Petloversdigest

Petloversdigest PetForums Senior

If you are keen to use the flower remedies then do contact an Bach animal practitioner (there's a list on the Bach Centre's website) - my friend is one and she told me there are some specific remedies for situations such as the loss of a special friend, and I've used specifically made up remedies for years and have found them invaluable for life's traumatic events, be it for people or dogs. Sorry to hear your sad news.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice