Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How Do You Guys Feed Raw So Cheap?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by PugJack, Jun 14, 2019.

1. PugJack

PugJack PetForums Junior

As the title says really. Been looking around for ages and no idea how you do it so cheaply? Have seen on other pages some of you can feed 2 dogs for like £15 a month.

Is that achievable for us without having masses of freezer space to store in bulk?

We have a 7.5kg jug and 11kg (ish) cocker.

We are using Eukanuba at the moment and it’s getting quite costly for a 12kg bag every month

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I think the first question is whether you are looking at ready-prepared raw, or if you are taking a diy approach. If you feel confident to do it yourself, your local butcher will probably have plenty of meat that he can't sell (nothing wrong with it, just scraps and so on) that he will be happy to sell cheaply.

wee man, PugJack and lullabydream like this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I use Paleo Ridge taster boxes (I think they are now called hampers) and you can get a switching hamper (which has some tripe and some completes) and a taster hamper filled with completes. I think they are about £30 for 9kg of meat. Have you tried looking at local natural pet food shops? We have a few down here who stock a variety and can usually help you when you are thinking about swapping to raw.
    With raw you need to make sure you feed a complete and balanced diet so it's best to start with pre-made completes before swapping to some DIY stuff. Though you are usually advised to feed pure tripe for a few days then gradually introduce new meats.

PugJack likes this.
  4. PugJack

PugJack PetForums Junior

Ideally the pre-prepared/completes due to storage space and easy to feed don’t have to worry so much about ratios and adding bits etc.
    Never thought of going to the butchers might be worth a visit and an ask to see what I can get

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

There is a diy raw feeding guide (book) from a company called Honey's that seems to be very helpful. I haven't read it myself but others have said it is really useful.

PugJack likes this.
  6. PugJack

PugJack PetForums Junior

Ah brill will check those boxes out they might be useful. Not sure I’d ever do diy. Very busy family we both work and with a 2yr old probably easier sticking with premade just so I don’t cock it up

7. PugJack

PugJack PetForums Junior

The Paleo Ridge boxes look perfect! Not sure how I haven’t come across them already

We will need approx 370g - 400g per day so I’m guessing with feeding bone meals couple of times a week it should last us about a month which is perfect

I’ll need to source bones locally from butcher or supermarkets, what kind should I look out for? Suitable for a jug and cocker spaniel?

8. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

if you have fb, look at the dog food company ltd
    thats where i got my preprepared stuff from, they do plain meat minces or total complete minces with the right ratio of bone meat and organ meat, also whole rabbits and game birds in fur/feather
    for 4 dogs inc a 28kg mastiffx boxer it cost me between £30 and £40 per month, depending on my choice each month

now im down to 3 dogs between 5 and 7kg, I get it from the local butcher, who does completes in 995g packets @£2,50 a pkt, which means i spend only £15 per month, he also does human grade chicken carcass, average 3 in a pack for 50p, trotters 4 in a pack for £1, duck carcass 2 for £1
    morrisons do lamb and beef bones for between 50p -£2 ish, depending if theyre beef bones with lots of meat still on them ( skinny short ribs) or just lamb ribs
    I dont feed pork
    chicken wings are around £2 a pack, try and get the ones in three parts, so you get the meaty bit, not just the bone and tip
    eggs, raw or boiled, shelled or not, are a great addition
    I always look out for reduced (yellow stickered) lamb or beef kidney/liver when shopping

I found the best way to do raw cheap, is to buy yourself a second hand chest freezer ( or look on freecycle etc) just for dog food

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Look for non weight bearing bones - ribs rather than legs.

10. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Feeding raw does not have to be "balanced" every day. If you use a good variety of products, ( various meats, assorted offal, edible bones, fat, gristle ) with occasional raw veg and a little fruit, the diet will balance itself over a couple of weeks.

As mentioned by @JoanneF there is a nice little book "Honeys Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs", this is a very good informational little book, it is easy to read and understand and can be obtained from the "Honeys" website for free. Also on Amazon for as little as 1p.
    This will help you understand how raw works and how to do it.
    However, if you are at all unsure it is quiet easy to purchase "complete" raw mixes/frozen mixes for convenience and re assurance.

JoanneF and niamh123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice