Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you get yours dry?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Micky93, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Eddie has a double coat, and we learnt from when he was a young dog that if we didn't dry him off after a bath or heavy rain (back before the days of swimming :lol: ) that he would stink. Up until now we have used the hair dryer on the lowest setting on cold to dry him after his baths, but I'm wondering if this would be aiding to irritating his skin condition.

Because of his thick coat a normal towel just doesn't cut it, and underneath he is still soaked through. He goes bonkers when wet, sliding and scuffling around the floor like a nutter trying to dry himself :crazy:

Any tips? :eek:

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

mmmm how often do you dry him with the hair-dryer?

If once in a blue moon then it probably doesn't do any real harm - but if on a regular basis, it's bound to dry out the hair (like it does ours!) and may well irritate his skin

Maisie gets dried down with towels (usually several) - she may still be damp but TBH it shouldn't really be a problem

Double coated dogs were generally bred to work / live in harsh conditions where extreme cold / heat or wet were a regular thing and their coats are designed to deal with being wet without them getting really cold etc

3. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

I just towel mine over quickly then leave them to dry. If it is a sunny day and they've been in the lake, they are usually dry by the time we get home, or I will put them in the garden for a bit. In the winter they lay by the radiators. Otherwise it is a going over with a towel and I leave them.

4. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Not that often, I try and avoid bathing him unless necessary. No more than once every 4 or so months.

I wouldn't mind if his coat was just damp, but underneath it stays soaked, like really properly soaked. Hmmm :001_unsure:

5. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

How about one of those dry-bag things, I think they're supposed to be quite good.

I just give Tia a rub with a towel, she doesn't have much fur :p.

6. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

That rubbing on the floor is a natural terrier thing to do when wet. There's loads of videos of it on you tube :D Pippi does it after her bath or if she gets wet when out she does it on mud or grass.

I always let mine dry naturally, even my old OTRB boy who had a thick double coat. I quite like the smell of wet dog so I must be weird :p

7. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

metaldog - He's done it since he was a pup, it's hilarious! He winds himself right up doing it then crashes out wherever he happens to drop :lol:

tiatortilla - I did try one of those bag type things, if it's the same one I'm thinking about and it didn't do anything at all :(

8. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

My three just get towel dried and then left to dry off naturally.

Val xx

9. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

Mine just get towel dried but if it's cold I will put Scooby's equafleece on him since he is an old man and it's water wicking. :eek:

I don't tend to bathe mine unless they have rolled in something disgusting. :eek:

10. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Florence has a double coat (Lab) and takes ages to dry. I rub her down with a towel then leave her to finish drying on top of a few towels on her bed or the sofa.

11. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

That certainly doesn't sound excessive for the hair-dryer

For every day drying have you tried putting some towels down for him to dry himself on?

Once I've got the worst off maisie, I always put a dry towel on the sofa & her bed as she will inevitably go and lie on one or the other ..... if not both!

12. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

My youngsters do the same, rubbing on the grass and big dog goes nuts on the bed, quite bonkers!! They have towelling robes and if they're left on, they dry very quicky:
    [​IMG]

They also have a hairdryer. :)

13. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

We don't bother. They've just been out in the paddling pool and come in drippping wet. The sofa is wet from where they rolled around on it, they ran around a bit to make sure all the floors are wet and now they're all sleeping. :p

14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

The microfibre absorbent dog drying cloths work quite well. They use them at the local hydrotherapy pool.

You can get them off Amazon and probably Ebay.

15. cbrookman

cbrookman PetForums VIP

I use a Groomers Absorbent towel which I bought from Pets At Home. I get fed up with trying to dry 3 large wet towels after each walk and these are like synthetic chamois leathers that you keep in their own small plastic tube. They are only small but soak the water up and they can be popped in the washing machine. I have tried the cheap pet towels and found them useless. The Groomers towels are great and now my house is free from muddy damp towels :D

16. Beau-a-saurus

Beau-a-saurus PetForums Senior

I wonder if it is a coat issue rather than a drying issue? Can I ask, if he is double coated and rough haired, is he stripped? I thought rough coats were supposed to be weather proof so only the top gets soaked and the undercoat stays dry (when out and about not baths :D) so if he has been clipped or trimmed it may be worth hand stripping or thinning his undercoat to prevent the problem in the first place? Just an off the wall idea though!

Goodluck!!!

17. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Good towelling does it for mine.....Do damp dogs smell, cant say I've noticed, but then mine end up wet most days so I guess I've gotten used to it..

18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I usually towel her off and let her dry naturally - if she's just been wet from rain her coat is fairly waterproof, but 'swimming' (in puddles) or a bath takes hours to dry.

If it's cold I'll put her equafleece on her while she dries.

And yes, she does the rubbing on the floor thing too!

19. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

A nice rub down with a towel - which Edie loves! This summer has been easy with the lovely weather

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice