Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you get rid of litter tray smells

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lumboo, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I know changing and disinfecting the tray etc, would help to keep smells minimum but I was wondering if any of you use air freshers, scented candles or oils that don't harm the cats?

Have you found annything to work better than others?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I have a plug in air freshener in the room where my litter box is but I can honestly say I don't have a problem with litter tray smells. I use a clumping litter and poos are removed as soon as possible. A high meat content diet helps to eliminate the smell too.

3. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Same here ^^^^ , I don't have a problem with litter tray smells. The poo is scooped as soon as possible and wee scooped a few times a day. I've use good quality litter and I think this makes a huge difference in odour. When I first had the cats, I used Catsan - it was terrible!!!! But now, with Natures Gold, everything is fine.

The odour you're experiencing, what's it related to, number 1 or number 2?

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Nope no litter tray smells here either.Remove deposits as soon as done and all is well :D

5. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

worse thing is when they have done their business in the daytime so it gets left a while and you walk in from work and the smell hits you!!

i can testify to the fact different foods produce different smells!! i usually feed james well beloved and classic wet and the smell is ok. but i have recently changed over to purely dry food and the smell is much worse - shame i still have 2 boxes of it to get through!!

another problem i have is one of my cats doesnt bury her poops so the litter doesnt really get to absorb the smells from that!

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Must just be lucky in that Meeko's "deposits" dont smell too strong and if done while I have been out ,or overnight ,there is very little smell.

7. Mazzle

Mazzle PetForums Newbie

We bought some scented litter tray liners from pound shop, as well as some litter deodoriser powder (also poundshop).... obviously we haven't had Clawdius long enough to know if his leavings are less smelly than usual :) but the tray smells lovely, and it doesn't deter him from using it at all!

8. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

I have a plug in air freshener by the tray, but also clean out any poos as soon as she does them. We do have a slight problem when we are out and she uses it as it's right by the front door (the only place she will use it grrr little madam!!) Bit of a pong when we get home but nothing bad :)

9. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

so far Tilly's litter tray doesnt really smell. Like others have said, as soon as shes done a poo its getting scooped out, I dont bother so much with wee, I do that once a day and then the whole thing gets cleaned out every other day

10. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

My sense of smell is pretty sensitive and I reallly think that Arnold's tray does smell even though I clean out any clumps through the day the actual litter just seems to smell as soon as he's been in it after I've done the whole thing out.

I've been using the pets at home own brand clumping litter as that is what the breeder used, and loads of reviews on their site say it's great for odour control, is it just me?!

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I don't get that problem at all quite frankly :) Maybe it's just I'm not too sensitive to it. I can only smell it immediately if Sooty has had a bad tummy. Most days we just clean it out once a day, for his cleanliness, but quite frankly if we forget and it goes two days inbetween it makes no difference whatsoever in smell. We have used Sainsbury's own clumping cat litter, £1.99 per 8kg pack.
    I've got a huge load of Sophisticat wood pellet litter to try now though, as the sand is going everywhere at the moment!

12. Muzzie

Muzzie PetForums Junior

I used to use the same clumping litter and my opinions of it are quite poor, it seemed to form a thick, hard crust on the bottom when they'd had a wee and did nothing for masking the smell.
    I've now switched to Cats Best Okoplus and although it doesn't thoroughly remove the odour it is so so much better and would highly recommend it! :D

13. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Snap, whatever time of the day, if we are home, he comes to tell us - oh yes even in the early hours

14. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

A lot depends on the sort of litter you use. My husband kept insisting on buying Catsan, but I hate the stuff, it doesn't clump so the piddle just soaks in and gets smellier and smellier as time goes on. :eek: I managed to persuade him to stop by ordering online (so he doesn't have to carry it!!) and on the recommendation of people on here, we now use Cat's Best from zooplus as well. A bit more expensive than Catsan, but we wrote the date on the bag when we started using it and it does seem to be lasting quite a bit longer. With Catsan we had to chuck the lot out completely about twice a week and use scalding water in the tray to clean it. We don't have to do that now, as all the piddle clumps and gets removed along with the solids and you're left with clean litter each time. :)

We could probably get an even better brand by paying more, but with three cats it's a balancing act between what we are prepared to pay and getting one that performs satisfactorily.

Of course you can get the best cat litter in the world, but still the secret would be to get the smellies out of there asap!

15. DCW

DCW PetForums Newbie

I'm with a few others on here. I've two cats using one tray and I use Oko Plus Cats Best. It really is fantastic at keeping the odours down if you (as many have said) clean it out as soon as you can after a solid deposit. Oko is curious though, in that you need to leave the wee a bit longer to form a ball. If you go in to clean it straight after it's been deposited you find a mush of Porridge-like gooey clump. Leave it half an hour and it's a satisfactory clumped ball. Our litter tray is in the bathroom so it's straight into the loo and the smell is all flushed. No smells at all from my litter tray but, using better food means no smells. I've just cleaned out the tray and actually, there was hardly any smell from the poo sitting in there! I feed Smilla Wet and Orijen Dry and as it's a highish meat content, more of it is processed by the cat leaving smaller, less smelly poo. I hear from raw feeders that the cat's poo is very small with hardly any smell and what's more, they mostly only get a 'deposit' every other day!

Hope this helps

- Also, I've just started using Bob Martin Litter Freshener - seems great so far but too soon to make a full decision.

#15 DCW, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice