Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you get peace?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Royoyo, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

When you have family visiting for a week?

Got my OH's family visiting us for a week. Mum and Dad and then Brother, sister in law and 3 kids all coming to stay. I love seeing them don't get me wrong but I'd rather it be for a day and then they all go home. Sometimes the screaming kids and constant having to make conversation, cups of tea, cook etc etc gets a bit much for me.

When we stayed up there at Christmas at the in-laws I had to hide in my room for around an hour daily just to keep myself a bit sane. My partner wasn't too happy about this and said it comes across as rude.

Anyone got any survival tips?

Would you be offended as an in-law if you came to visit me and I had to take a time out from you? lol

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Take the dogs for a walk. Lots and lots of walks :)

Cleo38, MiffyMoo and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

I don't have one :( I suppose I could take the cats for a walk :D

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Say 'I'm just off up the shops to get some bits and pieces'. Then go out and sit in a quiet place for an hour.

Royoyo, Cleo38, cava14 una and 3 others like this.
  5. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Not at all. I'm an introvert, and need time away from people in order to be able to handle people. I was on a family holiday the other week, and went and hid in my room for a bit all the days we stayed in, or I'd have got snippy. My family know this, and it's not a problem for them :)

Royoyo and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Leave the key under the frog on the door step and go away for a week's holiday . :D

Why are you doing it's and not your OH? . Its his family . if he's at work ,tell him to take time off.

Royoyo likes this.
  7. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

It just seems to work out that way. Obviously he makes conversation but when it comes to anything food related or drinks it's left up to me!

kimthecat likes this.
  8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I just don't do family. I think I can count on one hand the amount of times a relation has visited me in the 20 + years I've lived here ;)

Just say no :D

Royoyo, FeelTheBern and Elles like this.
  9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Nice to be of an age not to have lots of family visits. Although I miss sorely mum and dad and my in laws, it is peaceful in our house most of the time. Both daughter and son are single although daughter has a man in her life at the moment, our main visitor from time to time is my widowed sister in law and she is a friend as well as a relation.
    I can understand how you feel. Both our parents lived about a forty minute drive from us and would phone to check we were in before coming to see us giving us a chance to tidy up and hoover before they arrived. They would stay for a few hours or longer if a meal was involved and then go away again.
    When we lived elsewhere for a number of years they used to come up and stay, lovely to see them initially, but after a while it would begin to pall and I was desperate for some peace and quiet. Luckily I had dogs to disappear with.

I think the popping to the shops is a good idea unless one of them decides to come along and 'help'

Royoyo, rona and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Move to a much smaller house so they have to stay in a hotel?

Royoyo, havoc, FeelTheBern and 4 others like this.
  11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Typical man !

Royoyo likes this.
  12. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Think how lovely it will be to have your home back!!!

Get them out...all out...walks, cinema, theme park, boating. Much easier to have it in the open air...
    Just find out any events locally....
    Tire them out ...then they will be quieter and happy with iPad and a movie.
    Barbecue....?

Royoyo likes this.
  13. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

A week is a long time! They shouldn't expect to be waited on for a week. Show them where the tea bags are and tell them to make themselves at home and help themselves any time they fancy a cuppa.

Royoyo, cava14 una and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Take lots of baths?

Royoyo likes this.
  15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I feel your pain .... I hate having guests longer than a day, & a week is a long time. When I was with my ex we had his 2 daughters stay with us for a week which was a real struggle for me as I'm also the sort of person that needs my space. My poor dogs were dragged out for hours worth of walking each day ..... the walks got longer throughout the week as I was struggling even more ... they were exhausted come the end of the week :D

I've recently gotten in mindful meditation for coping with stress & anxiety (I know it;s a bit of a 'thing' now but it works for me!!).I have several meditation sessions downloaded on my phone so when i'm a bit stressed (usually at work) I go off & sit in my car for a bit (they y range n length but I usually do 15 min ones) & these have helped me enormously.

Or can't you use an exercise session as an excuse ..... say you've recently taken up jogging or power walking or something so need to get out & do this daily? Or just be honest ..... not sure if that would go down well but alot of people do understand.

Or .... drink lots of wine in the evenings to cope!!! :D

Royoyo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice