Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how do you get a kitten to chill out and let you relax or sleep

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by buckyd, Jul 15, 2009.

1. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

my kitten is so energetic but unfortunately at the wrong time- my bedtime- HELP

2. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Sorry I don't have any experience with kittens, my cats were both adults when we got them.

From previous posts I have read that cats are naturally nocturnal and do unfortunately come alive at night. It seems like a playmate of a similar age might be an idea, obviously depending on your circumstances!

Maybe try to tire him/her out before bedtime, plenty of play might settle him/her down.

Other than that maybe keep him/her out of the bedroom for a bit of peace?

3. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

We had this with our kittens Charlie and Lola. It got to the point where we were unable to sleep at night. We started playing with them before bedtime in a bid to tire them out. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. We have now taken to shuting them out of our bedroom at night.

We can still hear them tearing around the house, but at least they no longer run over the top of us or use us as springboards.

4. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

good luck getting them to calm down, the only thing you can do is keep them out your room at night for now they will (or at least should) grow out of it

5. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i highly doubt your kitten will grow out of this unless corrected. i still get woken by sheldon through the nite and hes nearly 1.
    the best thing ive learnt (cudnt bear to lock him out the bedroom) was wen he jumped on me for a stroke i put him on the floor. after a few attempts he understood and wud jump up and curl up to sleep. he was only ever corrected when he nudged for a stroke.
    you jst have to think your kitten nos no other. cats do very well with routine, i go to bed bout 11 every nite so sheldon nos this is time for bed and any later i get nasty looks of him and lots of yawning lol.
    other than that you cud get a little friend for you kitten. then you can keep them out your room and they still have company

fingers crossed you get somethin sorted.

6. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

all my kittens have grown out of it, yes kittens need a little training as all babies do but they do not all keep up the kitten hyperactive behaviour past a year and a half usually.

7. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

My kittens go into a large crate at 10.30pm every night...they know its bed toie and go straight to sleep...also during the day when they need to calm down they have a timeout in the crate and they have a little nap....:D

8. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

We got two kittens together which worked well cos they played with each other! We confined them to the kitchen at night so that any accidents/ damage was limited. We then gradually gave them more freedom around the house as they got older and more sensible! Now, the only room they aren't allowed in is our room. Have you got toys for your kitten? I found some simple toys- even a cardboard box- would give our kittens lots of fun when we weren't around.

Also, are you planning to let your kitty out when she's had her jabs? They work off lots of energy outside and tend to come back to sleep and chill out...

Hope that helps a bit!

Amanda

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

She still wouldnt be able to go out until spayed so at about 7/8 months!

Well the kitten is just being a kitten!

I dont let kits sleep in my room, I have to do with Tia at the mo as I have a new girl here who is in the living room.

She has been pretty good, she tends to know that its sleep time as the other cats sleep with me to so she follows them!

Although I did wake up to a leg attack the other day but it was quite funny!

10. kath123

kath123 Guest

My cat is 2 and still seems to come alive at night as cats do

i am now letting her out at night instead as she is starting to go in my son's bedroom and wake him up, i try to shut his door but she opens it!!!! ;)

So i either shut her in a different room or put her outside. :rolleyes:

11. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

The other day DH went to work really early and forgot to shut the bedroom door.

I woke as I was finding it difficult to breathe, my chest was very heavy. Both Charlie and Lola had decided to come in and sleep on my chest.

I did feel guilty at first shutting them out. But I need my sleep

12. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about spaying! We let ours out b4 she'd been done cos they never went further than the garden. We had the other one done (he's a boy) so we didn't have any babies...

13. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I think it depends on the cat.

Decker knows when its bed time at 10 or so and will come up on her own free will most of the time. Sometimes tho if shes feeling frisky i have to catch her and carry her up.

She does knock things of the dresser and jump on me but after a while she settles down. She sleeps under the blankets at my feet.

Horris on the other cant sleep with me, cuz he wont stop talking :rolleyes: i dont know who he thinks is listening but it aint me. So he gets to sleep in the garage in his pink fluffy bed :cool:

14. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

the baby is still impossible at bedtime. i have had to put him in another room for now as he just will not stay still and let me sleep

15. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

haha i know exactly what you're going through.. My cat is awake at night more than ever. I used to keep her in my room with the door shut at night and when she was bad I'd kick her out.. And then I fostered a mom cat and her 5 kittens for almost 3 months and so my cat didn't sleep in my room at all then..

Once I was done fostering I let her back in and she's been really good since.. I leave my door cracked open now so if she does feel like she needs to run around, she can go into the living room or something

16. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

i cannot get another kitten as my adult cat will have a stroke if I bring another enitity into the home. I will have to tire him out and then if he odes not sleep, I will put him in his own room at bedtime

17. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

i thought a lot of evening play would tire him out, but here at midnite- he is just as frisky as ever. I just cannot allow him in my bedroom at night. At what age do these little fellas finally understand about chilling out?

18. sda68

sda68 PetForums Newbie

I dont know very much about cats or kittens but my two were keeping me up at nights running around playing with eachother and nocking things over until I started to let them outside. Now they just come and sleep with me once I get them in at night. Must wear themselves out.

19. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

Hiya, I have 3 kittens at the moment. 2 of them are 4 months old and one is 9 weeks. I also have a 1yr old.

All mine follow me up to bed but they know its sleep time. They did used to wake my husband up but everytime they did he would take them out of the room. They soon learnt :D

20. spid

spid PetForums VIP

My two year old cats still play at night (cats are nocturnal naturally) - I keep them downstairs shut away in the kitchen and dining room and altoughI can hear th bumps and the running it isn't bad enough to keep me awake. There is no guarentee that he will settle at night, I would get him used to 'going to bed' in a different room.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice