Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you feel about Breeder's ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

As the title,

A healthy discussion please ;) :)

2. rona

rona Guest

I am absolutely disgusted by anyone who is still breeding at the moment, there is just no excuse at all. I have said this before and I know that breeders do not agree.
    I think that anyone who thinks they can justify having pups at the moment is living with there head up their a**e

3. Savahl

Savahl Guest

#3 Savahl, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Even if the breeder has had the mating planned for a long time with homes lined up ?

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

my personal feeling on this is that those could be homes for dogs that already exist that desperatly need homes.

Obviously this is a flawed concept as not everyone that wants a puppy will want a rescue; but this i feel is partly due to the misconception that all rescues come with probems and issues, you cant get a puppy etc etc etc.

6. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i think that there are two sides to it....

There will always be people wanting puppies, or those with young children not being able to take on a rescue... the question is, are those people willing to miss out on a dog for one, two or three years???

I see nothing wrong with breeding if done the proper way. Of course if those who breed responsible stop, the puppyfarm dogs will rise in demand.

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

But a rescue is not suitable for everyone,myself included.
    Those that want a puppy will not take an older rescue so I don't see how they are taking homes away from those in rescue.

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I don't think breeding should be happening at the moment either :(

Yes, breeders may have homes lined up - but what happens if the new owners lose their job or have their wages cut or need to make cutbacks? The dog will probably suffer because of that. So, it's all well and good to say "oh yes I have homes lined up i'm fantastic" but with things the way they are at the moment, I wouldn't dream of breeding a dog. I think it's quite selfish.

9. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Rescues often have puppies, it just means looking for the right rescue. Also hunting through different rescue centres you will find blanket rules dont always apply. I know people with young children who have rescues, same as FT workers. There will be some rescues with blanket policies but not all do this, some do still assess on individual basis in relation to the dog and the applicant.

On the other hand i can also see that if all responsible breeders stopped breeding there would be more business for the unscrupulous ones. Because people will always want to buy over rescues sadly.

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Plus you will loose quality,good bloodlines and breed type.

11. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I am very happy with my breeder. They have an excellent reputation and have produced lovely, healthy dogs.

I have spent a long time deciding which breed to choose and a very long time finding the right breeder (even though they live 3 hours away).

I bring home my little puglet on Saturday. I have absolutely no intentions in breeding from her ever.

That said, I have visited breeders, who breed just about anything and let their stud dogs breed with anything and actually do have all sorts housed in their stinky back yards. I asked so many questions they never contacted me again!

12. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

I also agree- it is ridiculous that people are bringing more dogs into the world whilst there are so many that are already looking for homes (sorry but same for cats too) and the very worst ones are the ones doing it just for a quick buck with no regard for the mum or who the poor pups end up with

13. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

So that makes it right to keep pumping out the puppies when times are so hard?

I'm sure not breeding (or not breeding half as much) for a couple of years won't completely destroy everything.

14. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Puppies are lucky in rescue as they tend to be homed alot quicker than the older dogs.
    I will admit we are probably been selfish here,as we wanted a wellbred puppy to show and bring up with our children,you can't show a rescue,plus after our two negative experiences with rescue's we opted to go to a good breeder.

15. rona

rona Guest

But this is an excellent time to route out the puppy farmers

16. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Not at all as good breeders do NOT pump out puppies ;)
    They tend to ony breed a litter every couple of years.
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with breeding if all puppies have homes to go to,which good breeders ensure or they are prepared to keep any surpus puppies that don't have a home.

Aot of good breeders only breed every couple of years anyhow,not that it will have much impact because there are always the BYB and PF's to fill their shoes.

17. rona

rona Guest

If people really want one of their pups they would wait a year, and if they weren't willing then are they the type of people that you would want your pup going to anyway

One or two litters aren't going to make any difference to bloodlines or quality

18. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I guess one issue is that you can't make someone choose to have a 6 year old rescue staffie when what they want is a 12 week old Chihuahua. It's horrible there are so many staffs (to use one example) being destroyed prematurely because they have been dumped but I don't think the burden of guilt for that should lie with responsible potential owners making informed choices that simply don't want that type of dog.

The blame ought to be laid at the people breeding with only a thought for how much they can make out of their sale.

19. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Again this depends,it could be the bitches last litter and the breeder wants to keep a pup back,so waiting a year might not be a viable option.

Again it depends,see above,in general no but it might make a difference to the breeder continuing with what they have built up and established over the years.

20. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I think if its a good breeder I don't have a problem with it. If they stop breeding people that just want puppies and don't want rescues, they all have behavioural problems don't you know, they're going to go to bybs. Why encourage them more? That being said breeding far too many litters is irresponsible right now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice