Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you feed two dogs at the same time??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LostGirl, Aug 1, 2009.

1. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Now Bear has settled abit more hesgetting sneaky with food Hes very very greedy and will eat all of his in about 6 seconds and then tries to go for Zebs but before tonight it was when zeb had walked away (far enough i guess!)

But tonight although he is submissive to zeb and zeb defo is top dog and has been since day one, he tried to go for zebs food while he was eating it,zeb then went for him and they had a little fight thankfully OH was in the kicthen sort of watching them and got them to stop just by saying hay hay loudly

But now im wondering if its better to seperate them in different rooms but the only problem with that is zeb likes to pick at his last meal at the moment will it teach him if i bring it up once hes walked away that he has to eat it all in one go?

I dont really want fighting dogs at the ize they are as alot fo time its just me and the kids home, i dont want to risk them getting hurt either by acciedent as i know neither would hurt them intentionally Bear has bonded really wel with the children and looks worried if he cant see them on our walks bless him!

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Most people will shut them separate rooms if they have two. I wouldnt feed mine with another dog around hes fab with us and kids etc with his food but doesnt like other dogs near his bowl.

3. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I wouldn't seperate them, it cann be done, i do it with 8 dogs eating at one time :D It is common that the dogs will go for eachothers bowls once they are finished, but you click your fingers and put your hand in front of the dogs face to stop him , or stand in front of him and say "no!" and he should leave it.
    However if this doesn't work maybe it is best to seprate them as they are big lads eh? :eek: :D

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

mine are always fed in seperate rooms, when I had 4 they were all fed seperately.

5. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i feed the 4 older dogs seperatly,

but i feed the three 4yr olds together i make them 'stand' for about a minute before i put their bowls down...they always line up in exactly the same order & have done this since they were puppies.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I feed mine about 12 inches apart. Oscar is always on the left, Alfie the right. Foods gone in about 90 seconds.

If you have a dog that picks, then it may be best to feed seperately. Cant be nice feeling like you're under pressure to eat quickly.
    Maybe give a time limit, say 15 mins, then if any is left, then its removed. He'll soon learn to eat it all in one sitting.

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My pair get fed about 12 inches apart too. Same if I am doggy sitting 2 of Dave siblings!

When it is just my 2 they both have to sit and wait, when I put the dish down, until I say ok.

With 4, the calemst gets their food 1st. I 'shhht' at the others to keep them back and they only get theres when they are calm.

Dave had a few days where he liked to pick at his dinner. I figured it was because I was giving him just a little too much but he still wanted to eat it all, so slowed down when he was getting full! lol

x

8. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

They are apart as in about a metre away from each other, just bear tries his luck i dont want either to get hurt

Might have to be a a stand over or near and keep teeling bear no and maybe praise him with food for staying away

Oh the joys lol!

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I feed my two together. I make them sit and wait before they're allowed to eat but I have to keep an eye on Candy's food because she's always walking off and leaving it and Sky will eat it if she gets the chance :rolleyes:

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

yeah they both wait although Bear does need to be told a few times as hes so eger to eat it lol

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah when I had Daves sister she would try and dart over to the next bowl. And I used a spray bottle and said ''No!' loudly, and praised her for eating out her own bowl.

x

12. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I feed the girls in the kitchen and the boys in the dining room but don't shut the gate or door between. The only ones that disagree are Tilly-Mai and Kenzo. It could be because they are the same age and trying to work it out still, I really don't know.

To slow Bear down put a ball in his food bowl and as he eats it will move around so he will need to move it about. I have one in each of the boys bowls and it works a bit :D

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I tried that with Dixie when she was younger... She took the ball out, put it in the water dish, ate all her dinner really fast then brought the ball to me! Lol!

x

14. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I feed all mine together, get them to sit and wait until I tell them to eat and they only eat out of their own bowls with a firm no if they try to go for the others bowls. I would try putting something in the bowl that he has to eat around to try and slow him down a bit.

15. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

That's because Dixie is clever and my boys are typical boys and don't think :D

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I feed our two Bichons at opposite ends of the kitchen. The puppy always finishes first - she's sooo greedy.:eek: She will then go to my older Bichons bowl who incidentally used to be a fast eater before we had the puppy but now I'm convinced he makes it last on purpose just to make her think he's had more than her.:rolleyes: If she goes near his bowl I tell her 'No' and she backs off. He wouldn't hurt her though and would probably let her have it although he has been a bit more assertive with her the last week or so - I think he's putting his paws down a bit and showing her who is boss.:laugh:

17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Mine are all fed in crates. They are crated in pairs dog and bitch together. The whippets if you give them a bowl each tend to eat out of one bowl then eat out of the other so they now have 1 big bowl between 2. If I notice some one is not getting his/her fair share then they come out and are fed seperately. The 2 greyhounds are fed in their massive crate one on one side the other on the other side. They have seperate bowls but I have to watch them as Button pinches of William and he doesn't like that. Zoe has to be fed on her own as she doesn't like other dogs around her when she's eating.

18. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Yeah im thinking of getting one of those bowls thats meant to slow them down, will give balls a try first tho thank you

I did think of crating them but zeb refuses to eat in a crate he wont entertain the idea at all even a pigs ear or chicken wings :eek:

19. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

mine get fed next to each other, when we first fed them together, we stood nearby to make sure no one stole the others food, after a few no's and blocking the bowls they soon got used to the idea and have eaten fine like this for years.:D

20. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

My 2 get fed in their beds. When they see their dish's they both go to their respective beds and wait. Luckily they both seem to take the same amount of time and finish eating together

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice