Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you do your jigsaw?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 3, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Because I have been told I am odd.

To me it is the only way that it makes sense!

I go thru the whole box, one handful at a time putting the edge pieces on the board and the others in the lid.

Then I constuct the edge pieces.

Then I go back through the box taking certain pieces that look like they might go somewhere that I can place them inside the edge pieces by looking at the picture to see where they go.

Then I take out the pieces that are the same colour as the main part.... say if it was a dog then I would take out all the bits with dog on them and then out of those I take the ones with bits of dog and edge and try and put them together to build up the main part of the jigsaw.

By this point I usually have plainish peices left like the grass and the sky. So I seperate them to two piles.

Then take the one I am doing first so say all of the sky pieces and split them into groups.... so I have piles of pieces with....
    1 in and 3 outs, 2 in 2 outs, 3 in 1 outs etc and fit them that way :lol:

I haven't done a jigsaw for a while. I have just started one of a beagle puppy.
    Then it will go on my wall.... I can't bear to take them apart!
    I use to have a 4000 (I think!) piece jigsaw on my wall in a flat I lived in, it was of wolves and trees and a moon. All of mine I turn them over and stick them together when they are done! :)

I wonder how long it would take me to cover one wall in my bedroom with completed jigsaws? That would be unique! Lol

2. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Nope! You're technique is exactly right in my book :D

Em
    xx

3. xxsarahpopsxx

xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

yup me too :D

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Dunno about technique but we did the Smartie one once and there was a flippin piece missing:rolleyes:

Took us weeks to do:(

5. danielled

danielled Guest

Your technique is right though I still get in a pickle lol.

6. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Same way I do mine

7. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

I do mine exactly the same :eek:

Always manage to lose a piece before I'm finished tohugh , only one I've completed without losing is a farmyard one aimed at 5 year olds , it had 20 peices :p

8. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

one of my kids now 19,when he was little used to do his jigsaws wrong side up!!:eek::eek:He would sit for hours doing them,but we never got to see what they were of because they all looked the same!

9. Nithnell

Nithnell PetForums Senior

I sort of do mine the same,

sort through and take out the edge pieces and put those together, and hunt through looking for ones that may go somewhere,

then look the picture and start putting together certain objects- i love the Kinkade jigsaws, so I might start on a bridge or a horse or something, and connect them

I then painstakingly sort out the rest into groups categorized by shape and finish it off from there. I've got a puzzle board and a large table so I've got the space to do it.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ive now got a puzzle board :) not done a jigsaw for ages cause I had nowhere to put them when they weren't done yet! Lol

My flatmate where we had the massive jigsaw, use to lay all the pieces out on the table and do most of it by eye! Like, he could piece loads of them together just by looking at them without the picture!

I bought off ebay a few years ago, a jigsaw the same as the one my sister and I use to do when we were younger, late at night in my room when we were supposed to be sleeping! Lol.... only to find when I had just about finished it, there was a piece missing! :( managed to by pure chance find that same jigsaw in a charity shop some months later (I had not broken the jigsaw up, I use to break them up into A4 size sections and slide onto paper and put in the box) and the bloody pieces were cut differently so the piece that was missing didn't even fit!! :lol:

11. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:lol: Sadly I find this thread really interesting :lol:

Em
    xx

12. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I have to agree with some of the others in this thread. Your technique sounds exactly like the one I use. Only difference is my first step is getting the four corners out before the edge pieces!

:)

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I put the corners to one side when I am getting the edge pieces.

I started this thread just after I started sorting the pieces. I have now built all of the edge pieces :)

Now I am going to bed. Maybe tomorrow I will start taking photos and post my progress :lol: (bored or what? haha)

14. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

pmsl I wanna seeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Night hen :D

Em
    xx

15. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Simple! I pick certain focal points in the picture and begin working outwards.
    I've often ended up with 3/4 different sections of the picture but they all come together in the end! The border/edging is always last and much simpler to fit together:001_smile:

16. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

havent done a jigsaw for ages but your method sounds right to me. its the most logical way to do it. would love to do this jigsaw

World's Largest Jigsaw Puzzle at Firebox.com

but dont have room for something that big!

17. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

My OH does jigsaws the absolute weirdest way. :blink:

He just picks pieces out of the box and places them where he thinks they roughly belong on the board. He will usually have a number of areas all connected before he gets the edging completed. If he picks up a piece that doesn't 'work' where he's trying it, it just gets chucked back in the box! :eek:

This 'method' does seem to work though because he can do a 1000 piece in 2-3 days max.

I do mine the old fashioned way - edges & corners followed by set areas etc. If a piece doesn't fit, I put it to one side to ensure I don't try it again at that point... Just like the normal people around here! :D :D :D

18. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Wow I want that massive jigsaw!!! :lol:

When I move (not likely soon) I want a jigsaw room :D :lol: With a massive massive table that I could do that huge jigsaw on. Then I would stick it together and put it on my wall.

I think for now I will stick to wee ones :) Lol

19. Pretty much like you do!
    start with the outsides and work from the four corners! then pick out specific areas of the puzzle.

20. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

Yep, used to do exactly the same. :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice