Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

How do you decide who to sell to?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Veba, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Veba

Veba PetForums Junior

What is important when deciding who gets your puppies? When do you decide? Just put in an application and nervously waiting.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

When I was breeding, I was very particular who had one of my pups, but I didn't expect people to jump through hoops.

I was always looking for someone who obviously loved dogs and had some knowledge and common sense, though I didn't expect everyone to be an expert.

One woman came here and, on the face of it, it seemed a very good home. She said all the right things but, when one of my adult terriers brushed against her pants, she began brushing dog hairs off and seemed to be quite vexed about it. No good if someone doesn't expect a few hairs around the place. That put me right off her.

Anyone with unruly kids who saw puppies as toys was out too.

Any good breeder will want to see that you have thought carefully about bringing home a pup and have done at least some research into your chosen breed. Also, if you work, a Breeder may want to hear what arrangements you have made for your pup for his alone hours.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, (so long as they're not pointless). A good breeder would always prefer somebody who doesn't pretend they know it all and isn't afraid to ask.

I never sold a pup to anyone on first meeting. They used to come here, spend an hour or so, which gave me a good opportunity to get a feeling for them.

I then always asked them to go and have a chat and a good think about it and be sure they were ready for a pup and to contact me again if they were keen.

3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

When I went to see the breeders of Isla I took along photos and the pedigrees of my previous Goldens, I wanted to show that we were experienced and fairly knowledgeable dog owners and were very familier with the breed. I also knew the sorts of questions I was likely to get asked as well as the ones I wanted to ask them.
    We had an hour 'interview' before I got to see the puppies, but it was very friendly and amicable. The breeders wanted to find out as much as possible about us, where we lived and what we could provide for one of their precious pups. They also wanted to know if we were working (were retired) and how long the dog would be left.
    Because we were experienced dog owners a lot was skipped over, but if you are a first time dog owner there will be a lot you will need to know such as feeding schedule, worming schedule, grooming tips, how much exercise to give a puppy and so on and so fourth.
    Don't get too nervous, remember to ask about anything you're not sure about, make a list if you think you will forget.

4. Veba

Veba PetForums Junior

Thanks for the replies. Did you decide once the puppies were here? On paper I should be fine and I've done a lot of research. Guess it's just a waiting game. Not sure we'll get an 'interview'. We've met with the daughter of the breeder as my bf knows her. I have asked when we'll know but I'm impatiently waiting for a reply.

5. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

Ok so please take this with a pinch of salt as I don't breed dogs.
    I have however been breeding animals of various descriptions for most of the last 20 years.
    What I describe below is my requirements for the species I am hoping to have a long planned for litter out of for this spring:

I started putting together a waiting list back in June last year.
    I have spoken extensively to each person who was seriously interested and not immediately unsuitable.
    There were a few things that were a definitive "No" e.g under 21 years old, living in short term rental accommodation or in any rental here the landlord wouldn't give written consent to the prospective buyer clearly giving their permission to keep the species and that they understand what their care entails. I'm not interested in selling to people who will not listen to the fact that the species is NOT a house pet or doesnt understand that the term "pet" should be used loosely in the first place.

Each prospective buyer has had to show me photographic proof and dimensions of the enclosure they plan to keep the animal in.
    They have discussed their diet plan with me and we've tweaked it if I feel it's lacking anywhere.
    We have discussed the temperament of the species as a whole as well as the temperament of the adults I'm breeding from.
    We have discussed all of the negative aspects of the species and they have explained to me how they will deal with these negative aspects.

They are signing a contract that requires them to immediately contact me if any of the following arise:
    * The animal is discovered to have any potentially genetic health issues
    * They find themselves having to consider rehoming the animal. I will either take the animal back immediately or assist in finding it a new, suitable and permanent home
    * They would like to breed from the animal. I am essentially selling the babies with endorsements and am going to be extremely selective about any intended breedings. It's taken a lot of work to trace the lineage of my adults and the species has a very small gene pool with few outcrosses ever bred in. I'm looking to prevent further inbreeding and I don't want anyone ruining that effort.

I don't know if any of this is of any real use but I guess what I'm saying is that choosing the new home any animal one brings into the world is of utmost importance.
    You as the breeder made the decision to play god and bring baby animals into the world. You are therefore at least partially responsible for them for the entirety of their lives.

If every breeder of every animal was sensibly selective as to where they home their babies, be they gerbils, goats or giant squid, very, very few animals would wind up in rescue centres.

EDIT: Oh balls, I've just realised that you were not asking as the breeder but as a buyer. Sorry!

6. Veba

Veba PetForums Junior

Still helpful though, thanks!

Katalyst likes this.
  7. Pardis

Pardis PetForums Member

Am not a breeder but maybe this helps:

We just got our first dog from a breeder. Dogs I had before were from shelters, so a different experience. But of course there was vetting with the shelters, too.

Anyway. First questions that the breeder had for us:

- Do we have first hand experience as dog owners? If not, have we done some initial research on the breed and day to day dog care in general

- What do we do for a living? Are we aware of all the costs having a dog entails, eg would we be able and willing to get pet insurance which can be a financial burden. Seems logical but I know there are people who don't think beyond getting a pet and then find they can't provide in case of an emergency... or sometimes even paying for routine stuff like jabs.

- How do we live? Flat? House? Access to a garden? Boughg property or rented as there might be problems with potential landlords. Do we have kids? Other pets already in the home?

- What was our plan for when the puppy comes home? As we both work full time, my SO and I had already agreed on taking off a month of work between the two of us and then arrange for a dog walker + puppy daycare. The breeder should be happy to help you figure out details if you have questions but already having a general plan just shows you have given it thought and are willing to make adjustments :)

Initially we talked via email, then phone. The pups hadn't been born yet so we didn't even know how many there would be in the end and if we would make the cut. Apparently we did as we were invited for a visit after they were born. We had a bit of a chat about our general situation again and then got to see the puppies and also interact with the grown dogs.

I think at that point it was mainly for her to see how we'd react to the pups and how we'd be with the older dogs so she could get a feeling for us. At the end of the visit we talked about health risks in the breed and she asked us to think about everything once more and let her know if we were still interested. It then went from there with more visits and picking out our puppy from the litter.

This is a very long post lol Sorry. Just wanted to share our experience and let you know not to be scared :D Just show that you have thought about it well, have a plan and also don't be scared to ask questions! As mentioned on here before it just shows you are willing to learn and they won't expect you to be a seasoned pro who knows it all.

Veba likes this.
  8. Pardalis

Pardalis PetForums Junior

HI Katalyst,

I’m sure you know this but thought I would post for the benefit of others. The clauses in your contract aren’t legally binding. They may be considered as goodwill clauses but you cannot take any action if they are broken. Perhaps the breeding one if you were able to prove you have lost money or income as a result.

If you would like any more information, please let me know

Regards

#8 Pardalis, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice