Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do you calm a jumpy corn...

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Taz Devil, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Taz Devil

Taz Devil PetForums Member

Over the past few days I have started to handle my corn after changing it's water on an evening, once out of the viv it's fine and will happily slither about, but trying to get a hold of it is another story.

As soon as I touch it it jumps and slithers out of the way, is there a less stress full way to get a hold of it without it wanting to do the 100 meters in 10 seconds.

2. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

I've just had to handle a load of newly hatched corns the last few days so can sympathise lol. I find the best way is to move extremely slowly towards them, when ever the snake looks at my hand or begins to move away I freeze, they then usually calm down and look away again then I get closer until my hand is near its mid body then very very slowly and delicately begin to pick it up. It can take a few goes to get the technique right but I find being calm and very slow usually does the trick and allows me to pick them up without them getting too flighty. I find most of the time they're calmer ones they've been picked up and are slithering from hand to hand. They usually tame within a few weeks of gentle handling.

3. Taz Devil

As soon as my hand comes into contact with it's body, even the slightest pressure, it jumps and then slithers away.

Just noticed in your image gallery that your corns are out and about in the viv. Mine is always hidden away. All you usually see is it's head poking out of it's hiding place. It won't come out of it's hide whilst anyone is there. When put back in the viv from a few minutes of handling it will instantly either bury into the aspen or head for one of it's 2 hides.

#3 Taz Devil, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  4. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

It sounds like it's associated people with bad things, my adult male, Benny, when he was a hatchling was pet shop bought and was resultingly very aggressive, whenever he saw people he would go into a striking position and attack anything that went near him, as an adult he's still shy but I can handle him. It will take some patience with a fearul snake, you could try holding him while your feed him, I do this with my hatchlings so they associate me with good things and actually come to the front of the viv to be picked up lol. you could also try simply holding your hand infront of the snake for a few minutes each day so it will eventually get used to your hand coming in, get used to your scent and learn nothing negative will happen. It's easiest if you approach the snake whilst it's in a hide or somewhere it feels safe then it's less likely to flee. Another thing I used to do with Benny is let him coil up in my sleeve and sleep their for a while, the only problem with this is I did it with my female when she was a hatchling too and she still tries to go in my sleeve despite being 4 and a half feet long! lol

If I've mentioned any of this already I do appologise lol.

5. mousemighty

mousemighty PetForums Member

try and put in some cloth with youre smell , so thing some like a glove a bit of a tee shirt so he/she then asscoiates you with home , handling is a art youll get to grips with but as cats says hanlde him daily but not after feeding him leave 48 hrs , i scoop mine up but do it slowly its appling right preessure when you pick it up, good luck lets in week how things are going

6. Taz Devil

Well it fed last night so looking at Sunday at the latest to handle it again, will need to get it out to give it it's weekly weigh.

7. Taz Devil

I know it's been a while but just and update on things with Sid.

Since my last post I have had HER sexed and Sid is a she.

after following your previous advice and taking time to get close to her has worked out, she's a lot more willing to come to me and for me to lift her up.

She's put on some weight and currently stands at around 83cm and 250g.

#7 Taz Devil, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  8. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

Aww that's grand news! Great to hear it's all worked out! :)

9. Taz Devil

Just got to get her eating again now. She's not eaten since she shed about 7 weeks ago. She seems interested and nudges the mouse around, but then just leaves it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice