Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do they find their way home?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MollyMilo, Aug 27, 2013.

1. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

2. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

I love those stories too :) although I am highly sceptical about the ones where the cat travelled to their owner's new home.

3. Xanthia

Xanthia PetForums Member

They say that cats keep a record of their territory on their paws. Thats how they can follow their scent trails etc and keep away from other cats' territory. So I don't think a cat could find its way to a new house if it hadn't ever been there before. :confused:

4. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

im another sceptic tbh, i can understand cats escaping a new home and going back to the old one but not finding a new one
    maybe the people they left the cats with just plonked them in that area XD

5. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Hmmmm... CatNav? :D

*fetches coat* :eek:

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I read, a long time ago, that is it to do with the position of the sun. They record the positions of the sun at certain times of the day and this is how they navigate their way home. Apparently, this is why they should be kept indoors for approx 4 weeks when you move home - to give them time to re-adjust their sun 'settings'.

This could, of course, be just another old wifie myth but I think there is some logic to it. :)

7. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Travelling 200 miles astounds me but 1500?? :eek: :eek:

8. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Me also.

Plus - they assume that the cats have travelled to get back to 'the person they love'.

My cat would NEVER forgive me for abandoning her (I practically get the cold shoulder treatment if I desert the house to put the bins out), HOWEVER . . . I could definitely see her hunting me down, with murder and revenge in her heart, in order to kill me in my sleep . . . :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. lostbear

You swine! I was going to say that!!!

:cryin:

10. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

The ONLY thing I could say on that one is that Persians are totally one-slave cats and tend to have very good psychic bonds with them. It may well be that it was somehow linking into its slave and used that to get it to them.

I have an amazing bond with Merson but the wee b*gger ALWAYS knows when I am going to give him meds or wash his face and does a runner about 10 seconds before I do it. I have even tested him by thinking it, but knowing I'm not going to, and he just sits and doesn't move. However, when I think it and mean it, he scarpers!!!!! :D

11. lostbear

I think this is believable - after all, it has been shown that birds navigate by the sun (and stars, for night-flyers), so I think it's very plausible. So I can see how they could find their way BACK to somewhere.

How they find there way to a place they've never been before (unless they tortured their new owners into revealing the address and a route map) I don't know. Don't believe it's possible.

#11 lostbear, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  12. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

I think cats are a lot cleverer than we give them credit for. They have skills we don't. I say this, then I have just clocked our blackie trying to fit down the shower plughole again.:eek: The idiot.

13. lostbear

He'll be after that spider again! Hahahahahaha!

14. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

Ill never forget the story someone told me years ago when I was living on Crete in Greece.

A friend of mine, his family had a cat, for some reason (which forgive me as I truly cant remember) decided that they had to get rid of the cat, there were no cat santuarys on Crete back than....Anyway, they took the cat in a car and drove this cat miles and miles away from their home and took it up a mountain to a small village as they thought if they let if free up there the locals would look after it and also there would be lots of mice etc for it to catch. It was better this way than leaving it free in the town where they lived.

Believe it or not, this cat found its way home again. The family could not believe their eyes when he turned up on the doorstep one day. They could not understand how this cat had managed to come down from a mountain and than find its way all the way back to its old home. They didnt take it back they kept it :)

Amazing animals arent they.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice