Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do I tell her. . .?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LinznMilly, Sep 10, 2020.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I've just come off the phone to the vet about Milly's front left leg trembling occasionally. Vet diagnosed mild arthritis, and has given me some pain relief, which I'll pick up this afternoon, along with the advice "3x20min walks per day."

Milly (and Honey), get that in an afternoon - never mind a day! :Wideyed

15997377372291185792171.jpg

Ellie&cats, Teddy-dog and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Sox is doing the same at the moment luckily he’s a lazy lump.

LinznMilly likes this.
  3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Milly will be climbing the walls. :( I'll have to do way more trick training with her.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Did you tell the vet that's much less than her normal regime? Maybe they thought she was a typical little dog who doesn't get walked? I can see reducing her activity until the meds have a chance to catch up, but drastically reducing her activity doesn't seem right either?

Sarah H, LinznMilly and Torin. like this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It’s in the short term for sox. He’s been on lead and reduced exercise for two weeks now and is a lot better. He’s practically dancing down the street. I’m looking at hydro for him.

Ellie&cats and LinznMilly like this.
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I thought he was reduced activity because of the biopsy, didn't realize he had arthritis too? Poor guy!

Bates has a sweet spot between too much and not enough. If he doesn't move enough, he gets stiff. If he moves too much he gets sore LOL. I'm constantly trying to find a balance!

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I think often the very limited exercise is to make sure it's really super obvious when the meds have kicked in. And then you can gradually increase it again with a decent benchmark of what you should be looking for in terms of behaviour/ symptoms. But how restricted you need to go to show that definitely depends on what they're used to.

O2.0 likes this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yes he had x rays whilst under due to leg pain. He was having just 1 20 minute a day it’s now gone up. He normally has more but is a chilled dog and doesn’t seem to mind.

O2.0 and LinznMilly like this.
  9. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

No, and I'm kicking myself because it was the first thought that sprang to mind, too. :Bag It wasn't until I hung up that it occurred to me that the vet hadn't specified on or off leash, either. :Banghead I'll phone them back tomorrow. :Bag

They did say we'll review it in a couple of weeks though, so I'm guessing the arrangement is temporary.

Great minds think alike, so they say. I was thinking exactly the same while taking the girls for a toilet break walk.

Boxer123 and O2.0 like this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Sox hated hydro when we did it years ago so I’ve found one that has a treadmill and is shallow. He does like going in the river so that’s the plan as well.

LinznMilly likes this.
  11. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Update;

The painkiller doesn't seem to have worked. I've given it 12 days, and seen no improvement. Phoned the vet to ask for advice. Receptionist said she'll get the vet to phone me back tomorrow.

Don't know what to make of it, to be honest (not the receptionist's reaction - the tremor). It's not all the time - about once a day, and pretty much always when she's not putting her full weight on it. For example, a couple of days ago I had her in a down stay while I did some training with Honey, and her foot/leg trembled then, but fully weight-bearing, there's no hint of it.

I refuse point blank to Google. :eek:

12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Does she seem to favor it at all? Does it bother her?

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It does not sound as though it is pain. knowing me I would totally ignore it and see what happens.

O2.0 and LinznMilly like this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

are you sure it is not excitement. A lot of dogs hold up a trembly leg when they are feeling a bit overcome. Toffee trembles all over as though she is dying of cold!

O2.0 likes this.
  15. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

No, she doesn't favour it.

That's interesting. I was tempted to wait until the vet fully reopened (atm it's still emergency or urgent cases only), but it started to get to me so I phoned them. They said they'd get the vet to ring within 3-5 days, which would have brought us up to last Thursday, but they phoned just after I got back from a walk with her.

She's not holding it up, at least a part of the foot remains on the ground.

The first time I noticed it, she was sniffing something off to her right (it's her front left leg that's affected). Her toes were still on the ground, pad slightly lifted, so the wrist was bent. During the training exercise, her pad was on the ground and the toes were up.

Blitz likes this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

just taking the weight off is all some dogs do to set off a tremble. Toffee stands with all her weight on all her legs and trembles like mad If Candy trembles and shivers there is something wrong. Your vets are very behind arent they . Mine is sending out vaccination reminders and seeing everything as far as I know. Candy had a routine opthamology appointment a couple of weeks ago too. Not allowed in but apart from that it is normal.

LinznMilly likes this.
  17. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It took quite a while for the pain killers to kick in with Sox and he had 10 days complete rest with his back operation. If it is the arthritis it might take a bit longer. They do like to confuse us don’t they.

Like @Blitz my vets are pretty much back to normal except you can’t go in with them maybe nag.

LinznMilly likes this.
  18. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, they do like to confuse us.

I'm hopeful arthritis is all it is. Maybe I'm being hasty, but then her review is in 2 days, so by the time I talk to the vet, it's only a day early anyway.

We'll see what the vet says tomorrow. :)

Boxer123 likes this.
  19. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Sox had an X-ray to rule other things out.

LinznMilly likes this.
  20. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Timber's rear legs tremble when he is standing still. The vet thoroughly checked him and couldn't find any indication of pain, she thought it might just be a sort of habit.

LinznMilly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice