Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How Do I Teach a Cat??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by hellstorm2004, Jan 27, 2012.

1. hellstorm2004

hellstorm2004 PetForums Junior

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know that how do i teach a cat not to do something. There are certain places in the kitchen i don't want the cat to go... especially coz its dangerous. But don't know how to teach them that. First of all, is it possible to do so?

2. sarelis

sarelis PetForums Senior

Cats can be pretty smart, they tend to learn things that are to their advantage very quickly! To keep them off kitchen worktops etc a spray bottle full of water works well, just give them a squirt when they jump up & after a while they associate the action of jumping up with a spray of water & stop doing it. Apparently double sided tape works well too or kitchen foil, just attach to worktops, this has the added bonus of working while you are not there to squirt them! :)

3. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

It depends on the cat:wink:

I have one that will not learn, he is a law unto himself. He knows he shouldn't do things but does them just the same. Water spray only works briefly with him.

The other one is easy to train, she knows to keep off the worktops and table. Once in a while she gets carried away and will jump up, the word 'off' works, she gets down again, bless her.

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

What is this need to teach/train a cat? If you want obedience get a dog,otherwise sit back and enjoy the ride.it is much more rewarding and so much less stressful ;)You'll never win :rolleyes:

5. porps

porps Swollen Member

you dont. A cat teaches you, so make sure you are paying attention- there may be a test later.

6. swatton42

swatton42 PetForums Senior

Personally I don't like the spray bottles and other 'punishmenty' things. I would rather just give them a short authoritive no and put them down. You can always distract them from doing bad behaviour by rewarding the good behaviour, like when clicker training.

7. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

We had an issue with our ceramic hob and our boy who had no concept of indoor living. Scared as I was of picking him up (feisty is an understatement) I had to grab him before he burned his paws.

I need a water spray sometimes to this day, he has a tendency to walk calmly up and bite me in the leg, in fact I have fresh puncture holes today. He also rushes my foot and will try to kill it. A year or so ago I was in A&E with blood poisoning from several (about 5) bites.

As for the other one, she likes butter but it makes her ill, in cold weather we need to leave it out of the fridge to soften before use (real butter, not spread).If she doesn't jump up, she won't find it. She has a sensitive digestive system so nothing is left where she can get at it but, just in case we forget.

In this house they are free to jump up anywhere, except where they aren't safe. And preferably not at my head, which has also happened.

8. ebonymagic

ebonymagic PetForums Senior

You iz havink a laff:D

The only way I've found, to keep my kitten out of anywhere is to shut the door.

You could probably stop it from going places when you are there, but when you aren't how will you stop kitty from doing it.

The only other thing I can suggest is to put something in the way, other than that if you find a solution let me know.:D

9. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

You can only teach a cat to do something it wants to do anyway. :smile5:

10. notsure

notsure PetForums Senior

My cats have learnt that they are not allowed on the worktops - I know this because every time they do jump up they give me a look as if to say "And?".

I just take them off, say down, and we keep the kitchen door closed and the cats out when we're not in there - only way to keep them out for sure.

11. hellstorm2004

hellstorm2004 PetForums Junior

I would try the water spray thing and see if it helps. My problem is that my kitchen is connected to the living room and does not come with a door. I have to close them in one room for that and that would restrict them in a small place, I don't want that too! :)

I have two other questions...
    1. For how long do you call a cat... a kitten? :001_tongue:
    2. How do get those signatures with the cats age timelines? :)

12. Ian B

Ian B PetForums VIP

I called the fabulous and still much missed Beckett a kitten till he was around a year old, even shouting "kitten" at the door for him to come home, mainly because I didn't want him to grow up and become less playful. I needn't have worried as he stayed the same, but sadly he was only with me another 6 months.

Ian

13. Puindoors

Puindoors PetForums Member

I think my cats have learn't the're not allowed on the work surfaces in the day time, but its fine at night when all the 2 legs are asleep. Clever cats!
    I know this because they don't jump up when I'm around (the're always put back on the floor as youngster + they soon get fed up with the effort) but if I leave anything out, there are nibble marks.

I just wipe the surfaces down with disinfectant every morning, and make sure edibles are put away........but I'm not the only 'two leg' in the house so sometimes counter surfing at night yields a tasty reward!

14. Puindoors

Puindoors PetForums Member

The GCCF defines a kittens as under 9 months, but aparently they grow up quicker in the TICA world as the're adults at 8 months for them.

Personally I think it depends on the breed, physically my breed 'birman' don't reach full physical maturity till 2 or 3 years old, others like maine coons and siberians can be longer. Moggies and oriental breeds seem to do most things faster than the posh fluffs!

15. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I've taught Ari to not do something by saying 'no-no'.

I say it in the same voice I usually say nice things to her. So, when I caught her doing something wrong, I call her until she looks at me, then I say softly 'no-no'. If she ignores, I call her again and repeat 'no-no'. Sometimes she complains a bit (like when she's on the table). Then I tell her to go down and repeat the word, and when she does I praise her. If she's doing something that is dangerous (like playing around cables), I do the same, call her until she looks at me, say 'no-no' and add that it will hurt her. When she stops, I praise her. I don't know if it makes a difference that we use phonetically simple words for that. We use Italian words and words that my niece used when she was a baby.

It doesn't stop her to do that when I'm not looking, but she certainly knows that what she's doing is wrong.

PS1: I wouldn't use the water spray. Someone said that it makes the cat very jumpy. I don't need Ari to be any jumpier!! But in the middle of the night she plays with the bedroom blinds and attacks the flower pot. 'No-no' doesn't work there. Specially because what she really wants is to wake me up. I keep a water bottle close but I never used it because she runs when I pick it.
    PS2: to make the ticker, you have to go to www.pitapata.com. After you add the code to the signature.

#15 TatiLie, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  16. missP

missP PetForums Senior

i can get cheeky to jump down by pointing to the floor and saying 'down'. that took a lot of lifting him down for him to realise what i wanted him to do.
    it doesn't work everytime,( sometimes he'll just turn his back on me and lie on the worktop anyway. :)
    i dont know that you will ever get your cat to stop going up in the first place as they are climbers and like to do what they want :D

17. hayleyj08

hayleyj08 PetForums Junior

I swear mine actually answer me back when I tell them to get down! Jerry was on the worktop so I told him 'down...' no reply, a gentle push on the bottom did the trick but im sure his meow was 'and the second word's off!' cheeky things!

18. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

I found with Sam that just putting him down and saying "down" worked. He even learnt that he was allowed on certain parts on the worktop but not others (near the hob) and he's relearnt it in every house we've lived in. Milly's too lazy to jump on worktops, so there's no problem there. As for Eva .... the biggest problem is that my OH lets her do whatever she likes and says I'm being mean every time I tell her not to do something, so I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

Some cats are easier to "train" than others. As far as Sam's concerned, anything that flies, from a mosquito upwards, is a toy, but he's learnt to ignore bees and wasps. I think when he was younger, he recognised the difference in my tone between exasperation when he ate another fly and fear when he was about to swallow a wasp. He's even let a bee land on his foot, and just sat and looked at it.

19. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

I have kind of taught my 2 to not go on my kitchen worktops, table or coffee table..

The kitchen windowsill however is a completely different ball game, theyre obsessed!!!

Sometimes I think they do these things to annoy us, I just had to intercept the cat trying to go for a wee on the doormat, took her to the litter kwitter where she proceeded to go for both and then kick the litter everywhere. If this isnt bad enough after coming out and getting lots of strokes for being a good girl she went back just to kick the litter everywhere.

Back to normal litter tray with high sides when Natures Gold arrives and I literally can.not.wait!!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice