Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do I stop him begging?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by woodwitch, Jun 23, 2010.

1. woodwitch

woodwitch PetForums Member

Actually, begging is far too civilised a word for what Ozzy does when there is food around. It ranges from "demanding" to "trying to take by force".

He goes mental whenever you open the fridge, yipping and howling and jumping, and forget trying to eat a meal on your lap - he will forcibly try to jump up and snatch food.

We have never fed him from our plates, or given him any "people food" at all, he eats after us and we always make him sit before he is fed, but the way he acts you'd think he was starving to death.

We've tried Victoria Stilwell's technique seen on "It's Me Or the Dog" whereby we stand up and walk towards him, forcing him backwards and saying a firm "Back!" at the same time, but he just tends to either bite our knees or jump up at us. Then as soon as we sit down he tries to leap up again. We end up spending most of our mealtimes standing up. If we shut him out of the room when we're eating he shouts the place down and scratches at the door ferociously. It's driving us mad!

How can I teach my nearly 11 week old puppy some table manners?

2. Merry Dogs

Merry Dogs PetForums Member

I am not a dog trainer but I personally don't think you need to feed him after you have eaten. I think it is making things worse for you all.

I was advised to do this with my dog when he was a pup and it also led to very stressful mealtimes for us too, so I soon dropped it.

He won't become a bad or difficult dog just because you feed him first, and if he is hungry when you sit and eat your meal it is leading him to behave in ways you don't want him to, and not helping at all.

So, I would say feed him before you eat, or at the same time. If you feed him first, maybe give him a chew (if he is allowed them) while you eat.

Whatever you try, you won't get instant results of course and will need to just keep trying. The other behaviour - biting knees and jumping up - sounds very normal for a pup of that age, and you could try to discourage by turning away from him, not looking at him or speaking to him, when he does it. But he won't suddenly stop doing it, and if he does stop doing that he might even move onto something else to get your attention. Such is puppyhood!

3. woodwitch

We did try feeding him at the same time as us in the hope it would distract him while we ate, but he guzzled the lot in 10 seconds flat then ran in to see if he could help us with ours!

I'm used to dogs doing the "stare" while you're eating as I've had dogs since I was a kid but Ozzy is so full on about it! I'm sure he'll grow out of it, and he is only a puppy. Patience is obviously the key here! Thanks for your advice,

4. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Think what would you prefer him to do? You can't teach the absence of behaviour - you have teach him something else :)

Let's say you want him to lie on his mat or in his crate so teach that. First without the distraction of others eating and then as he gets better you can up the distraction.

Management is the first stage in dealing with any behaviour issue - stop him practicing this behaviour cos practice makes perfect :D

This is a basic manners issue so get working on that plus he's only a baby so stricke while the iron is hot and get training puppy manners.
    Here are a couple of handouts that might help:
    http://petcentral.yolasite.com/resources/Puppy Manners.doc
    http://petcentral.yolasite.com/resources/Preventing Puppy Problems.doc

babycham2002 likes this.
  5. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

we do feed the dogs just before we eat , but some times brewster is really hungry and finishes off the food with in 20 seconds . so what I do lately , I give him a bit an hour before we eat and then we top up the dish just before we eat. In this way he wont finish the food as fast.
    He still has the odd begging time but firm and with alot of patience we teach him to back off when is told to do so .Ok we need to repeat the command couple times but he gets the message .

6. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Mine sits and stares and dribbles - it's gross.
    He gets put in his bed now whenever I eat...

7. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hi we feed Bobby just before us then he wanders into his crate lays down while we eat :)

8. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

We have never had this problem so not sure really what to suggest but have you tried giving him a stuffed kong when you sit down to eat? Maybe that would distract him long enough to let you eat in peace.

I think if it was me and the kong didn't work i would shut him away and let him create, he will soon learn that creating doesn't get him anywhere and soon be quiet (as long as he gets no reaction at all from you while he is noisy and you only let him back out when he quietens down)

Have you started walking him yet? Maybe you could walk him before your meal so he is tired and rests?

9. woodwitch

We can't walk him for another week as he only had his second lot of jabs today, but that's definately something I'll do next week.

Been thinking about getting him a kong as I'm sure he'd like that - recently gave him a plastic bottle with some treats inside and that kept him occupied for ages!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I'm going to try training him to lie elsewhere while we're eating, think it's going to be a case of one of us eating at a time while the other distracts him with treats.

Honestly though - anyone would think we were starving him to death to see the way he acts!!

10. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

There's a very simple way of stopping your dog from begging. Take the tin off him! ;)

11. Tollisty

Tollisty PetForums VIP

Try teaching 'leave' . All my puppies ahve been taught leave at 8 weeks old, it's a very useful thing for a puppy to learn! I can put a plate of food on the floor and none of the dogs will touch it until I say "OK" then they all dive in :lol: They do get left overs from our plates, but they have to 'do' something for it, leave, sit, down, etc.

Is he actually hungry? does he need more food?

12. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Hahaha! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I cant imagine a puppy ever behaving that badly. I would not tolerate even a fraction of that behaviour. Sounds like it is walking all over you and has no idea of any boundaries in its life.

14. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Harvey started doing this a few weeks back. I spent a few very interupted meal time picking my plate up and putting it down, as I will not tolerate begging. Even the Cat knows not to look while we are eating. :eek:

I just kept putting him on "his" sofa, then click and treat. He has the idea now, plates come out Harvey goes to his sofa. What ever you chose, just be really consistant. He will get the idea. :)

15. woodwitch

We're not exactly tolerating it, and this is our first puppy, hence the need for advice. I can handle constructive criticism, but this is a little heavy on the "criticism" and light on the "constructive"! Be gentle with me, I am trying!

16. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Shorty will sit or lie down close to you but stares at your food and drools everywhere - she could put a st bernard to shame with the drool :lol:

We have a babygate and when she got too close or tried to take anything off the table we put her in the kitchen and she soon realised if she left things alone then she got to stay in the room, took about a week :) x

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Apologies. But I am just thinking that if pup is getting off with that - which would have taken a little while to build up that badly, then he is going to get off with a lot more. I wonder if a behaviourist could help you handle him right so that you have a nice well adjusted member of the family.
    An experienced dog owner would probably have spotted the initial signs and the pup would never get to that stage. You will get there but help is needed and it needs to be someone that is watching you interact with the pup so they can see where you are going wrong.
    Is that better, I was in a hurry this morning!

18. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

you've obviously never had a malamute or mally cross hun, they are food obsessed and will do anything they can to get hold of it, you just need to be firm and keep on top of it x

19. woodwitch

Ok, maybe I was being a bit sensitive, but it's like having kids - everyone gets a bit defensive when their parenting is under question!

No harm done x

20. FRAZ

FRAZ PetForums Member

Sorry to ask the old question, but what are you feeding your dog. Some dog foods do not provide suitable dietary needs for a puppy/growing dog, thus leaving them hungry, leading to begging. Simply put, human on salad only diet, sees someone eating nice steak...... I would also feed your dog before you eat. Tiring out your dog will also help, play fun etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice