Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do i start Weaning?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Jessies mummy, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Jessies mummy

Jessies mummy PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, ive not posted for a while and I would like some advice.

Jess's 5 gorgeous kittens are 3wks 3days now and I know soon we will have to begin weaning. Jess is on fresh boiled chicken and purina pro kitten 3-4 times a day and as much as she wants, as she was very poorly after a "treat" of cat milk (deffo never again!!!). Because her tummy has now settled she can now be given more of the dry food and this is what I would dearly like the kittens to have as she is so well on it.

So how do I start? I really have no idea apart from someone mentioned to me about moistening it when they first start. At the moment they are still in the Moses basket by my bed and keep looking over the top so wont be long till they are out and on the move so I would like to be prepared. They and Mumma cat are confined to my bedroom at the moment with plenty of room, litter tray, cleaning bedding every day etc.

Also what about litter training or will they just copy Jessie? I know about a non clumping litter because of nosy kittens but shall I just put a lower lipped tray out with litter in for them as jess's is too high to get into for them.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks, Kaye,Jess and babies :)

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I really WOULDN'T start kittens off on dry - it swells in their stomachs and often makes them sick. And don't moisten dry - very bad - lots of bacterial growth etc.

Using the purina wet (if that is what it is) and mix a bit of water with it and put it on a shallow dish and introduce them to it at about 4 weeks. Dip a finger in the gloop and rub it on their noses and paws for them to clean off. Scrambled egg made with water is also a very good first weaning food.

Once they are eating well then, if you really must, introduce small quantities of dry, that they can't gorge on. Offer a mixture of food all the time. Raw is brilliant food to start cats off on.

Extra litter trays, with low sides, they should just follow mum but it doesn't hurt to show them the trays and get their paws a digging in it.

3. Jessies mummy

Jessies mummy PetForums Newbie

Thanks for replying spid.

The purina is very small dry biscuit form, so I will have to look into the kitten wet food and the low lipped trays thankyou for your advice :)

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Again Purina isn't a brilliant food - go for JWB (it's in the same price bracket and better)

5. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Id defo give raw a thought its really really good to start kittens off on,my kittens will eat raw from 3 weeks old.

6. Supasilvfoxy

Supasilvfoxy PetForums VIP

Always this - mince it and just a teaspoon at a time to begin with. They soon get the hang of it, raw is just what mum would give them if she was doing the weaning herself and eating raw meat. Don't leave it lying about though it soon spoils unlike dry, though I would never wean a kitten onto dry anyway.

Good luck!

#6 Supasilvfoxy, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  7. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

I agree,mine comes minced already mind.:)

8. lisaslovelys

lisaslovelys PetForums VIP

You say raw meat ? what kind of meat ? and would Bella take to raw meat after all this time ? she is 17 months old ..

9. spid

spid PetForums VIP

10. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Do let me know how you get on with that, Spid.

11. lisaslovelys

lisaslovelys PetForums VIP

What about the bones in the chicks and mice (we have live field mice in the house Bella is always catching them but wont eat them) or are they too soft to make a difference ? And minced beef minced steak etc is ok I presume, what about fish and chicken ? Isnt raw chicken tocix to animals or just humans ? I have tons of steak and mince so can I try Bella on it as soon as she has had the kittens ??

12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Mine start on chicken wings, each one cut into three or four pieces. They don't touch the bones at the start, just chew on the meat. They do this out of choice. I'd happily give them moistened mince and there's other food available but it's real chunks of meat they seem to recognise as food at the start.

13. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I don't do anything with mine, around 3 weeks they toddle over to mums plate (of raw) and just start eating.
    I give chicken wing tips from 6 weeks and they have no problem chewing the bones.

14. lynnenagle

lynnenagle PetForums Senior

I gave my kittens raw and kitten wet food. I moved the dry out their way as i didn't want them eating it.
    I just started bringing them over to mums food at around 4 weeks and they all started eating when they were ready.
    I have a very deep litter tray and mum wouldn't go into any other one so i built my kittens steps using plastic boxes to get in and out. They all managed fine and mum litter trained them

15. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

My experience is that kittens wean themselves when they are ready, onto whatever their mum is eating. It can be messy as they often start by swimming in it and then cleaning themselves.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice