Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how do I remove computer virus?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kelly-joy, Apr 1, 2011.

1. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

My computer has a virus called xp internet security 2011 I did a scan on spybot search and destroy and it picked up the virus and I thought I had fixed it but it still on the bottom of the screen and it still keeps popping up wanting me to download it. I have googled it and there are many sites that say they can get rid of it but not sure which ones to trust or not. Has anyone else been infected with this virus? if so how did you get rid of it? any help would be much appreciated:)

2. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

what version of windows are you on?

3. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

can you not just delete it? i'm sure classixuk or another comp savvy person will be on soon...

4. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

we had a problem with one of the kids on our pc downloaded some stupid crap and had a virus, you may need to scan it a few times before it will actually get rid of it hun.

Put your pc on safemode and then scan it that usally works as well. :D

5. Stephen&Dogs

Stephen&Dogs PetForums VIP

What operating system are you on and what anti-virus have you, Have you downloaded any anti-malware?

6. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

Don't have a clue, my other half usually sorts this stuff but he is out. One of my kids downloaded something they shouldn't and now it won't go. I am doing an AVG scan on it now as well.

does anyone know if any of these sites that are supposed to remove it are safe?

XP Internet Security 2011 (XPInternetSecurity2011) Virus Removal Guide | Virus Removal Guru
    Remove XP Internet Security 2011 , removal instructions
    Computer virus, spyware and malware removal
    Steps To Remove XP Internet Security 2011 – How To Remove XP Internet Security 2011 The Easy Way | OpenSec
    Free Articles Directory | Submit Articles - ArticlesBase.com
    Dedicated 2-viruses
    How-To Geek - Computer Help from your Friendly How-To Geek

7. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

Not sure on the operating system,we have AVG anti virus and I haven't downloaded anything today but my kids have that is why there is a virus on my computer.:(

8. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

9. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

tried that when it gets to the bit were your supposed to copy where it says target I don't get anything that says target:blink:

10. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i'd turn the computer off until OH gets home.

and stop kids downloading software etc without permission first (once OH has checked what it is where it's from etc), or get them their own computer/laptop if you can so if they **** it up it's nothing important!
    realise this might not be an option cost wise but worth considering. (or get youself a nice laptop and give the kids the old computer ;))

get OH to check your security programme is up to date and see if there's a new version of it

or replace it there are plenty of good free ones dotting around. i used to use panda.. but have a mac now, can't mind what i use on that.

you should also back up your comp (and all files like pics) regularly, so that if it happens again and is catastrophic you can rebuild the comp and not lose anything.

good luck, hope it's nothing majorly annoying.

11. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

they do have their own lap top but I guess today mummies computer was far more interesting:rolleyes:

I can't really switch it off as I am dealing with a few urgent rescue cases so need it on really

12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Have you tried giving it a, paracetamol and a warm drink. :D

13. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

That has really tickled me, im sat here laughing my head off, my husband thinks ive gone mad!! :D:D

14. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

I had a similar thing happen to me a while ago. you could try this. click start, click on run, type regedit. find local user, scroll down see if you can see virus name. right click on it an delete. restart computer. that should do the trick (hopefuly)

15. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

We got rid of ours by doing a system restore to a week or so earlier when we didn't have it , try that

Julie x

16. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

smacked arse for kids then. and naughty step for you for letting them on ;)

17. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

ok off to the naughty step, when can I come back:lol::lol:

18. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

when the comps fixed ;)

i would warn nefarious children that to use your computer will bring yakuza style retribution.. each use will result in the loss of a finger... once you've finished with the fingers you'll start on toes... as we all know children are resiliant little buggers... abit like cockroaches.. they'll eventually learn to type with their toes and hence they need to be taken into consideration when threatening loss of fingers or the threat won't treated with respect.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice