Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do I relax?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kayz, Aug 6, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I have my 2nd driving lesson at 2.

I was so so scared last week and I even started crying when he said about driving on the main roads.:(

I have got to be passed by May next year at the latest as we are going away in July and I need to be able to drive.

My instructor says I will probably be passed in 5-6 months and he seems even after just 2 hours, to have great confidence in me but I don't have any in myself when it comes to driving.:(

Help!!

2. rona

rona Guest

I didn't learn to drive until i was 26, I really didn't want to, but like you I had a reason to learn, just concentrate on that reason, it helps to make you more determined.
    Best of luck :)

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Beer or pot :)

You could try rescue remedy, and i think valerian is meant to be good.

4. rona

rona Guest

I think beer and pot are illegal when driving :001_tt2:

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

:eek:

Ive been lied to my entire life. Probably a good thing that i cant drive then :D

6. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

LOL, That wouldn't be good.

I might look into that rescue remedy. I am starting to feel panicky.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think you can get an alcohol free one now.

Its really very good.

8. animallover111

Good luck......you will be fine.....you did really well with your last lesson...just think positive...and dont panick.....:)

9. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thanks. I really just need to try and stop worrying. I will be driving by May, maybe if I keep thinking that I will get there.

10. animallover111

after you have got in the car and started driving you will be fine.....and just think you will of passed your test in no time......:)

11. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

You'll be ok, I know its hard to not worry but the instructor will put you at ease, if I can pass my test anyone can , when I had my first lesson we were going along the road and the instructor said "well" I said well what, errrr when are you going to get in to second gear, I said I dont know how to lol.

12. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

I think it does get easier as your lessons go on, I am due to book my test soon though and keep putting it off as I know I am going to be a nervous wreck! Good luck and keep up with it, you will actually enjoy driving on the busier roads eventually! :)

13. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone.

Amylou, good luck for when you book your test.

14. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Honey i'm like you i have 0 confidence. i failed my test 3 times last year and decided to pack it all in because i lost confidence and it didn't seem like i was going to get anywhere. 6 months later i have decided to try again, and i hope it won't all be for nothing as i do need a car so i had better pass by next year otherwise i am chucking my provisional in the bin!

15. Schnauzercutz

Schnauzercutz PetForums Newbie

Dont worry about it so much. It only makes it worse and its no help at all.
    It took me 2 goes to pass my test, and I still hate reversing !!!! but the more I worry about doing it the more I get it wrong lol.
    Focus on what you are doing and you will be fine

Good Luck :)
    Helen

16. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

the easiest way to relax is to drive MORE even if it is just in a car park late at night, get used to changing gears, going round corners, practice your parking, get used to figuring out your cars dimensions. Just basically get USED to driving. If you have a car and someone who's old enough (or driven long enough, over 21 and 3 years driving exp, i think the rules is CHECK THIS FIRST it might have changed since i learned to drive over 10 years ago) who will let you play with their car in a car park or on non-busy roads. The more cars you get to play in the more your confidence will go up also as you will be able to adjust yourself to different cars and not feel panicked.

if you can afford it have 2 hour driving lessons always, 1 hour is useless for you to get the feel of any new manouver etc. The more you drive the easier and less panicked you will feel as the moves become second nature. Always have at least 2 driving lessons at night and if you can (not hard in britain) have one in really **** weather and one in rush hour (do these last 2 just before your test don't do it early on as you will panic like f!).

Once you have passed, get your driving instructor to give you one last lesson in YOUR car, on a major road (dual carriage way and/or motorway) so that you have experience of getting on and off and more than one lane driving and driving at 70. You need to know how to do this safely and properly so you may as well pay that last £15 odd quid for a proper lesson on how to drive like a normal person and not a newbie.

Read the highway code at least once a year.. they change it that often.. also it helps you remember stuff, also if you don't understand something in it, ASK. There is no shame in not understanding something that you read when it's talking about something practical, get someone to show you physcially what the particular section is going on about.

Also GET P PLATES once you've passed!! There is nothing worse than being new at driving and still being quite rubbish (lack of experience rather than being truly crap) and no-one knowing why your are going so slowly or hestitating at a junction and getting irate and upsetting you. If you have p plates they will, more often than not, give you some leaway and not get so impatient with you.

17. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thanks owieprone. I have 2 hour lessons as that is all my instructor does. I think they are great because I get more driving done. I also go out with mum a couple of times a week.

He has suggested using Kalms as this can really help. He said I am a good driver but my nerves are holding me back.

Also I drove on the main road at 40mph!! I feel so good and can't wait to go out again.

18. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

tbh i WOULDN'T advocate any drugs that 'calm' you.. as they may also inhibit your reflexes or have other unwanted side effects, especially when driving, you want to be fully awake and aware of everything 'calm' is NOT always best.

Try and figure out why you're so het up while driving.. is it because your worried about holding people up.. making a silly mistake (like stalling).. the responsibility of driving and the traffic around you?

Practice your driving skills when walking or a passenger in the car (hazard awareness, recognising signs, taking note of lanes at round abouts and junction flow.. when walking practice looking over your shoulder before stopping and turning/changing direction.. sounds stupid but at the very least it becomes second nature.. at best it stops you getting in folks way and stopping abruptly.. not saying you do this but it all helps if you practice).

when you're a passenger in a car take note of timings at junctions (you will be slower off the mark, usually, than the person you are with but you will quickly pick up how much time you have to get out and get up to speed in certain speed limits.

it's all about getting practice in so that everyday things that you do while walking about (when you're crossing a busy road with no ped-crossing for example, you judge distance, speed and the time you know you take to walk across the road.. it's the same princple when driving, just quicker, hopefully! lol) become second nature when your driving.

woohoo 40! yay! love the speed!! don't be scared of it.. it's what makes driving worthwhile l .. imho anyway ;) lmao :smilewinkgrin:
    Keep at it, honestly the more you drive with your mum (on top of lessons) helps a load with your confidence and should quicken up your reflexes and make more of the movements second nature so you don't have to THINK about what your doing and enjoy the drive :D

19. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I actually have no idea what is scaring me. That is the problem, I just don't know what I am so worried about. I think if I knew what I was so worried about then I think I could deal with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice