Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do I keep my other cats out of Birthing Box?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Tishtash451, May 3, 2011.

1. Tishtash451

Tishtash451 PetForums Junior

Can anyone help with some advice!! I have set up a couple of birthing boxes in some nice quiet places around the house ready for my little girl's big day. She has been sleeping in one in particular which is under my bed,which i'm hoping she will used as her birthing box, but I also keep finding my other 2 cats lying in this box. I keep removing them from the box, but now and again they keep returning to it. I'm worried that when the time comes she won't be able to use the box. Should I make up another couple of birthing boxes? Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice is greatly appretaited!! :confused:

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen PetForums Member

I've never had a cat give birth in the birthing box.;) In the bed or in the sofa seems to be the place to give birth. When I see that things start to happen I just bring the bottom part of a large carrier, put a blanket in it and put the girl in it.

When everything is finished I place the mother and her kittens in the original birthing box and they stay there. Sometimes they get company from grandmother cat, but that's not a problem. She helps keeping the kittens warm and clean.

If your cat seems distressed by the other cats using her box, make a few others but when the time comes... she'll probably pick her own spot and they can choose the weirdest places.

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I keep them all seperate and sleep with mum in the lounge and she knows her birthing box, no other cats is allowed in it and they know that as they get told off lol :p

So Id keeo them seperate and sleep with her in one room just you to so not to stress her, mine like a nice cosy covered birthing box with lots of digging to prepare :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice