Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do I introduce my dog to an 8 week old kitten?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Fairy, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Fairy

Fairy PetForums Newbie

What's the best way the best way to do it? I'm gettin my kitten next week (Ive never had a cat) and when I introduced my dog (1 year old cairn/chihuahua cross) to the new puppy, the tortured him, chasing him and barking at him, pinning him down etc. The kitten will be abit too fragile for that!

2. Hi and welcome to the forum!
    I am a little confused by you post as to exactly how many dogs you are going to be introducing your kitten to! I am assuming that there are two dogs as you say that ‘the dog tortured your puyy when introducing him’
    So I am going to assume that you are going to be indroducing the kitten to more then one dog! Which is going to be harder! Reason being obvious as if one of the dogs starts to chase the kitten there is a very good chance that the other(s) will join in.
    It is vitally important that the dogs are NEVER ever left alone with the kitten under any circumstances, and also that when introduction begins (with dogs tethered ) that the kitten must always have a clear escape route where the dogs cannot follow!
    Regards
    DT

3. Fairy

Fairy PetForums Newbie

Hi, it's only the one dog, my sister ended up wanting her puppy back after 2 days, her landlord said she could have it after all! Thanks for the advice!

4. iceman

iceman PetForums Junior

hey there, ihave 10 cats & 5 dogs & have never had a problem bringing a kitten in the house. what i do is take the kitten into the house & keep hold of it. then i bring in the dogs 1 by 1 to let them have a sniff & say hello. the one thing you must not do is give more attention to the kitten then the dog, give them both the same treatment & there should be no problems.
    goos luck

5. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I found investing in a child saftey gate invaluable. At that age the kitten was able to walk through the gate and the dogs not.

So they kitten could gain access to the dog but not the other way round.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice