Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do i introduce a new 16 week old kitten to my 18week old kitten?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Apollo1, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Apollo1

Apollo1 PetForums Member

Hi there!
    ive had my 18 week old BSH boy now just over a month, ive been thinking all along i should have got 2, so ive thought it best to get one for him, ive really lucked out and found a 16 week BSH girl which im getting at the end of the week from a different breeder! how should i go about introducing them, im really nervous this could all go pear shape and cause unwanted stress for both kittens. has anyone had any problems with this or can you advise me how to approach their first meet!

Kind regards!

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

As you haven't had your kitty very long you shouldnt have a problem as he is only just finding his feet too! Also they are around the same age and BSH are usually very laid back :)

Would love to see some pics when you get her :)

3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I did exactly the same as you. Don't worry they should be fine.
    within 3 days mine were sleeping together and they are the best of friends.
    That was fifteen years ago.
    2 months ago we adopted Harley who's also a bsh and he's only one year old!
    He also has fitted in very well with the other two.
    When you bring your new kitten into the home just keep watch on them and maybe play a game with them that they both can join in.
    I am sure you will have lots of fun.:D:
    Let us know how you get on.

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Normally at this age all they want to do is play your probably find there be the best of friends very quickly. AS there still young and crave the comfort of other cats.

5. Apollo1

Apollo1 PetForums Member

Thanks guys this is reassuring! how do you feel about them sharing the same litter tray!! or do i need to get another one?

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I think it's best to have a litter tray each.
    Medium size are best as the british are quite big.
    Also one of mine tends to sit with her bum over the edge and piddles on the floor.:( Bless!! so try and get one with a plastic lip around the edge, i got mine from pets at home.

Will you be letting them out when they are use to your house and garden or are you keeping them as indoor cats.
    My BSH cats go out in the garden in the day but at night they are kept indoors till i wake!

7. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww cant wait to see pictures of her, as said above im sure they will get on great ,my Dizzy had been here afew months before i got Smokey, but they get on brilliant, so i am sure it will be fine,:)

8. MarieAnn

MarieAnn PetForums Newbie

I can imagine what fun you'll have with these two little ones! I've never yet had two kittens together. We've had a few false alarms over my missing Lucy but still no joy. I'm still heartbroken. People ask 'will you have another cat'? I can't help myself one day again I'll sure we will - I just love kittens and cats and my home wouldn't be the same without one or two. :)

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I would definately suggest 2 kittens, theres nothing quite like watching them play & sleep together! I know my home wouldnt be the same without my 2. :)

10. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

Just stick them together, they'll be fine I should think.

11. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I agree - you might perhaps get a bit of ritual hissing but it won't last long. They will share a tray too I'm sure.

Liz

12. Apollo1

Apollo1 PetForums Member

2 months in and apart from a little hissing they are getting on great! thanks guys!

13. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Your kitties are lovely! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice