Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how do i get my kitten to get used to a transporter

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by karamelkittykat, May 7, 2010.

1. karamelkittykat

karamelkittykat PetForums Junior

hi guys, i just bought this cat transporter for my kitten,we are going to be travelling to asia in june, the thing is thay when i put her in the transporter n close it,she starts screaming, i tried to put food in it but she refused to eat n kept meowin..how do i get her to get used to a 12 hrs flight??help :(:(:(:(:(

2. Tje

Tje Banned

how she’s getting on now with eating? I mean after your post last week stating that she was a bundle of bones and only eating a single pouch of whiskas per day (which really is nowhere near enough). Has that situation improved any?

3. karamelkittykat

her eating is still not good, i always leave her a bowl of dry food and try to feed her wet food 3x a day..im feeding her whiskas..could it be that possibly she doesnt like the food im giving her? its like her appetite just went down the drain..but if im eating buns or cheese she would jump all over me and eat the things i was eating as if i never feed her or something lol a friend reccomended royal canin but its too expensive and im still a student...

4. Tje

Tje Banned

On the other thread you made about making your cat fatter… BillyBoy’sMammy asked questions about the kitten.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/100125-how-do-i-make-my-kitten-fatter.html

You failed to answer these questions.

Without having (detailed) answers to those questions, it’s impossible to help. There was also some confusion about her age, was she 8 weeks old or 11 weeks old at the time you posted. You also failed to answer that point.

There’s plenty of us here on the forum who can try our best to help you, but we can only do that if and when you provide us with enough information to enable us to help.

Right now all we know is your kitten is allowed to free-feed on dry food and three times a day gets whiskas pouches. We know nothing about what dry food she is getting and more crucially, we know nothing about the amounts she is eating.

We need to know the amount of dry food she is consuming in a 24 hour period. If you put her bowl of biscuits down, measure (by weighing) how much you give her. Say you put 70 grams in her bowl…. Weight it later on in the day to see how much she has actually eaten. Do that a few times over a 24 hour period (and note down the results) to get her daily intake to know if she is eating 10 grams or 60 grams of the biscuits in a 24 hr period. There is a big difference in these amounts. We also must know which dry food she is being given. Some are high in protein and some are low in protein, she’d need to be eating a lot more of the low protein food.

Whiskas is a pretty rubbish wet food, it has no “goodness” in it. Whiskas only has a 4% meat content. Something like Bozita is roughly the same price as Whiskas but has a 93% meat content, again though, the price is pretty similar – just more bang for your buck. Like the dry food, we also have to know how much of the wet food she is eating in a 24 hr period. Saying she eats 3 times a day is not really that helpful, we have to know (for example) she eats 20grams of whiskas pouches 3 times a day and free feeding from dry she ate 20 grams of felix biscuits. That way we know she is eating 60 grams of whiskas pouches and 20 grams of low-protein content dry food in a 24 hr period. That way we can help.

We also need to know her exact weight and her exact age (or, assuming she was 5 weeks when you got her, how many weeks exactly you’ve had her). Guess work won’t do, there is a big difference in what a 9 week old kitten should weigh compared to a 12 week old kitten). Answers to all the other questions BillyBoy’sMammy asked in the other thread will also be necessary if you want a fairly thorough and detailed reply that will enable you to help your kitten.

I don’t mean to sound nasty about this, but you need to start taking this kitten’s lack of appetite seriously. She needs to eat. If she doesn’t she will die or develop serious health issues. It really doesn’t bother me one way or the other, but I do get fed up of seeing myself and other forum members continually try to help, spending our time answering your queries, but not even receiving answers to the most basic of questions. So… if you want help, fine, plenty of us will attempt to give it, but will you please do your part by providing us with the information we have repeatedly asked for.

best of luck with your kitten, she really sounds like she’ll need it.

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

tje i couldnt agree more.

Karamel its really really important for your cat to eat enough. Without enough food going in even just a little deficit can lead to fatal health complications.

For anyone to help you properly and thoroughly we need more details, i didnt ask the questions to have a go at you or to pick fault. I (and many others) are just trying to help, we cant do that without info.

Sure we could all spout out generic info, but you could get that yourself by googling. If you really want the help your asking for you need to be more open about your kitten. I'm not asking for your name address and credit card number lol.

As for the cat transporter.... when you have her eating properly and she has a healthy appetite then start putting her food bowl inside. She will begin to associate it with good things rather than bad. xxx

6. karamelkittykat

her weight is around 1.5kg, shes 12 weeks old now. she uses the tray often, no problems with urinating or defecating, the breeder told me strictly not to change the food cuz shes been feeding all her cats whiskas and if i changed it the cat would get sick or something like that. the dry food that im feeding her is purina dry food for juniors. i tried searching for bozita i couldnt find it :(
    so shes having like 1 pouch of whiskas wet food, and about 70g of dry food daily( i mean the dry food is always available next to her bowl of water) i tried to feed her milk but she doesnt like it..i asked the breeder and she told me to feed her cream and egg yolk. i feed her vitamin A&E (reccomended by the vet), shes vaccinated and microchipped as well.i got her to get vaccinated for rabbies yesterday (the breeder is arranging this meeting and stuff, and she comes with me to the vet as well) she told me that the cat is according to her big and healthy...i still think she should be eating more.ur right 1 pouch of whatever wet food isnt enough for a growing kitten. hope this answers ur question. shes extremely playful and she sleeps alot.

7. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

Bozita can be found on zooplus.co.uk and seapets.co.uk. I believe seapets is a little cheaper than zooplus. The tetra packs I believe are 93% meat content, and the tins (linked in the zooplus URL) are 97%.

Bozita Canned Food 12 x 410 g: Great Deals on Bozita Cat Food at zooplus

Bozita Cat Food

I see no reason why you can't change the food, as long as you do it slowly (mix a tiny bit of new food with the old, and over a period of a week, gradually increase the amount of new and decrease the old until the kitten is completely onto the new food). Doing this gradually will avoid upset tummies :)

As for the transporter, does your little one enjoy treats? My cat has always been very good in a carrier (feeding your kitten in the carrier once she's eating properly will definitely help her get used to it), but one of the methods I've tried is a game of "hunt the treat": Put some treats inside the carrier in different places in order for her to find them. Or even make a line of treats leading her inside the transporter. You can make this into a daily game! :D

Praise her when she's inside the transporter (this may be tricky as you don't want to praise her while she's exiting it!)

#7 Vampyria, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  8. Tje

Tje Banned

1500grams and 12 weeks of age… I am quite shocked you find her a bag of bones. She should look tubby and chubby and well filled out with that weight.

As for your breeder’s advice on feeding, personally I wouldn’t trust nutritional advice given out by a breeder who rehomes cats at 5 weeks old. She is irresponsible. I would be looking for someone who's practices and manners of raising kittens I trusted and respected and I would follow their advice.

I don’t live in the UK, but I do know Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus sell Bozita.

Cat’s are lactose intolerant and shouldn’t be given milk and/or cream.

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

When you say that you feed her 70g of dry Purina food a day, does she eat all that. Because that is a lot of food for a kitten.

I could be wrong but the recommended daily portion for a 12 week old cat would be 40-60g of Purina One Junior. So, if she is eating all that then I am not surprised that she isn't eating any more wet.

If you want to get her to eat more wet, then you will need to start reducing the dry you are feeding her at the same time.

Vampyria is spot on - you can get Bozita from seapets, zooplus or randl pet foods. The tetrapacks contain 93% meat, the tinned food which is a pate 97%. Both of them are about as expensive as 3-4 sachets of whiskas etc a day.

10. karamelkittykat

sorry, thats a typo, i meant 50g not 70.

11. karamelkittykat

thanx guys so much for the help,im going to try the trick with the transporter. thanks so much. gonna order bozita online :)

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

But that's ok - 50g is the daily recommended portion for a kitten your age isn't it. If she is eating all that then there will not be any more room for her to eat wet.

I guess you will need to decide whether you want her to eat wet, and if you do, adjust the amount of dry you feed her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice