Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do I get my cat to use his scratching post again!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Bubba'smom, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Bubba'smom

Bubba'smom Guest

My bubba hasn't used his scratching post for along time, and we had to get grooming people in to cut his nails because they had grown into his pads. It was terrifying for bubba has he is very timid with people he doesn't know let alone people who grab you and cut your nails!
    I know it was the best for him and it was needed to be done, but to see your cat so frightened and crying and wetting himself it was aweful for me and I promised myself I would make sure his nails where checked regularly so we knew when they how long they where. But we know the best thing is for him to get using his scratching post again, he has lost all intrest in it. I wanted to ask everyone does your cat go off using there scratching posts and if so how can I get him using it again? would love to hear everyones idea's!
    Also could another cat have sprayed on it would that put him off? And could buying a new one help? Look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas.:001_smile:

2. chellemich

chellemich PetForums Member

Try spraying it with catnip spray?

3. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

This worked for Molly, as soon as I sprayed it she was all over it again.

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As above ,Spray with cat nip or try the feliway spray.Try different levels .If the one you have is a vertical one ,is it high enough,most cats like to stretch up to scratch.You could get something like this Willow's Recyclable Catnip Cat Scratching Box | Pets at Home which lies flat.Even rough matting may attract.Remember though,if your cat is an indoor cat you will most likely need to clip claws on a regular basis as scratchers dont really keep them short.

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Aww, poor little scaredy cat ( and poor you, it's awful seeing them upset )
    Can't you buy a pair of nail clippers and gently, gradually, get him used to it, one nail at a time? It really is very easy once you have seen how the groomer does it.
    Ferplast Pet Dog Cat Bird Claw Nail Clippers Trimmers | eBay UK
    These are the ones I use and they are very easy to handle, best I have tried.

6. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

You could hang a toy on the scratching post. I also place toys and treats on the top so Ari needs to climb to get them.

7. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

yeah i was gunna suggest ctnip spray or hanging toys off it, but whenever i have baught a cat scratch post all my cats seem to of known what to do and i havent had any problems hope it all works out for you :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice