Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do I get my cat to stop dropping treat pieces on the ground while eating?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by ivy280, Feb 23, 2021.

1. ivy280

ivy280 PetForums Newbie

I recently became interested in training my cat so I got two different kinds of treats. Ivy is a little older than a year and we’ve had her since she was around 4 months and this is the first time she’s ever had treats so it took her a little time to actually realize she’s supposed eat them. When eating her dry food she tends to pick up a mouthful, crunch a little, then the smaller pieces drop back into her food dish and then she eats the little pieces. This is fine for eating as we have a mat but I would really like her to be able to eat the treats without doing this since it just would be a bit cleaner. How could I go about helping her eat the treats all at once or is this something that can’t really be helped?

Photo added because why not!

Attached Files:

queeniz likes this.
  2. queeniz

queeniz Fairytalecat

#2 queeniz, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Sounds like she needs smaller treats or moist treats. You can also use wet food as the training reward. I use a spoon and just let the cat lick the wet food off.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Because cats aren't designed to eat hard dry little pieces of kibble they can't eat the whole thing without swallowing it whole (which many do). I would suggest you not only transition your cat to a wet diet for her normal food, but you find a healthier more species appropriate treat for training.

Wet food on a spoon as suggested, though she probably will still get some spattered, or freeze dried pure proteins. Not matter what you use, there is going to be residue, unless you use very very tiny pieces.

Train on a cleanable surface.

5. Hammystar

Hammystar PetForums Member

What treats are you currently using? I use the Webbox treat sticks. They can be broken down into small pieces and I hold them out between my fingers so they take them end on rather than on the floor or the palm of my hand. You get the occasional crumb but not much.

What are you trying to train her to do?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice