Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do I get direction right?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 6, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

So my homework from agility is to work on Dixie following my hand movements.

At agility we are not supposed to have the toy in our hand (Dixie works for her ball) so how do I encourage her to follow where I want her to go using my hand?

She just kind of loses focus and heads off on her own direction!

2. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I am trying to teach Meg left and right, and away ... for straight ahead ... using her "fetch" (tug toy) ... when I throw it I say the command for the direction I throw it in ... when we are walking I say left or right as we change direction ...

I always use my left and right ...

I am sure someone with more experience will come a long ! But that's sort of how I'm doing it, but whether it works will tell when we next go to agility ... lol xxx Good luck ...

Clare x

3. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

That is how i taught Kez to know left and right and straight on as well because i didnt need any equipment and could be done on a walk

4. flyballcrazy

flyballcrazy PetForums Senior

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Aha, so I could use a clicker. Why did I not think of that?!

So.. I can get her to follow my finger for a short while, so shall I do it and watch for her losing concentration and click and treat before she stops following, then increase the time?

I think I might start up the clicker again think it would be helpful that when we do agility she only gets clicked for doing it right....

*off to search for it*

6. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, why not hold a Banana in the hand you want her to follow?. wayne.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice