Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do I deal with this?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Nellybelly, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I have a little issue with my Bella. She is really a very very sociable dog and loves nothing more than playing with other dogs.
    As a puppy she was entirely submissive and would roll over for any dog for however long it took the dog to finish sniffing her out!
    However, after she came into season, part of this has changed. She is still super sociable and loves to play, but she has a limit as to how long she will tolerate a male dog sniffing her behind. If the male is particularly persistent and doesn't get the message when Bella tries to move away, she will yap at the dog. I think this is perfectly fine and nothing wrong with it...what worries me is that instead of one yap and growl, she sort of chases the dog while yapping at him. I can recall her away from the dog at any point but sometimes the owner of the male dog cannot recall him back, and since the persistent backside sniff Bella wants no more to do with the dog. I resort to picking her up while the owner finally manages to get their dog on a lead and under control so that we can move on with Bella.

I don't think I am handling this correctly though.

She is very sociable and enjoys dog company, so I will keep taking her to areas where she can meet dogs and play with them. The problem with the persistent male dogs is not directly Bella's, but a result of a persistent male dog. It is normal for dogs to snap when they have had enough, but I don't like how Bella also chases the dog while doing this.

I should also mention Bella has been spayed since her firss season and it's been almost 3 months now.

Also to clarify, I am not talking abouton lead situations. IN these instances, the owner can control the dog, and if I see he's been sniffing Bella too long we just walk on with Bella so she doesn't get the chance to get upset. But at the dog park where dogs are off lead, it is not enough for Bella to recall if the dog who is upsetting her keeps following.

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

This is difficult as you are trying your best to move her on but the other dog's owner doesn't have the same control over their dog. Ollie has now started to snap at other dogs who are too over playful, especially puppies, which I don't mind, but as you say, I wouldn't want Ollie chasing them away. A quick snap and growl is all that I accept.

Maybe try to tell the other dog's owner to call their dog away or ask them to come and get their dog. It is very difficult, but maybe if the dog is very perisitant and the owner can't recall their dog, maybe hold Bella and the other dog on the ground, ie holding bella with one hand and holding the other dog with the other hand. This means that bella does not chase the other dog and its easier for the other owner to get their dog if you are holding it.

3. leashedForLife

hey, nb! :--)
    U are absolutely right - she is handling this fine, for dog-manners, but it is teaching her to be defensive about other dogs. :(
    greeting is not the same as harassment, poor girl. :nonod: its no different than having ones butt pinched on public-transit -
    i have stepped on many an instep :rolleyes: and did not apologize.

if this were mine or a clients dog, i would step in-between them - literally get in front of Mr-Nosey and give him a hard look.
    *go on, then!... * in a non-nonsense tone is usually enuf to send such a rude-boyo packing, but if not, a firm
    go home! usually does it; i realize the dog is not At Home, but they flee to the next-best thing, which is their owner. ;)

silly as it may seem, carrying an umbrella + slipping it already OPEN between the 2 dogs, at her butt + his nose,
    also works very nicely as a barrier - just be sure she is not fussed by the brolly, before trying it out.
    U don;t want her to tuck-tail + scoot away - he will just re-acquire his target, and pester her some more. :mad:
    hopefully the umbrella gives the rude-dogs owner time to catch his dog up... and that s/he DOES leash the culprit.

cheers,
    --- terry

4. leashedForLife

hey, 7! :--)
    this is possible if the M-dog is willing to be touched / restrained by a stranger, but can be quite iffy - do be careful about
    the dogs attitude when U reach for a collar, as collar-grabs often trigger snaps from strange-dogs.

the M-dog may also be very frustrated by being kept from his project, so even if he allows U to initially stop him,
    he may Not stand there patiently while his pet-parent saunters over to collect him...
    and again, U may be nipped, bitten, or have a whirling dervish by one hand.

fingers crossed,
    --- terry

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thank you both for your replies.

Good idea about trying to shoo the other dog away Leashed, I just dont want the other dog owner to take offense to this.

Seven_Pets, it's exactly like you say. I am fine with a snap, but I dont like the chasing:(

I think I just need to get more involved and make sure the owner gets the point that their dog has to stop bothering Bella and it has to stop soon!

6. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

read this article -

Flying Dog Press - Suzanne Clothier - He Just Wants To Say "Hi!"

sheds more light on the situation.

and who cares what the other owner thinks? its their dog thats being rude and horrible to poor bella, shes just saying she doesnt want them too! as for why she chases them too - thats normal, shes trying to get them to go away. im guessing shes a smallish breed from what you've said, what shes doing is perfectly normal, even more than that, shes being a well socialsed dog with manners.

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

She is a cross crorssed with a cross lol. I honestly have NO idea what she is, but she is fully grown and only 6.7kg. We rescued her at about 3.5 months from the side of the highway starving with broken ribs.

Here is a picture of her... you can decide what you think she is![​IMG]

I know it's normal behaviour, but I still don't like it when she does that.

8. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

i know i know!

shes pretty x cute :lol:

shes lovely, i know theres lots of stuff that doesnt fit in with human social interactions that we dont like, but you gotta love her for it, shes a well mannered doggy!

i was the same with mine for ages but he was really bad, if a dog would run over and jump on him without slowing down, sniffing or anything he would bite, i was so embarrased and ashamed i used to go mental at him. he then develpoed dog aggression.
    This is now being fixed, gradually, he's back off with other dogs now, and hes having to re learn how to tell a dog to f off correctly, because i kept on at him, hes now scared to tell them, so he waits and waits until he really cant stand it any more. again we're getting there with this too, btu itds taking time.

his road to recovery started when i put him as my top priority and backed him up when a dog was rude, protected him etc so that he didnt have to react.

not saying beautiful bella is like len, just thought you might be interested is all lol remember though, she is a terrier type croxx bitch, chasing is what she does, she doesnt have the size to back herself up so thats what she does, again its normal, if you intervene/back her up more and dont let other dogs try to push her around, i expect she'll improve with that.

#8 JjPhoenix, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Very intersting to read and glad you re making progress:):)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice