Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How do cat shows work?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Eroswoof, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I've always wondered this :eek:

Mine are all moggies so it doesn't apply :lol: but what happens at them? I find it hard to imagine and I've never been to one.

Do they still get all groomed and such? How do they get judged and things?

Em
    xx

2. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

im really curious to im giong to go to one soon but dont understand the titles either an what order they come like grand , bob , havent got a clue :confused:

3. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

Moggies can show! where in the North East are you? two of mine are off to Sheffield on April 16th and you can come along if you want and see the day's events

I show under GCCF with my moggy cats - Indy is the only one with experience but Mabel has her first outing in April

they get vetted in 8:30am-9:30am (ish depends on show)

the cats are penned in a 2ft x 2ft x 2ft pen (or in Indy's case a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft - I get him a double cos he's a bit squashed in a single) they must have a white litter tray, blanket, water bowl - no food until after main judging but then also in white bowl

judges come around with a steward and wee trolleys and get the cats out, mark them against their criteria- owners are banished from the room as this happens

owners and spectators are allowed back in to tend to cats but side classes still being judged, must stay out the way of the judges

results, best of type/show judging...

applause

go home

kerfuffle likes this.
  4. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I'm right in Newcastle upon Tyne!

I'd LOVE to go and see a show :eek: Mine wouldn't like it as they're rescues and really timid :eek: but that's fantastic that moggies can do them too!!!!

What sort of criteria do they judge a mog on?

PS - Indy - haven't forgotten to add you to msn - just had to delete my pm messages so I've lost it :(

Em
    xx

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

the two I'm taking to the show are Mabel - the ex-feral who was thrown out a care whilst pregnant and Indy, her son who I hand raised

most of the mogs I've met when showing are ex rescue/ex feral... it's just if they relax enough

criteria for non peds/ped peds (purebred but no papers) - and other info on certificates etc

courtesy of GCCF Cats

1 person likes this.
  6. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

yeah what are they judged on i would love to enter mine in to a cat show :D

7. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:yikes: I honestly had no idea about this :yikes:

Rep for the information :eek:

WOW

Do they happen often, the shows and things?

Em
    xx

8. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

there's at least one show pretty much every weekend... it's just where they are can be an issue... also the costs can go pretty high, with Indy needing a double pen next month has cost me £74! for 2 cats

also under GCCF rules you must have 13 days between shows... so only 2 shows per month max... this is to prevent epidemics from cats sharing bugs

9. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Ahh :( I'd never have a spare £74 :(

SUPER good luck to your puss though!!

I've msndededed you by the way :D

And hope Marleys family get into it!

Em
    xx

10. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Yes, cats do get groomed for shows! To show my semi-long haired cats I have to bathe them once or twice, at least, followed by drying them and brushing them through...!!! All this takes just under two hours each wash.

For the pure-bred side to it rather than the pet side, a cat needs three certificates/first places to win a title. Neuters get a premier title and entire cats get a champion title. After this, they need 3 more for 'grand' to be added to premier or champion; then 5 for 'imperial' to be added. It is also possible to get 'UK' at certain shows - this requires 2 certificates and is very difficult to get. You also get 'Supreme' if you get the best adult/kitten/neuter at the Supreme - the cat equivalent of Crufts. GCCF have also introduced a new title called the 'Olympian' where cats need 5 certificates at bronze then 5 at silver then 5 more at gold.

If you have been showing an entire cat they could be, will all possible titles, a Supreme UK and Olympian Imperial Grand Champion. They could be neutered and start from scratch and end up being a DOUBLE titled cat with something like 'Supreme UK and Olympian Imperial Grand Champion & Supreme UK and Olympian Imperial Grand Premier'. Though these are super rare. Most cats get to Champion/Premier and that's it.

2lisa2 likes this.
  11. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

it can be a lot cheaper - say with one normal sized cat... can be just £35 :p

my £74 is paying for 2 cats, club entry (lower entry fees, worth it with multiple cats) a larger pen for Indy and an extra entry ticket for mum

edit Indy gets bathed as is high-white and *any* muck shows... I will be attempting to bath Mabel but no idea how that will go, again she is high white. If I ever show Gypsy or Loki then they will just get a thorough brush as they are dark coated

#11 IndysMamma, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  12. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:lol: Bless Indy :lol: I'd like my big boy to have a go, I might start popping some money aside for him...

Em
    xx

13. messyhearts

It costs about £2 or £3 to visit a show so do attend one if you have one close by.

£74 sounds like multiple cats. Most shows charge on average £30 per cat. Expensive due to pens, vetting in, rosettes, show hall hire etc.

14. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

What about Maine coons, or other pedigrees etc, Do they have shows just for that breed. Excuse my lack of knowledge - I,am really a novice on Cats. Not that I want to show my Boy, I would never get All his knots out and twigs glued on him :D. I would like to see how they do these Shows Tho. ta

15. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

yeah I did say it's 2 cats, one with a double pen etc... so tis an exception

am waiting to see how this pair take to showing before deciding who goes to Humberside/Lincs in summer - Indy hasn't shown since the fire and Mabel has never shown before

there are breed and type specific shows - for example in April I am off to the Northern Birman... you also get 'all variety' where all breeds can enter in their own classes, you can get 'type' shows... ie semi longhair... shorthair, the black and white club...

http://www.gccfcats.org has all the info

#15 IndysMamma, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  16. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

thanks for putting that up didnt have a clue how the titles worked :)

17. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

Great info IndysMamma! :thumbup: I'm almost tempted to bring my pet ginger monster along to the one in Doncaster, but I'm not convinced he'll appreciate the car journey and may arrive looking a bit grouchy. :laugh:

18. messyhearts

There are breed shows, so there are Maine Coon shows, but most shows are 'all breed' shows.

The Maine Coon Cat Club has a show in June in Staffordshire if you're interested. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice