Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how did you think of your cat's names

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by princesspeach, Oct 8, 2013.

1. princesspeach

princesspeach PetForums Member

Just being nosey really? how did people come up with their cat's names? It took us ages to think of our little guys name, my hubby and the kids wanted to name him after a super hero, they had 'catman' and 'marvel' lined up. I didn't really like either for him, it didn't seem to suit him, so i was listing hero's, when it got to my mum's hero 'Freddie mercury', and we all just looked at him and thought he was definitely a freddie! so that was it he was called freddie and it suits him through and through.

2. turnips

turnips PetForums Member

We named our kitten Jupiter because he kind of looks like the planet (he's ginger and white, Jupiter is sort of ginger and white?). Also, we thought it was hilarious to name a tiny kitten after the king of the gods.

3. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Jupiter? Cool! 'By Jove!'

4. turnips

turnips PetForums Member

Little Freddie is adorable! I love black and white cats, they always seem to have the best markings - mustaches, eyebrows, once saw one where his whole face was white except his nose- adorable.

Here is Jupiter atop Mount Olympus :)

[​IMG]

5. princesspeach

aww he is gorgeous! i did actually want a ginger kitten, the lady we got freddie from, had two litters from two different mothers at the same time and she had 3 ginger and white kittens which she was selling, and i was torn, but in the end we chose freddie because i was told that as me and my youngest son are both ginger it wasn't fair to have another family member with ginger hair!! how old is jupiter?

6. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Jessie - Cos me and my sis were young, she's black and white so named after postman pats cat! haha

Jack - Was called Sprat from the nursery rhyme Jack Sprat and we didnt like Sprat so he became Jack

Jenson - We got two brothers and we like formula 1, so we named them after our fave teammates [when they were haha] but we've since lost Lewis

JJ - He came to us as Freddy and was not a Freddy to our eyes, so one night watching Strictly Come Dancing last year I was like "James Jordan....James? Jordan?.....JJ? YES JJ!" and there we go

Jimmy - Had such trouble with naming him, he was first to be called Jagger after mick jagger, but it didnt suit him and someone on here suggested Jimmy and it kept going round in my head and it does suit him!

Basically our cats were named after a cartoon cat, a nursery rhyme, a formula 1 driver, a strictly come dancing driver and uh...Jimmy isnt named after anyone! haha

7. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

Our daughter is quite good at naming cats, she chose the names Claude and Bruno Sparkles and is also responsible for the name of my friends cat - General Spooky.

For Nancy I just liked the name, I chose her pedigree name which is Fancy Nancy and I wanted her pet name incorporated into that so it made sense.

8. witchyone

witchyone PetForums VIP

Holly because i got her in off the streets just before xmas. Wasn't sure if she was male or female at the time so Noel, santa and Tinsel were likely names. Dora because she is such an explorer. Had i known Dora loved going in the wardrobe i would have named her Narnia.

9. Mum to Missy

Mum to Missy PetForums VIP

Missy was a stray and we didn't know her name, when I knew I was going to take her in I didn't know what to call her so I started calling her Missy in my mind, so much nicer than 'the cat' and thought I'd think of a better name once she was here, then after a couple of days of being here she turned her head and looked at me when I said Missy, so it's stuck :)

10. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

Loki was named by my fiance (whos marvel mad) as the agreement was i was allowed a kitten if he was allowed to name it. Its the name for the norse god of mischief so suits him well ;)

11. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

My Dennis' name came from a Kate Bush song, In Search of Peter Pan, she says "Dennis likes to look in the mirror, he tells me he is beautiful"!!! Many years ago when I first heard that song, I thought, what a great name for a cat - and it was, a truly perfect cat! As for Flo, I have no idea!

12. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Phoebe's from "Friends".
    Always loved the name :D

13. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

We chose Mary because she looks like OH's Auntie Mary (i aren't kidding!) and she is iconic, stoic and an all round bossy woman.. like my girl!! Auntie Mary laughed her head off about it..Blackie was a nickname that stuck for the black stray cat that kept appearing in my garden. Once he moved in the name had stuck!
    Past cats were..Tiddles (RIP) was chosen because its a damn good cats name. George (RIP) was named by my OH. Tabitha (RIP) was named by me just cause I liked the name..and Annabella (RIP)was given a fussy name because she was a fussy little madam! :)

14. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Paco was Paco because we got her just after we'd been on holiday to Spain. Soozee was after Souixsie and the Banshees (but I didn't know how to spell it!) and Ollie started as Olivia, which seemed a very dignified name for a hamster sized ball of teeth, fur and claws. She was particularly naughty, so it became Oh! Livia!, and eventually she grew into Ollie (or Grumpypants).

15. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

First chose Holly for Molly as she came home on Christmas Eve, but the more we looked at her the more she felt like a Molly :D

Manny is named after Manny Pacquiao the boxer :D he gets called Manfred when he's in trouble :lol:

16. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

Both of mine our named after TV show characters

Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory and Quinn from Glee :D

17. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Is his nickname also 'Pacman'? I always thought of your Manny as more of a lover than a fighter! :001_tongue:

18. turnips

turnips PetForums Member

When we saw Jupiter at Cats Protection the first time, he was with his two sisters, who were both really nice tortie girls. There had been another sister, a longhaired ginger tabby, but she had gone the day before. He was the most timid of the litter by far, but we just really liked him. He's really come out of his shell since though!

He's 12 weeks! How old is Freddie?

19. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Bear was called Sooty when I adopted him.

I figured Bear because he is a large black overweight cat :eek:

20. princesspeach

Freddie is 10 weeks old today! and freddie is definitely not shy or timid, in fact he's completely crazy!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice