Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How did you teach speak??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LostGirl, Jul 12, 2009.

1. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Just wondered if i was an odd person lol :eek:ut:

Oh thinks im mad as i barked at zeb to get him to speak :eek: it worked tho and he knew it within only a very short space of time

i didnt really know how to do it anyother way lol

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have done that before too so that must make us both mad then!! LOL

I am saying 'speak' every time Logan barks for anything else and then will say speak and let my other dog speak and show him what i want so i will cheat really, i have done this with my last 4 dogs i used my 14year old to teach my 10 year old then my 2 year old, now my 14 year old has died i am hoping my 2year old will teach the puppy!!!

And so on and so on!!!

3. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

i got mine to speak by sort of winding them up and not giving them their tripe stick until they spoke for it,
    i can now get them to speak at anytime now whatever we/they are doing :), they even speak on a hand command, x

4. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i just held a treat in my hand showing the dog and asked "what" so many times until the dog barked out of annoyence for not getting the treat, and then quickly after the bark i fed the treat. I repeated it 5 times and now my dogs bark at the question "what" haha :D :thumbup:

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

lol glad i'm not the only one

Hes brilliant now and i only have to the head movement and he'll speak, Im trying big speak and little speak :)

6. reddyrufus

reddyrufus PetForums Member

My friend taught her dog to bark with food, now everytime she eats he barks, drives me mad :eek:ut::D

7. bassetsandbeyond

bassetsandbeyond PetForums Senior

thats the way i taught mine lol;)

8. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I did that with Toffee , sat there barking at him and saying speak , he picked it up really quickly , though my friends and family thought I was nuts , lol ... Gypsy on the other hand isnt interested at all , nothing I do makes her bark ... yet shes a noisy madam when she wants to be , lol

9. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

I say 'Speak' in a very high pitched (annoying) voice :)
    Its only Bruno that does it.
    I say speak about 3 times before he barks, so i think at the start he only barked outta me winding him up.
    Sometimes i bark :blush: and he barks back.
    Ohh it is a crazy world lol

Chloe x

10. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I barked at bear, it works for him and Maya I howled, Barey I think I just got him over excited :001_tt2:

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It's not the speak bit you need to worry about, it's the quiet command that's a bit of a b*gga to teach :D:D:D

12. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

LOL yeah I agree with that!

I taught my dog to speak when she was about 10 weeks old and she took to it like a duck to water to the degree that within 3 days I was cursing myself for thinking it was a good idea. Because it was such a recent thing, rather than teach a "quiet" I ignored it and it faded after a few days but I think "speak" is something you need to think very carefully about - simply because you need to be very competent at teaching a "quiet" as well if it isn't going to become a nuisance. Plus barking is one of those things which is pretty self-rewarding anyway and it doesn't take much to encourage them once they've got the basics lol!

"Paw" can be a pain, too, if you're not careful ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice