UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we looked at each and thought "nutter".....

simples

even nutters need a home

·
We are all Ukraine
23,817 Posts
we wanted a little bitch pup...
they told us they have a black one...

we came and all that was small...was tan male!!!
I was not convinced...but the woman there told me he will be put down due to his injuries and that he is waiting now for a while...:eek:

I changed my mind pretty quickly...

and my toddler was very sure this is Scrip (he said before he is going there to take Scrip home)

Scrip recovered well and is nearly normal ....(ecept times when he is bonkers)...

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Rory was the only one not sitting at the gate saying pick me, pick me- he was the one tearing round in circles ignoring everyone - OH and myself walked down the line of cages to the end without expressing any preferences to each other for any of the dogs - we got to the end (next to some puppies) and asked which one we wanted - he went well I want that one but I suppose you want a puppy - we han't been together long, he didn't know me very well then ;)

Turned out he had lost his kennel mate a couple of weeks earlier, we knew the people who picked him up for years before the penny dropped and they realised who Rory was, never did get to re-introduce them though :(

He had worn his nails down so far that when we took him in for clipping a few months later the vet said their was nothing to clip yet, had bitten his tail so badly the vet thought he might lose it, we had no idea what he was until he put on some weight, I could get my hands round his hind quarters with room to spare so we thought perhaps greyhound x to begin with. The worst thing was he had been in this rescue home for nearly 2 years, it was local so we often bumped into previous carers, none of them could understand why he hadn't been homed before. Glad to say the manager was sacked not long after.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Ziggy was described in the rescue's listing in the local paper ' 18 month old female collie x terrier, timid but friendly, loves to play ball'.

I was looking for a female, smallish collie cross of around that age - had been looking for months. The 'timid but friendly' made me think she wouldn't be too much of a handful, and 'loves to play ball' would make it easy for me to do something with her she'd enjoy, to help bonding.

At that rescue you make an appointment to meet the dog you're interested in, you can't see the others, so they don't get stressed. When I rang to make the appointment, someone had already said they were interested, but I left my number in case it didn't work out with the other people. I got a call back the next day - the other people had never turned up. I met Ziggy later that day and collected her a few days later. I didn't take to her very strongly on first sight, but she ticked all the boxes and I had been looking for a long time. It has worked out very well. She still loves to play ball, I have to be very careful to get her lead on before she spots anyone playing football!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I saw a pic of Dodge on a rehoming site and to be honest he was very funny looking in the pic but it was the story that got me interested. An oldie with a heart murmur that no one wanted. We were living in Bromley and drove down to his foster carer's house in Southampton to visit him one evening.

His heart murmur doesn't interfere with his life at the mo, and many vets think he may be younger than we thought and if not then he is in pretty good nick. How anyone could not want him I do not know, he is so well behaved (when we got him it was to the point of too well behaved) but a slight cheeky side has crept through in the last 6 months. He makes me smile every day and I just hope I make him as happy as he makes me.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I rehomed an adolescent, entire male Dobermann and expected him to live harmoniously with 2 other adolescent males, one of which isnt a very accepting dog. Needless to say it didnt work out, I couldnt handle the time and dedication needed so I took him back to rescue.

So, I decided an adult, submissive, calm bitch would be more suited. We went to a local rescue, chose a bitch but i'd spotted some GSP's in the rescue which I wanted a closer look at so I took them for a walk. In that short space of time, the dog we had decided on had been reserved.

The rescue we went to has an open yard policy where dogs are let out in agreeable groups into the yard to just chill out and mingle with visitors. We sat pondering what to do - should we have another look at the dogs there already, wait until a new batch came in or try a different rescue altogether? As we sat, a little tri coloured collie bitch came to me and kept nudging my arm for attention. She sat beautifully and didnt show any interest in the other dogs. She was so well behaved and sweet and although i'd already seen her in the kennel previously but dismissed her on looks alone, we ended up taking her home.

The sad part was she was in rescue with her litter brother. When we left with her he tried following and looked so confused. I did actually have a little sob to myself as I felt so bad not taking him too. I often wonder what became of him and I hope he landed on his feet like Jessie.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I remember back in 1999 when mwe took on our old Trish (still going strong btw :D). We chose her becasue she was sat down wagging her tail and sending woodshavings flying everywhere :rolleyes:

Sadly, have not been able to take on a rescue since then, Diz came home with me because she was the runt, had mange and diarrhoea - I saved up to take on a health tested pedigree pup but the little ones struggling get me every time :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'd had 2 OES from pups before, so when our 2nd boy died at the grand old age of almost 13, we decided to get a rescue.

I contacted them as I'd heard about one being handed in, but he'd already gone. Within a couple of days I got a call about Harry, he was 8 months old, and was being given up because his owner couldn't afford to feed him. Timewise, I'm pretty sure he'd been a Christmas present, and the novelty had worn off:mad:

I was told he wasn't a typical sheepdog pup, very calm. We weren't allowed to see him for a week as he was being assessed, but as soon as we could, we went to see him. Spent over an hour talking to the rescue lady, and then she said she'd go and get him. She opened the door, and his big furry face poked around the corner, he took one look at us and came rushing in and launched himself at my son.

We took him out in the garden and played with him, and then the lady asked what we thought. I told her that there was no way we were going home without him, so after the paperwork was done, he was ours:D

It was quite a long drive home, but when we arrived, we opened the door, he walked in, had a look around and then settled himself as if to say "I'm home". He settled immediately, and we didn't have a day's trouble with him.

It broke my heart that he'd go out in to the garden and find a stick or stone, and sit down to play with it. He wasn't used to having any toys of his own, but that all changed because we had a big box of toys for him, and he soon learned to play with them.

He was half the weight he should've been, a flea ridden matted mess when we got him, but as you can see from my avatar, he grew up to be the most gorgeous handsome boy ever.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looking at Border Collie rescue sites and in a weak moment:

Good job I didn't see him/her first - just love BC's. I'll have to find a picture of Jamie (my first and very special dog (tears flowing at the mo). Had decided I wanted a dog and we were liviing in the country at the time and therefore a lot of BC's about, however I was going to do it properly. I bought a DVD showing the different breeds of dog, which I was going to study, and I was definitely going to get a female. Well, I went to the RSPCA and fell in love with Jamie's (yes male!) ears and , as they say, the rest is history. He was my bestest friend for 15 years (more tears flowing!)

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts

·
Mongrelist
6,163 Posts
I wanted a little staffie or staffie x bitch, I was adamant about that. They were just the right size, with a low maintenance coat and just ticked all the boxes.
I saw a gorgeous, sad looking GSD bitch on the dogs' home website who tugged at my heartstrings but reluctantly dismissed her because although I'd always loved shepherds I wasn't really after another big dog. When I then visited the DH, as I made my way along the first row of kennels said GSD bitch was in the second or third one along. Just standing there, nose pressed up against the wire, wagging her tail and looking at me with pleading eyes. She had me at hello :laugh: I did go on to look at all the other dogs but I needn't have bothered :eek:
How could I resist this face?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
My parents picked the dog we had when I was child. He had only just been picked up that day, after being abandoned. He lay in the back of his kennel, and was very quiet. They saw him out the kennel, and he was a friendly chap. So, they picked him (my mum liked how quiet he was). We had to wait a week to pick him up in case someone claimed him, but no one did so he was ours :D My mum went to pick him up, and soon regretted her decision... She isn't a dog person, and Sam just spun in circles on the lead all the way to the car :lol: He then refused to get into the boot, so he went on the back seat :lol:

He soon wormed his way into my mums heart though, and she ADORED him. He soon came out of his shell, and that quiet dog at the kennel was left behind! He was a great dog to grow up with, he had a temperament to die for, was so well behaved and gave some amazing cuddles :D Oh, I loved that boy...

Jake was a puppy when we got him from the rescue... he was just the most friendliest of the litter, and wanted to be next to us so he was the obvious choice :D

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Piper was only 10w old when we got her. We had been talking about getting a dog for a while, but hubby wanted a manly dog, so first we went with a rescue Mal. I am afraid to say I couldnt cope and after the trial period he went back to the rescue (he is in a home much more suited to him now). I wanted a CKCS, but hubby said no.

Found the Many Tears website on here and was looking on it when saw Piper (named Almond by the rescue). She had been abandoned by the side of the road, in Ireland, with littermates when about 7w old. There was something about her and i just applied (hubby was not amused).

At first, we were told she was reserved. I checked back the next day and the reserve was gone. Applied again (my only criticism of MT, wont keep details of back up parties, have to check and reapply). They said no as they had someone else going through the application process. A day later still nothing so applied again. This time we were first in, but told no as we both work full time. Phoned up to explain hubby worked shifts, I could work from home when needed. They accepted that. (I now work from home full time as i prefer it).

That was the Thursday. We collected her on the Tuesday. Hubby's first reaction was "great, we've got a rat". She was tiny and the first thing she did was bite my chin. We were told a terrier collie cross. Not sure i can see the collie. She is however a "decent manly size dog, not a rat" so hubby is happy and he actually adores her (she is totally his dog).

I wish i had a picture of her when she was a puppy on this laptop!

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I had always found big black dogs to be something quite special but OH and I had decided that a collie would suit us so had planned to travel down to visit a centre the next morning.

In the night he suddenly thought of a rescue centre closer to us but they mainly deal with staffies but thought it might be worth a visit, no harm done if we don't see a dog we like.

So off we went for a look. There we both kept going back to a big black xrottie 12 mths, he was quiet, his coat was incredibly dull, he looked very sad. He was a stray so they had no history. I asked to walk him and he pulled me all over the place, he had absolutely no idea how to walk on a lead!

We decided that he was the one. OH sat in the back with him on the way home and was licked and slobbered all over for the duration! He was anxious (Dog not OH) and had a fear of sticks, brooms etc.

Horace bonded with us quickly and the first month was hard work in terms of walking on a lead and excitment at seeing other dogs but we worked on that (still are) and things are very much improved! I can't believe our luck at finding him, he is an absolutely wonderful affectionate boy.

The first picture was taken the evening we brought him home from the rescue, the second was taken 3 months later.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Well I was hoping to get a pup but got told about Oscar who had been in rescue for a couple of days went down to look at him and he came home with me that day. It was love at first sight :D

With Sam he was with the same rescue from birth it felt like he should be with me and I was lucky enough to be able to bring him home when he was old enough. So I was able to get my pup and rescue at the same time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.