Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How did she die?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by thedogsmother, Jul 17, 2009.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My friend has just lost her pet rabbit, she checked her every day but due to ill health she didn't actually pick her up for two days and then yesterday she found her dead and her bum had loads of maggots on it and the skin was all raw and open, she is distraught and can't belive this could have happened so quickly. So can someone answer a couple of questions for her
    1. What killed her?
    2. Did she suffer?

Oh just to add she normally lived indoors but with the weather being so hot she had been outdoors for a couple of weeks.

2. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

flystrike springs to my mind but ill wait for others opinions

3. thedogsmother

Thanks Rachh, just looked fly strike up and it certainly sounds like that was what happened, poor little girl what a horrible way to go.

4. frags

frags PetForums VIP

yes hun it sounds like fly strike, it is a horrible way for a bun to go and im sorry to have to say she would have suffered but maybe you shouldnt tell your friend this as im sure she is already very upset.
    fly strike is every buns owners worst enemy.

R.I.P little bunny run free x

5. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Aw poor bunny!! :(

6. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Horrible thing Fly strike...:(

R.I.P little bunny xx

7. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Yes flystrike can kill very quickly and it is important to teach your friend about it incase she has or gets another rabbit.
    It is a terrible thing and the poor rabbit would ahve been in a terrible state .
    I truly am sorry but in the kindest way possible explain what happened to your friend to educate her for another time.
    Sleep well little bun xx

8. thedogsmother

She is so upset and said she can never replace her but her daughter is trying to talk her into having a couple of guinea pigs, can they get fly strike? I have told her what would have happened but I lied and said she wouldn't have suffered:blushing:, I don't think she could have coped if I had told her the truth as she is still very poorly herself, but if the guinea pigs (if they get them) can get it I will need to tell her how to avoid it.

9. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww poor little bunny, R I P, i dont know if guinea pigs can get it, :confused: i have only known of rabbits to get it,

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

All animals can get fly strike.

11. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

Oh the poor bunny!! :(

12. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Aww I'm so sorry to hear about your friends bunny.:sad:
    I've had guinea pigs and rabbits for years and been very lucky because I've never encountered flystrike at all. I think she should be okay with piggies as long as she keeps an eye on them or maybe has them indoors.

13. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

flystrike occurs when a bunny isnt being handled and check at least twice a day in these warmer conditions, in order to be able to handle a rabbit, you have to spend a lot! of time with it to get it to trust you, in addition you have be fit and capable yourself.

Guinea pigs although much smaller and easier to handle can and will still bite and kick if they are not slowly trained to like human company and trust you, training a young guinea pig takes a lot of time and commitment, I would say at least a good hour every day, plus cleaning and feeding. Getting older rescue guinea pigs will probably still need the same commitments as they will be nervous.

I would advise your friend to wait until she is fully recovered, buy some good books and read as much as possible online (because the books are all outdated). Consider the daily commitment, the costs of vet bills and vaccinations, and the commitment to the pets life 5 - 10 years. (particularly if her health could get worse). If buying for a child, it is still the adults resposibility (why children cant buy pets) the adult must train the child to care for the pets correctly, and regularly check they are doing everything right, also children usually get bored of pets within a month.

14. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

yeh, guinea pigs can get fly strike, as someone said, any animal can get it. Luckily I have never had a rabbit or guinea with it but we did have a cat when I was younger that had it, the vet said she could have eaten food with fly poo on it.

*Heidi*

15. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

yea all animals can get fly strike she needs to make sure she checks the animals a few times a day making sure they are clean and hutch and bedding is clean, it happens really fast so regular checking shud be done, poss u a fly strike spray

16. thedogsmother

Thanks everyone for your answers, I will pass on the info if she gets some guinea pigs.

17. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

I agree sadly, if she is so ill and her bunny died from fly strike as good as her intentions are it dosnt sound like she is fit and well enough to look after animals.

What if she got very ill again and coudlnt check the animal again? id hate to think of another animal dying in agony.

Im sure she is lovely but maybe she should wait a while.

18. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I agree Im sorry but that bunny died of neglect. :(

19. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

I've been thinking about the bunny all night, to be blunt i really cant believe anyone would consider rushing out to replace an animal that died by being eaten alive from the inside out and i cant believe anyone would encourage her to potentially repeat the process :(

Please tell her to concentrate on herself and getting better.

20. thedogsmother

I have been thinking a lot about your posts, for one thing she is not rushing into buying another pet nor is she being "encouraged" to get another pet, she is talking about getting guinea pigs some time in the future, but not to replace her rabbit who was an individual and cannot be replaced. I personally have a good knowledge of pet care and have learned a lot more about pets since I joined the forum but although I had heard of fly strike I did think it happened warmer countries. She checked the rabbit every day but was not well enough to actually pick the rabbit up for two days. When she is ready to get another pet I will make sure she is very well informed about the condition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice