Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How did I get it so wrong?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BenMac, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

I feel sick and like a complete fool :cryin:
    I'm not an idiot...or at least I never considered myself to be one. I came on here earlier today feeling happy that I'd found the "ideal" dog for our wee family, showing off her photos and praising her up. I've put in some serious dog hours in my life...have fostered for a variety of rescues and have owned and trained my own lovely GSD's.

But this...this has just blown all that to hell.

Tonight I have had new girl Tia, try to rip Poppy's throat out. And no, it wasn't rough play or anything like that, Poppy didn't provoke it in any way, shape or form. I have also had contact from a very frantic former owner, who contrary to the bull***t story that was told to the council kennels, only rehomed her a week and a half ago to her new owners. Who rehomed her with strict instructions that she was NOT safe around anything small and furry because she would catch and kill. This was her "job" when he had her....she was used for "pest control" and so anything wee and furry is prey to her, rabbits, rodents and little dogs etc. He outright told me that he would not trust her around anything smaller than Border Collie size. She was passed on as a working dog and as far as he knew she was going to similar situation as the new owner already had a dog similar in nature and had assured him that dog would be returned to him if any problems arose.

The council kennels operate on the information that is provided with dogs handed in. We sign a waiver agreeing that these dogs are "strays" and that history may not be known...so kennels cannot be accountable for behaviours after rehoming. Tia had been there for a week...wormed, flead and observed...then I took her. She may have been in kennels with other dogs...but I know for a fact that there were not any other dogs there smaller than a long legged Staffy and obviously no cats.

When her original owner got a voicemail message from Tia's former vet informing him of Tia's new whereabouts and home situation, he panicked. Was very upset on the phone...as I was....when speaking to him about what had happened. During the course of the evening...Poppy and Tia didn't really have anything to do with one another. Poppy was her usual self....lying on sofa beside me, she doesn't like to do terribly much more than that to be honest. First wee warning was when she went to jump down off the sofa. Tia lunged with an open mouth. I shouted her back...thought that maybe she'd just been startled by Poppy jumping down. But no...it got to the stage where Poppy wasn't going to be allowed to move. I got off the sofa, Poppy followed me....and Tia was on her in a heartbeat. I snatched a glass of orange squash off the table and chucked it in Tia's face. Wee tiny window of surprise and I just picked Poppy up and literally threw her out the living room door and slammed it shut. Once Poppy was out of the room...Tia was quiet enough, but really "wired" like a wee switch had been thrown :blink:. I went out to check on Poppy and shut Tia in the living room. Poppy was a wee shaking heap,lying in her own pee :cryin: Luckily...no open wounds from Tia or broken bones from being tossed out the door. But her wee head must be completely screwed up. I shut her and the cat in the kitchen. Her old owner has warned me not to leave them alone at any time...not flippin likely now, I can assure you. I am driving to Aberdeen in the morning, to give Tia back to him. He will either keep her with him or find her a job to do elsewhere. I cannot keep her in the house for the rest of the weekend, Poppy...and me...are already nervous wrecks.. Kennels closed till Monday and I have a piece of paper telling me that I can't hold them responsible for any behavioural issues.

So there you go...the shortest rehoming in history and I now feel like the biggest fool as well.

Do your worst with the comments if you feel you must...It won't make me feel any worse than I already do. I probably deserve to feel embarrassed and humiliated.:(

2. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I can only imagine how you feel :(

You did nothing wrong. It sounds like it escalated pretty fast, and even though you tossed Poppy through the door you did it to protect her from being hurt further, Im sure Poppy will be fine.

I would think they would asses her before she came to you to see how she was with other dogs of different sizes.

3. pretty flowers

pretty flowers PetForums Junior

Wow, how scary. It's not your fault, especially when tia was so quiet when she met poppy at the kennels :(
    big hugs to you and lovely poppy x

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Not all kennels do.. Pounds with a seven day hold some dont do home checks either.. :(

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for all of you. It isn't your fault though.

6. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

I had Poppy at the kennels with me for an hour...it's not like Dog Trust or similar. To be honest...as long as you have id and look halfway sensible...you can go in, pick a dog and go home with one.

#6 BenMac, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  7. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

No no home check...just in and out as I said. It is a council run 7 day pound.

As I said...i'm fully prepared to take a flaming for this. I made a mistake. It's been very tense here this morning...have had to shut Poppy and Kyla away in my bedroom and just keep the back door open for Tia to be in and out the garden. I've barely slept, went to bed around 3am and got back up with Tia around 6am. Trying to maintain a calm exterior to her as she's agitiated enough in herself. But really i'm gutted that things worked out this way.

#7 BenMac, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I am so very sorry to hear your news; at least you and Poppy weren't injured. I don't think that there is any need at all to feel humiliated and certainly no need for flaming, you could not have forseen the situation and what is done, is done :(

9. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hope you get it sorted out and both dogs are okay :) dont blame yourself doesnt always work out way you want it :)

10. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

I know...but it's hard not to feel like a f***wit.

Tia is doing what Tia has been brought up to do, so I certainly don't put any blame at her door. I have a feeling that something bad has happened with the owner before me and they've got a fright, panicked and taken her to the pound. They'd know that an "aggressive" dog would not be considered for rehoming...so they've told a few lies to get the pound to accept her. They couldn't have had her for more than 2 days themselves as her original owner only let her go just under 2 weeks ago and the pound will have had her for 7 days with them before advertising her to be rehomed.

11. new westie owner

Some people lie to get dog taken into pound sad but true :( i had gsd years ago from cardonald was told great with kids dogs all that got her home she was nervous wreck always broke free onto road with me and oh chasing her but we gave her all love we could she was still nervous but loads better seems she was guard dog in scrap yard was only 1 year old when we got her she died of brain tumour aged 12 :(

12. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Her original owner was very upset and concerned to hear that Tia had ended up in the pound like that. Because as he very honestly admitted to me...Tia is just not safe to be rehomed into a "family" home. First offlead walk would have turned into a killing spree with any wee furry things that happened across her her path. She's very good at what she does apparently...and I can see that she pobably would be. I live in the outskirts of a small town...with lots of farmland and estate land all around me. As far as he knew, Tia was being rehomed to a rural area to continue doing what she was good at. He never "home checked" either as he thought that telling people she was capable of killing things...would be enough of a deterrent to reasonably intelligent people and stop them trying to have her as a "pet".

I'll be leaving with her around 9am...it's been a very long night.

13. shells

shells PetForums VIP

Aww big (((((hugs))))) to you all. Dont feel bad hun you cant help what has happend i hope you have a good journey and at least she will be with her original owner who nows her properly and can sort her out poor lass xx

14. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Dont feel bad, it really sounds like you were misled, and be thankful that you can get out of it without any further damage for both dogs sake and yours.

You tried but it is clear that it is not right, so please dont feel hard on yourself.

15. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Yeah...i'm really glad that nosiness got the better of me yesterday and that I managed to track him down. He knows her better than anyone.

16. new westie owner

Best of luck let us know how it goes :)

17. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

No flaming coming from me. I'm just sorry that you have had such a bad experience :( Please do not blame yourself, you did not know what Tia's previous 'job' was.

Hugs to all of you.

18. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Oh how awful :( you must have been in bits when it happened- so glad Poppy wasn't physically really hurt- and good on you for tracking down Tias original owner- the council may have had to put her down, so she has another chance thanks to you. You aren't omnipotent, you weren't to know that Tia would have such an extremem reaction :( xx

19. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Glad you and Poppy are both okay, Don't blame yourself-you couldn't have known that she would be like this especially after her and poppy were fine in the field at the pound.

Have a safe journey, and Tia is going to the best place where she can continue doing her 'job'. :)

20. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

(Hugs) to Poppy, is she ok now? I dont know why you are blaming yourself though, you took your dog to the kennels to meet her and they seemed ok together so what more could you do, it sounds like either the kennels or the people who sent her there have acted very irresponsibly, I hope you ring them on Monday and let them know just how badly this could have ended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice