Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How concerned should I be?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SusieRainbow, May 3, 2021 at 8:05 PM.

1. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Ths afternoon I had Reena snuggled next to me on my chair and Bobby decided he wanted to snuggle too. He started to step over from the sofa and Reena glared and growled. I was moving her over th my other side and she got Bobby's ear in her mouth n a snap. Bobby didn't even notice, there was no hint of reaction from him,he just settled down next to me and went to sleep as did Reena on the other side of me.
    I'm well aware of some degree of resource guarding with them towards me and OH but they will then snuggle down together and sleep.
    Does it seem likely that this behaviour will escalate? Generally speaking Bobby is pretty respectful of Reena's signals and happy to back down , but not where OH and I are concerned.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Might Reena have some pain, joint pain maybe, that caused her to lash out a bit when being moved?

LinznMilly and SusieRainbow like this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think so, I lift her up onto my lap numerous times a day and she never flinches.
    She was probably just a bit sleepy and grumpy thinking about it.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't worry, particularly if Bobby didn't seem worried :)

LinznMilly and SusieRainbow like this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

He was not at all bothered, I just don't want things to escalate. They are usually pretty good together.

LinznMilly and O2.0 like this.
  6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Sounds as if he is well used to her method of communication :)

Something and nothing I would think. If you make an issue of it, it may become an issue,
    I'm sure you will notice if it starts to escalate

7. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I have more or less the same thing with my two. Grisha's not allowed on my knee because he's too large and heavy, so he stands with his front paws and head on my lap. Sometimes if Gwylim comes along and does the same Grisha will air snap at him. Gwylim doesn't take a blind bit of notice, The strange thing is, it never happens if Gwylim is sitting or standing on my knees.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I'm with 02.0 on this and I don't think you need to worry unduly. At least you are aware and can take action if need be. Two of mine can be a bit the same, especially if Shimmer has come for a cuddle and Holly sees her. Holly will try and push her out of the way and take her spot virtually on my knee. There is no growling or snapping but if there was then both would be told to lie down on the floor - end of.

O2.0 and SusieRainbow like this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

On hindsight that's probably what I should have done.

cheekyscrip and rona like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice